The Joe Biden sexual assault allegation

Page 106 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I just don't believe her at all. There is no credibility or supporting evidence to her story.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
The concerned Squad only deals in factual statements! Jhhnn is very factual!
No, they only deal in concern.

No, you can use your own reason and determine what you think is most likely.

Just to clarify you are claiming that you think Joe Biden was saying all accusations should be considered true regardless of the evidence? Just a yes or no will so.
Yes. Nothing in his statement during the Kavanaugh hearings indicated a caveat for due process. He explicitly said that for a woman to expose herself to national scrutiny, the essence of her accusation must be true, even if she forgets certain facts. There’s no wiggle room in his statement.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
No, they only deal in concern.

Yes. Nothing in his statement during the Kavanaugh hearings indicated a caveat for due process. He explicitly said that for a woman to expose herself to national scrutiny, the essence of her accusation must be true, even if she forgets certain facts. There’s no wiggle room in his statement.

Great. Thanks for clearing up that you’re being ridiculous and are dedicated solely to concern trolling. Imagine saying with a straight face that you genuinely believe that Biden’s position was that even in the face of overwhelming evidence that someone was a liar that whatever they say regarding sex crimes should be assumed 100% true. Why would you think anyone would believe you?

On another Tara Reade note:

Someone earlier said she couldn’t be disbarred because she never took the bar exam. It appears true that she never PASSED the bar exam but her testimony under oath that she never took it appears to be more perjury as her own statements say she took it at least three times.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Great. Thanks for clearing up that you’re being ridiculous and are dedicated solely to concern trolling. Imagine saying with a straight face that you genuinely believe that Biden’s position was that even in the face of overwhelming evidence that someone was a liar that whatever they say regarding sex crimes should be assumed 100% true. Why would you think anyone would believe you?

On another Tara Reade note:

Someone earlier said she couldn’t be disbarred because she never took the bar exam. It appears true that she never PASSED the bar exam but her testimony under oath that she never took it appears to be more perjury as her own statements say she took it at least three times.
Biden only provided that caveat after facing his own accusations. I don’t expect anyone in this particular echo chamber to believe me.

Your article only proves that to protect Biden, we’ve reverted to the former status quo of tearing down the accuser. Congratulations.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Biden only provided that caveat after facing his own accusations. I don’t expect anyone in this particular echo chamber to believe me.

Your article only proves that to protect Biden, we’ve reverted to the former status quo of tearing down the accuser. Congratulations.

So to be clear you are claiming that someone lying about lots of other things in their life has no bearing on whether or not they are lying when accusing someone of a crime?

Just want to be sure I am stating your position correctly.

Reactions: Aegeon

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
So to be clear you are claiming that someone lying about lots of other things in their life has no bearing on whether or not they are lying when accusing someone of a crime?

“For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts, whether or not it’s been made worse or better over time. But nobody fails to understand that this is like jumping into a cauldron.” - Joe Biden

Cauldron indeed

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
“For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts, whether or not it’s been made worse or better over time. But nobody fails to understand that this is like jumping into a cauldron.” - Joe Biden

Cauldron indeed

Thank you for so clearly showing how wrong your characterization of Biden’s position is. He said to start of with a presumption of truth, not to ignore all subsequent information such as, the person being shown to be a lifelong liar.

You really owe Biden an apology.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Speaking of apologies I think a number of media figures owe Biden an apology too for moving forward with a story that was not adequately checked and for which the accuser was clearly shaky at best. This piece encapsulates the failures pretty well.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Cauldron indeed

Hmm... that’s weird because you’ve spent countless pages telling us that Biden should adhere to his own standards but it looks like he’s doing exactly that! So what part of that quote is Biden not adhering to?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

And what of the standards you applied to the Kavanaugh situation at the time?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Speaking of apologies I think a number of media figures owe Biden an apology too for moving forward with a story that was not adequately checked and for which the accuser was clearly shaky at best. This piece encapsulates the failures pretty well.

Why should the media apologize for holding Biden to the standard he advocated?
Hmm... that’s weird because you’ve spent countless pages telling us that Biden should adhere to his own standards but it looks like he’s doing exactly that! So what part of that quote is Biden not adhering to?
Extending the benefit of the doubt to Reade and not hiding behind the female VP slot contenders all maneuvering like its a reality tv show. According to Biden, we should believe the essence of the accusation under the circumstances.

And what of the standards you applied to the Kavanaugh situation at the time?
What of them?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Why should the media apologize for holding Biden to the standard he advocated?
Extending the benefit of the doubt to Reade and not hiding behind the female VP slot contenders all maneuvering like its a reality tv show. According to Biden, we should believe the essence of the accusation under the circumstances.

What of them?

I have no idea what you are talking about and I suspect at this point you are simply trying to save face at best, or continue concern trolling at worst.

This was biden's response:

While the details of these allegations of sexual harassment and sexual assault are complicated, two things are not complicated," Biden said in the statement. "One is that women deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, and when they step forward they should be heard, not silenced. The second is that their stories should be subject to appropriate inquiry and scrutiny. Responsible news organizations should examine and evaluate the full and growing record of inconsistencies in her story, which has changed repeatedly in both small and big ways."

"I'm not going to question her motive," Biden said in the interview with MSNBC's Mika Brzezinski. "I'm not going to do that at all. I don't know why she's saying this. I don't know why after 27 years this gets raised."

In his statement Friday morning, Biden says any record of that complaint would be housed in the National Archives.

"I am requesting that the Secretary of the Senate ask the Archives to identify any record of the complaint she alleges she filed and make available to the press any such document. If there was ever any such complaint, the record will be there," Biden said.

Asked on MSNBC whether Biden would also be willing to ask the Archives to release any complaint about harassment from Reade or any other Senate staffer, Biden indicated he would. "To the best of my knowledge, there have been no complaints against me," Biden said. "There's nothing for me to hide. Nothing at all."

But on Friday, the National Archives said in a statement to NPR, "Any records of Senate personnel complaints from 1993 would have remained under the control of the Senate. Accordingly, inquiries related to these records should be directed to the Senate."

Later on Friday, Biden released a letter to Secretary of the Senate Julie Adams, asking her office to take "whatever steps are necessary to establish the location of the records," adding, "I would ask that the public release include not only a complaint if one exists, but any and all other documents in the records that relate to the allegation."

Hypocrisy not found.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What of them?

So, it's perfectly acceptable for you to exercise a double standard by accusing the other side of having their own? That's hypocrisy with chutzpah.

You've been going on for some while as if the honest truth doesn't matter. You've entertained & attempted to promote every bit of Reade's mendacity throughout, relenting only after it got completely ridiculous. Your objective is to discredit Biden & the Democrats any sleazy way you can. Pretense aside, it serves the purposes of Trump & the GOP entirely.

Nov 8, 2012
Anyone who thinks Kavanaugh's stuff was acceptable/brave/<insert PC term> but Tara Reid's requires due process has a SEVERE mental disorder.

Consistency is kind of key if you're going to argue political viewpoints derpington.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Anyone who thinks Kavanaugh's stuff was acceptable/brave/<insert PC term> but Tara Reid's requires due process has a SEVERE mental disorder.

Consistency is kind of key if you're going to argue political viewpoints derpington.

Was anyone saying that Ford's complaint should not be investigated or that we should believe her even if she changed her story multiple times or was found to have a history of serial fraud?

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001

You do realize that all investigations, no matter the crime starts with the accuser right? They have to first find out if the accusations are true prior to going forward, which would lead to charges etc. It's the first step in any investigation.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
This thread is great. Full of lulz from both sides. I just am gobsmacked Biden is the best Democrats can put forward LOL The Democrats have just as many issues within their own party as the GOP. Different problems to be sure, but just as many.

Independent in 2020

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Yeh, and Starbuck has exhibited a strong lack in that regard. His defense of Kavanaugh was as strident as his attack on Biden. And he justifies it with "Well, if you won't live up to your standards then I don't have to live up to mine."

Reade? I entertained the possibility that she might merely have been delusional when she claimed Joe Biden grabbed her by the pussy in a well traveled hallway in the middle of the afternoon. I'd have to believe he was both stupid & a womanizer to even entertain the notion that it was true. It carried the force of the big lie rather well on the basis of gross impudence alone. I mean, nobody could just make up such a thing, right?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Yeh, and Starbuck has exhibited a strong lack in that regard. His defense of Kavanaugh was as strident as his attack on Biden. And he justifies it with "Well, if you won't live up to your standards then I don't have to live up to mine."

Reade? I entertained the possibility that she might merely have been delusional when she claimed Joe Biden grabbed her by the pussy in a well traveled hallway in the middle of the afternoon. I'd have to believe he was both stupid & a womanizer to even entertain the notion that it was true. It carried the force of the big lie rather well on the basis of gross impudence alone. I mean, nobody could just make up such a thing, right?

Ford did. So yes.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Point of clarification and offering my opinion here. The lies she told which had nothing to do with the allegations are slightly probative here, but only just. The problem is, everyone lies sometimes. Prior lies which are unrelated and go to "general credibility" can be persuasive to juries, too persuasive. Which is why they're not usually admitted into evidence.

The thing about Reade is, there are too many problems directly related to the alleged incident. Telling inconsistent stories over time, praising Biden over sexual assault, claiming she filed a complaint when it can't be found, claiming she has records but not the complaint, later saying it wasn't a complaint but something else, giving multiple versions of why she left Biden's office, a staffer saying he personally witnessed her poor performance which is why she was fired, every known staffer not corroborating a single thing she says, alleging an assault in a place that doesn't exist. Did I miss something? I feel certain I must have.

I suppose we can look at these other things, lying to landlords and lying in court about her credentials, as icing on the cake. But it's a pretty thin layer and the cake is very thick.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Point of clarification and offering my opinion here. The lies she told which had nothing to do with the allegations are slightly probative here, but only just. The problem is, everyone lies sometimes. Prior lies which are unrelated and go to "general credibility" can be persuasive to juries, too persuasive. Which is why they're not usually admitted into evidence.

The thing about Reade is, there are too many problems directly related to the alleged incident. Telling inconsistent stories over time, praising Biden over sexual assault, claiming she filed a complaint when it can't be found, claiming she has records but not the complaint, later saying it wasn't a complaint but something else, giving multiple versions of why she left Biden's office, a staffer saying he personally witnessed her poor performance which is why she was fired, every known staffer not corroborating a single thing she says, alleging an assault in a place that doesn't exist. Did I miss something? I feel certain I must have.

I suppose we can look at these other things, lying to landlords and lying in court about her credentials, as icing on the cake. But it's a pretty thin layer and the cake is very thick.

There's something thick here, and it isn't the cake.