The James Webb Telescope

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
so 5 more months before it can start sending images?
A lot of work setting up and calibrating, but I think the major reason is the need for the craft and components to cool down enough so that the infrared readings make sense and are accurate.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Come to think of it, where does heat go in space? Like, in a non vacuum, the air will conduct heat away, but in a vacuum, how does that happen? I know they have special radiator panels but how do those work exactly?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Come to think of it, where does heat go in space? Like, in a non vacuum, the air will conduct heat away, but in a vacuum, how does that happen? I know they have special radiator panels but how do those work exactly?
heat is radiated in the form of electromagnetic radiation - specifically, infrared light (the same kind of light Webb is trying to collect, and the whole reason the thing needs to be protected so well from the sun's radiation)

Do we know how cold it needs to be to work? Currently the cold side is at -332 & -347F. Hot side is at 55 & 129F.

the MIRI detector needs to be at 7K (-267C) or less. -448.6F for those heathen imperial unit users :p

the other three other detectors "only" need an operating temperature of 37K

edit: handy nasa link! - https://webb.nasa.gov/content/about/innovations/cryocooler.html

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Are they constantly using fuel to keep the Webb in the halo orbit?

Edit: Ya know, I don't think anyone saw this coming 100 years ago. :)

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Are they constantly using fuel to keep the Webb in the halo orbit?

Edit: Ya know, I don't think anyone saw this coming 100 years ago. :)
The magic of Lagrange points: no fuel necessary to maintain orbital dynamics.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Black body radiation primarily, though some does 'radiate' to atomic hydrogen in the soup we call a vacuum.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
The magic of Lagrange points: no fuel necessary to maintain orbital dynamics.
Not true for L1, L2 and L3. Those are unstable and will require a bit of fuel to keep station. They planned on having 10 years of fuel on arrival but they did so well with the insertion burns that they have 20 years of station keeping fuel.
L4 and L5 are stable and have captured some objects.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Not true for L1, L2 and L3. Those are unstable and will require a bit of fuel to keep station. They planned on having 10 years of fuel on arrival but they did so well with the insertion burns that they have 20 years of station keeping fuel.
L4 and L5 are stable and have captured some objects.
I was wondering why NASA didn't choose to use L4 or L5.
Sun–Earth L2 is a good spot for space-based observatories. Because an object around L2 will maintain the same relative position with respect to the Sun and Earth, shielding and calibration are much simpler. It is, however, slightly beyond the reach of Earth's umbra,[24] so solar radiation is not completely blocked at L2. Spacecraft generally orbit around L2, avoiding partial eclipses of the Sun to maintain a constant temperature. From locations near L2, the Sun, Earth and Moon are relatively close together in the sky; this means that a large sunshade with the telescope on the dark-side can allow the telescope to cool passively to around 50 K – this is especially helpful for infrared astronomy and observations of the cosmic microwave background. The James Webb Space Telescope was positioned in a halo orbit about L2 on January 24, 2022.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Cold, it was all about hiding from the sun behind the earth. L4 and L5 are going to be relatively warmer, and also present more complex shading problems.
I'd love to see the day when they travel out to L2 and top off Webb's fuel like it was no thing at all.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Cold, it was all about hiding from the sun behind the earth. L4 and L5 are going to be relatively warmer, and also present more complex shading problems.
I'd love to see the day when they travel out to L2 and top off Webb's fuel like it was no thing at all.
Ah, that makes sense. The sunlight is a big problem. So, they're going to keep it basically in the earth's shadow all the time?

I was wondering a couple hours ago about this. Wondering if they made a provision for this like the thing on your car where you fill up at a gas station. Obviously, not something so primitive, but something that could be used to add fuel if and when they develop a vehicle that could refuel the JWST. Don't know how long it would be operational but they're saying it's the fuel running out that will be the end.

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001
Ah, that makes sense. The sunlight is a big problem. So, they're going to keep it basically in the earth's shadow all the time?

I was wondering a couple hours ago about this. Wondering if they made a provision for this like the thing on your car where you fill up at a gas station. Obviously, not something so primitive, but something that could be used to add fuel if and when they develop a vehicle that could refuel the JWST. Don't know how long it would be operational but they're saying it's the fuel running out that will be the end.
It won't directly be in the shadow since it needs sunlight for power.

Reactions: Muse

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The orbit it's in is really interesting really, I never realized such orbit was possible.

This explains it:

I still don't understand it 100% especially how it's orbiting around L2, which is not an actual object. But my guess is that what is happening is it's influenced by earth but the centrifugal force of also being around the sun pulls it back at that position. So it's almost like it wants to orbit earth but the orbit is pulled further from it. At least that's how I'm interpreting what's going on.

I can see why they will need fuel to keep this orbit stable though as it's probably near impossible to get it dead on.

trungma

Jul 1, 2001
I am so impressed at the engineering. Everything has been flawless so let's hope it continues!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
First image! This is with a special camera used for alignment purposes and not the main camera. So what's to come is going to be even better.

telescope_alignment_evaluation_image_labeled.png

Crazy to think that a lot of those dots are a galaxy.

• Love
Reactions: brianmanahan

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
A lot of work setting up and calibrating, but I think the major reason is the need for the craft and components to cool down enough so that the infrared readings make sense and are accurate.
I'm probably going to answer my own question here but I thought we were long past needing near AZ temps to get good signal/noise response. Of course with the cosmic background only being about 5F above AZ, the signals probably clean up much, much, much more nicely.