The Jussie Smollett Affair

Page 41 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Facts? Who needs facts? Just listen to what the MSM reports and accept that as the tell-all-be-all.

He was just a poor little kid that didn't do anything wrong! See all these cute old photos of when he was a poor little boy?

trayvon-martin.jpg

I mean that is the crux of the problem, right? People listen to the MSM. The MSM presents everything in an incredibly bias manner - and no one takes the time to read the court case, pay attention to the evidence presented, and the FACTS of the actual situation. They just take whatever narrative was presented to them and they run with it full charge.

I mean, who actually ever saw these images presented by the MSM? I never did.
Yeah you know he went to space camp right? Like actual astronomy camp.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah you know he went to space camp right? Like actual astronomy camp.

I don't know what your point was, but, a small detail to correct. It was not space camp, but a STEM program focused on aviation. He attended in 2009 so roughly 3 years before his death.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
WTF is this the LEAD STORY in the news media??????????????
THIS is nothing but tabloid news. And the major news sources treats this tabloid crap as if #1 anyone really gives a damn and #2 its all #2. #2 KAKA.
This is whats so F-ked up about America and why we are so retarded as a nation.
What is important the media will never talk about, yet this tabloid Paris Hilton crap they embellish.
Donald Trump is wrong.
We do not have fake news, we have no news at all.
And people suffer and their taxes are rising sky high and we are lied to daily by our president and 99.99 % of our politicians and people are still in poverty working for $10 an hour and all the media can come up with is tabloid news?
We're F-ked.....

Neither you nor Trump get to decide the truth. This guy used race to further himself in a major way that could have resulted in harm to others in terms of seeking revenge. It is not acceptable when Trump does it and it's not for this guy. Justice demands both are treated for what they have done and if some escape it? That is our fault as a society and we are not yet done with Mr. Trump and others.

You are diverting like Trumpians with "whataboutisms". Everything stands or falls on its own merits and ignoring a wrong is wrong. We know what Trump is and represents and none of it has anything to do with this particular issue.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
This is not tabloid news. It could've lead to real riots and affected our national politics and discourse if it was real. But you probably knew that already. If the story had been legit, you know you wouldn't be discounting it as tabloid trash. You're simply in denial.

https://abc7chicago.com/jussie-smol...eing-charged-with-disorderly-conduct/5148577/

Moron is in custody.

Good press conference. The police chief does a nice job explaining why what Smollett did was so wrong. Also CPD did a good job investigating this.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Police have a copy of the check Jussie Smollett wrote to pay the brothers for this crime.

The police found a clue when they looked at the For section of the check and he wrote: "Beating."

Seriously messed up and gives the Trump forum racists something else to whine about.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Willing to give Jussie credit for inciting riots yet Trump calls the press the "enemy of the people", journalists are attacked yet Trump has nothing to do with it?

Defending members of the press being called "enemy of the people" in this topic? What?

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
The police found a clue when they looked at the For section of the check and he wrote: "Beating."

Seriously messed up and gives the Trump forum racists something else to whine about.

Maybe they should get his tax returns. I hear that's where people list illegal activities that they are involved in.

LightPattern

Feb 18, 2013
I'm sorry but this absolutely REEKS of victim culture mentality akin to poop swastika.

If someone hates this actor - they track him down and they beat the shit out of him like the racist fucking scumbags that they are.... or maybe they randomly spot him and do it. If you're that adamant to the point of tracking someone down I would also suspect you're stupid enough to murder.

HOWEVER - They don't "assault him at 2AM.... tie a rope around his neck... and pour some bleach on him"... I'm sorry, but that's just not how dumb fucks operate. They don't carry bleach in bottle or something, this just sounds preposterous. They also don't carry spare rope unless they (wait for it...) are actually going to hang someone with it.

Also, racist white klan folks in Chicago? Not sure what you're smoking, that's not what I ever see in Chicago, and I've been there plenty. It's also INCREDIBLY fucking hard to catch someone alone in Chicago without some eye-witness accounts.

I honestly at this point doubt this - because it just reeks of bullshit based on the fabricated story. I can only hope that over time the truth comes forward. I also suspect it isn't what people here want to believe it is.
Wow... turns out you were spot on.

Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Between that and the check, this looks like a fairly open and shut case.

Will Congress still pass an anti-lynching law in his name?

This sucks. So it looks like he very much played on being a victim to try and get ahead. Used the anger in society to try and get ahead. What he did was give evidence of this type of act to the Right that has been claiming this to be real for a while. Now they have explicit proof that it has been done and will point to it every time something else happens.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
“Considering how many people still delude themselves over some of those names up there”

Got one!

If you still thought he was chased and gunned down while walking home with tea and Skittles, you are sorely mistaken. For one, it wasn’t even tea, but more on that later.

Trayvon Martin was not ambushed and murdered on his way home. He made it home, then went back and ambushed George Zimmerman. Zimmerman was on his back with Trayvon on top beating his head into the sidewalk when Zimmerman defended himself with lethal force. All of this is backed up by evidence and witness testimony.

Zimmerman was on his way back to meet an officer after 911 told him they didn’t need him to follow Trayvon. He did not continue against their wishes as many falsely believe, and I don’t just mean that it wasn’t a request/order. They said “we don’t need you to do that” and he immediately agreed/complied (“OK”) and began looking to meet the police.

Trayvon’s Skittles and Arizona Watermelon Fruit Juice Cocktail were two of the three ingredients that he and his friends used for their own self-described “fire ass Lean,” with the third ingredient being Codeine or DXM cough syrup that he could not just buy from the convenience store. He was walking through private property, between houses, and reportedly appeared high while looking at each house. Trayvon was just staying with his dad after being suspended from school so he obviously didn’t have anything to do with the attempted break-in that happened there two weeks earlier, but you can see why people would be concerned about him taking shortcuts through their yards.

Why was he suspended? It wasn’t because of that time he was caught with stolen property and the “burglary tool” used to steal it (screwdriver). Oh no. He was suspended for arranged fights where he would fight MMA-style and demand a rematch when he didn’t feel his opponent had “bled enough.” On the other hand Zimmerman’s MMA instructor said he was a cream puff who wasn’t cut out for it. This didn’t stop the media from portraying Zimmerman as a trained MMA fighter with a bloodlust and Trayvon as an innocent young boy... with childhood pictures to complete the illusion. Let’s not forget that Trayvon was 17 and at/near peak physical fitness. He was practically an adult.

So why did Trayvon return to confront and attack Zimmerman after making it home? Well, we obviously can’t ask him, but paranoia and aggression are consistent with codeine/DXM abuse, as well as the liver damage seen during his autopsy. If you think a bloodthirsty racist hunting him down and shooting him after calling the police makes more sense, you’re delusional.

People routinely claim Zimmerman didn’t have a scratch on him and was not even detained by the police. In reality, he was taken in for nearly 5 hours of questioning and he had multiple injuries including bloody lacerations on his head (with blood running from the top of his head to his back), two black eyes, broken nose, bruised lip/cheek, and a minor back injury. Even more physical evidence, like grass stains, confirm that Zimmerman was the one on the ground exactly as he stated.

Zimmerman says that Trayvon tried to get the gun after repeatedly saying he was going to kill him. You don’t have to believe him: the shooting was still a justified self-defense based on all the other evidence. On that note, he won based on self-defense alone without invoking the Stand Your Ground defense. SYG was not a factor at all no matter what the outraged people who want to abolish it tell you.

If you think Zimmerman was not supposed to have the gun according to the Neighborhood Watch rules and guidelines, you are also mistaken. He founded The Watch. The code absolves The Watch itself of liability when someone, like Zimmerman, uses their personal firearm. He is a resident with the same Constitutional rights as any other. He didn’t lose his right to protect himself because he started a Neighborhood Watch in response to break-ins. That’s silly.

If you didn’t know this, you are the media’s tool. You should be angry. You should be asking yourself how they could so completely distort reality and convince you of the exact opposite. You should have your BS detectors set to HIGH to prevent this from happening again.
You have some kind of sourcing for this info, right? A couple links... something?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
This sucks. So it looks like he very much played on being a victim to try and get ahead. Used the anger in society to try and get ahead. What he did was give evidence of this type of act to the Right that has been claiming this to be real for a while. Now they have explicit proof that it has been done and will point to it every time something else happens.

Lol, apparently a sad face counts as a negative vote to me.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I think I've guessed your joke, but...

1: Even if Guilty, he might not see the inside of a prison.
2: People being attacked in our custody is a grievous violation and dereliction of our duty. It should NEVER happen.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I've just read somewhere that he gets paid $65,000 per episode of "Empire" show by Fox, and the show typically airs 18 episodes a year. That amounts to $1.17 M annual income for this dude just from the show. And as an actor I would assume he could make more via endorsements, speeches, or even appearances. I am not saying he would not have grievance if he had actually been assaulted. But making false accusation of such kind and magnitude is different because it presupposes that he is aware of the social and historical struggle of those victim groups, and that their financial suffering is a big part of it.

I hope he gets the maximum sentence the law allows for the kind of crime he committed and then some. This is an opposite of hate crime in that his lies give rise to justifiable suspicion to future actual victims and on top of that he brought disrepute to the social movements that so many have fought for in so many ways. And he should serve as a warning for potential future drama queens who dare think about using their imagined victimhood status to gain personal advantage.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Regardless of what Smollett did, it's on us if we decide this incident is reason to disbelieve the claims of hate crime victims going forward. Every report of such an attack needs to be fully investigated as the CPD did in this case. Kudos to them for handling this thoroughly and professionally to get to the truth, both before and after Smollett's story started sounding fishy.

I would hope both sides can at least agree on that.

Reactions: UglyCasanova