The Kickstarter for "Takedown" has reached its goal, and is now being funded!

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Edit: It worked! Thanks guys!

It would be really great if we could actually make this happen. This particular Kickstarter project hasn't been too successful, and there's only one week left to donate. Just recently the creators have responded to people's cricitism and updated the page. New information, details, and concept art is now up, as well as the working title "Takedown". (Pretty sweet name if you ask me.)

It's a shame, because if they would've thought of all this a long time ago, the Kickstarter might be doing better. Unfortunately there's only a week left and they're not even halfway there yet.

If something like ~8,000 people contribute the minimum of $15 over the next 7 days, they could meet their $200,000 goal. So how about it? The last real, tactical, CQB shooter that came out is SWAT 4, and that was in 2005. Surely you can pitch in a few bucks to encourage the development of better shooters than Cawadooty.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355932838/crowdsourced-hardcore-tactical-shooter

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
so if you pledge and they don't make it, then you lose your money and get nothing?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
their description of the game certainly sounds interesting. no gameplay videos or anything like that?

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Sorry, if there isn't someone for me to put my trust in to at least possibly make a great game, I'm not going to go for it.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
their description of the game certainly sounds interesting. no gameplay videos or anything like that?

No. The purpose of the Kickstarter is so they can get funding to start work on an alpha (and to show investors that it's financially viable). I know it's easy to say "Well, that's questionable" because there isn't any product to speak of yet, but considering the credentials of the team behind it, you should have no reason to worry. The lead guy has worked for several large developers, the most important one being Red Storm, who created the original Rainbow Six games.

"Takedown" is supposed to be a spiritual successor to SWAT and Rainbow 6. To get an idea of what a tactical shooter is like, look up Youtube videos of SWAT 4, and also the older Rainbow 6 (original game from 1998) as well as Rogue Spear.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I pledged the $15. I miss games like this very much and with the guy that created R6 I'm willing to take a shot at this.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
The game will undoubtedly be terrible, as all R6 sort of games were. This sub-type of games died for a reason, no one likes them. the same way my favorite sort of game died (Arena FPS ala Q3/UT2k4).

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
The game will undoubtedly be terrible, as all R6 sort of games were. This sub-type of games died for a reason, no one likes them. the same way my favorite sort of game died (Arena FPS ala Q3/UT2k4).

You seem to have contradicted yourself here. "The game that I like died because no one liked it." :)

The market for tactical shooters definitely exists. It's small, but it's there.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Swat 4 was one of my favorite games, it was frustrating as hell at times. I remember 1 mission I had to play like 500 times before I passed it (seriously) I think I took 3-6 month breaks 2 or 3 times in between. Nothing like spending 25 minutes on a mission where everything was done perfectly only to have a psycho you're after shoot a hostage lol.

I will donate money when I have it soon, this could be the Swat 5 that never will be from Sierra.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

Nexuiz or whatever it's called will be on steam soon, its an arena fps.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
I backed the project, thanks for starting this thread as it reminded me I needed to get this sorted when I had the cash.

$15 seems pretty low though for a full game, it works out about £9.40 which is nothing especially for a 3D shooter that promises lots of depth.

I am not very optimistic this is going to take off and even if it scrapes the 200K mark its going to take more money to finish it off

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I backed the project, thanks for starting this thread as it reminded me I needed to get this sorted when I had the cash.

$15 seems pretty low though for a full game, it works out about £9.40 which is nothing especially for a 3D shooter that promises lots of depth.

I am not very optimistic this is going to take off and even if it scrapes the 200K mark its going to take more money to finish it off

$200,000 will bring TAKEDOWN to Alpha. Private investors are lined up, but unsure of the market for an old-school tac shooter. A successful Kickstarter campaign will convince them that this is a viable market. Along with their investment, pre-sales of the game (A $15 Kickstarter pledge is a significant discount on the final game price) will also contribute to completion of the project. Kickstarters will have access to a closed Alpha.

Q: $200,000 is a lot of money, but doesn't seem enough to fully fund the game.

A: We have investors (not publishers, but VC folks) who are interested but unsure if there is truly a market for real tac shooters. This seed money will be enough to fund startup and show the investors the market is real.
It's all in the website if you take the time to read it.

Last edited:

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
I'm in. I'll be glad to see another tactical shooter. I wasn't a fan of R6 much, but I was a huge SWAT4 fan. Even though I prefer the arcade shooters, I hope this works out well and I'll certainly give it the old college try when it's released.

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002

i played the original ghost recon games. they weren't bad but different than normal shooters. all the work was in setting up your ambush and positioning your team for a crossfire and then giving the order to fire.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010

What are you talking about? Rougue Spear was awesome! And I believe reviewed quite well. They made several (and expansions) so someone must have liked them..

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
What's funny is the worst one out of the bunch, was the one I liked the most. The Sum of All Fears. I remember having a lot of fun with that one's multiplayer. I've backed Wateland2 and Zpocalypse, so not looking to back anything else at the moment.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I missed that it will have co-op. i just put in $15 for backing.

Last edited:

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
I backed it for $25. Original Ghost Recon is by FAR by favorite game ever, so happy to back something that in theory sounds closer to that. The website says he has private funding lined up if they can hit the $200k campaign...hoping it works.