The Intel Atom Thread

Page 217 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hemedans

Jan 31, 2015
It isn't the number of cores but the quality of the core; having said that i have no clue if this processor is any good. Hopefully it is faster than my phone cause the older processors kind of sucked.
Early leaks shows its equivalent of current Android flagship, around 4000 geekbench score.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I was looking at those earlier today, also noticed they have Qualcomm Windows on Arm Laptops for $129. I wonder how bad those devices are for that price.

As long as the apps you use are compatible, they're not too bad!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Or 8 cores @ 7W. Compare this product to anything released to date by VIA/Zhaoxin. Ouch.

Curious about ARM's future. My wife swapped out for an ARM Macbook & it's legit amazing, I think there's a lot of future potential there!

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Curious about ARM's future. My wife swapped out for an ARM Macbook & it's legit amazing, I think there's a lot of future potential there!
But the M1 can use nearly 40 watts under load so not quite apple to apple comparison with these processors.
Not sure about the M2.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
But the M1 can use nearly 40 watts under load so not quite apple to apple comparison with these processors.
Not sure about the M2.

Oh no, not comparing it to Atom's, just saying in general, with Apple switch to ARM chips, it was actually a really good move, the performance is great!

I have an M1 in my iPad Pro & it screams! I do CAD, video editing, photo editing, 2D raster graphics, digital sculpting, etc. on it! It's crazy how far tablets have come!!

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
It isn't the number of cores but the quality of the core; having said that i have no clue if this processor is any good. Hopefully it is faster than my phone cause the older processors kind of sucked.
- Meanwhile the performance has been leaked and despite ST wise is not that great, MT wise is interesting.

Per clock performance-
In order /Atom Pine Trail: 1x
Out of order/Atom Bay Trail/Braswell/Z7xxx: 1.5x
Atom Cherry Trail/Z8xxx: ~Roughly same as last gen
3-issue, out of order FP/Apollo Lake/N4200: 1.3x
Wider back end/Gemini Lake/N5000: 1.3x
Dual 3-issue/Jasper Lake/N6005: 1.3x
Enhanced Dual 3-issue, doubled FP/Gracemont: 1.3x

This doesn't take into account clock and platform related advancements. Gracemont is roughly on par with Skylake in Integer. It's not a weak core at all.

Jasper Lake gets 720-730 in GB ST in Windows and 780-790 with Linux, so with clock increase we should see something close to 1200 points. The Linux score is the one you should compare with Android devices since Android uses a Linux base.

Last edited:

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
I was looking at those earlier today, also noticed they have Qualcomm Windows on Arm Laptops for $129. I wonder how bad those devices are for that price.

Link?

Rocking a Lenovo dual core N4020 10" surface clone for RDP on the run - it can't really do anything else - I would kill to have the 4cores 6w in the same form factor.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Rocking a Lenovo dual core N4020 10" surface clone for RDP on the run - it can't really do anything else - I would kill to have the 4cores 6w in the same form factor.

Modern OSes, websites and browsers are so bloated that it takes a computer equivalent to a top tier enthusiast desktop from 10 years ago to run it properly. And the next 10 years the same thing happens.

Also I assume there's a lot of being spoiled for the performance. Because my main driver is a Kabylake-Y Core i5 4.5-7W TDP(it adjusts automatically) and it's fine.

I had the original Tablet Atom with the in-order architecture. Battery life was considered great for an x86 Tablet(7 hours) but slow. The out of order successor made everything acceptable. That's way, way slower than the N4020.

It's a combination of bad settings(like slow eMMC drive), software/OS bloat, and user expectation. Cores don't make any difference in browsing and so-called light duty tasks(since modern ones are not light at all) once you have two of them.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
Link?

$350 today, $119 on the 27th of Nov as a Black Friday week sale (so that will be Sunday) https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-...ows-10-S-Microsoft-365-Personal-1-Y/579024340

$129 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-...nt-4GB-64GB-2MP-Camera-Windows-10-S/219379468

Note these are different types of designs, one is trying to be light+big screen the sleek professional ultrabook type laptop, the other is trying to be a rugged convertible (with touchscreen) that you would want to get for a kid or for a business in the field.

Also the CPUs are not the same, one is a 4+4 of the older design, and one is 2+4 of the newer design. I am no expert of which is better, thus me asking how good these devices run as a question earlier.

Reactions: Denly

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
$350 today, $119 on the 27th of Nov as a Black Friday week sale (so that will be Sunday) https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-...ows-10-S-Microsoft-365-Personal-1-Y/579024340

$129 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-...nt-4GB-64GB-2MP-Camera-Windows-10-S/219379468

Note these are different types of designs, one is trying to be light+big screen the sleek professional ultrabook type laptop, the other is trying to be a rugged convertible (with touchscreen) that you would want to get for a kid or for a business in the field.

Also the CPUs are not the same, one is a 4+4 of the older design, and one is 2+4 of the newer design. I am no expert of which is better, thus me asking how good these devices run as a question earlier.
I would go to SD 850 instead of 7C. is better to have 4 Big cores than 2 Big ones.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Modern OSes, websites and browsers are so bloated that it takes a computer equivalent to a top tier enthusiast desktop from 10 years ago to run it properly. And the next 10 years the same thing happens.
And the reason for that are abstractions. And these abstractions make sense. On one hand it is security that is greatly increased by this software abstractions. You wouldn't want to run a 80s OS on the internet. Another set of abstractions are the applications or better said programming languages themselves. Yes they are less efficient at runtime but need a fraction of the cost to develop. Doing it in C++ is more costly, even more so in C and in assembly just forget it.
I'm sure there are more abstractions and all these combined simply have a gigantic impact in performance.

Reactions: podspi

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Per clock performance-
In order /Atom Pine Trail: 1x
Out of order/Atom Bay Trail/Braswell/Z7xxx: 1.5x
Atom Cherry Trail/Z8xxx: ~Roughly same as last gen
3-issue, out of order FP/Apollo Lake/N4200: 1.3x
Wider back end/Gemini Lake/N5000: 1.3x
Dual 3-issue/Jasper Lake/N6005: 1.3x
Enhanced Dual 3-issue, doubled FP/Gracemont: 1.3x

This doesn't take into account clock and platform related advancements. Gracemont is roughly on par with Skylake in Integer. It's not a weak core at all.

Jasper Lake gets 720-730 in GB ST in Windows and 780-790 with Linux, so with clock increase we should see something close to 1200 points. The Linux score is the one you should compare with Android devices since Android uses a Linux base.
Yup. What I want to see is how the GPU are performing.
Also, those i3 octa small cores, I can see it having a dGPU.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005

The issue this far is that nobody has been able to deliver a competitive ARM chip in the desktop or mobile space except Apple.

Microsoft should also port Windows to RISC-V because I definitely see a scenario where RISC-V overtakes ARM in the future. There are RISC-V chips launching that compete with 2016 ARM designs. That may not sound impressive, but RISC-V really didn’t start to get off the ground until a couple years ago.

That is why I think Intel needs to try harder in the embedded space. It would be neat if they could release a first party SBC with 1-2 clusters of Gracemont cores. The Pi foundation sells their capacity (something like 40,000 units) every month, so it is clear there is strong demand for such a device.

If RISC-V keeps getting faster and faster in that space, it is very likely things will trickle upstream into the desktop and server spaces.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaido

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
Wouldn’t RISC V on Windows need a whole new driver thing again? Furthermore Windows wants to certify SOCs to control the platform but also maintain a basic level of performance.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
i3 N300 (7W, 8C) GB5 benchmark leak

Single 723, multi 1493
so if that is accurate we are talking between
iPhone 7 (a10 on TSMC 16nm released 2016 with a 2+2 design)
iPhone 8 (a11 on TSMC 10nm released 2017 with a 2+4 design)

iPhone 7, Single 718, Multi 1271
iPhone 8, Single 906, Multi 1920
iPhone 14 Pro, Single 1874, Multi 5374

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
so if that is accurate we are talking between
iPhone 7 (a10 on TSMC 16nm released 2016 with a 2+2 design)
iPhone 8 (a11 on TSMC 10nm released 2017 with a 2+4 design)

iPhone 7, Single 718, Multi 1271
iPhone 8, Single 906, Multi 1920
iPhone 14 Pro, Single 1874, Multi 5374
Hum so phone: Single 1874, Multi 5374 or pc with Single 723, multi 1493 ... which would i prefer ?

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
The issue this far is that nobody has been able to deliver a competitive ARM chip in the desktop or mobile space except Apple.

Excuse my ignorance, but the Qualcomm 8CX Gen 3 is extremely competitive against any 9W and below SoC from Intel or AMD - including those Jasper Lake and Lakemont based SoCs discussed right here.

Last edited:

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014

I am not sure, if the Snapdragon 850 is fully compatible with Hyper-V (e.g. for Linux/WSL). On the other hand, with 4GByte memory, trying WSL or WSA (Android) is most likely pointless.
It is crazy, that you are getting LTE with these models.

Last edited:

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
I wouldn't bother with anything earlier than Gemini Lake, and gemini lake needs to be a quad with an SSD. Later chips support later Emmc standards that approach SATA speeds so, if properly specced, they can be good even with emmc. Tremont cores are reasonably useful. I think that AlderLake N though will be where everything about those chips is OK enough for most usages. The iGPU becomes performant enough to handle light gaming, there are enough threads to go around, and a single thread has enough power to keep the GDI responsive in windows.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
I am not sure, if the Snapdragon 850 is fully compatible with Hyper-V (e.g. for Linux/WSL). On the other hand, with 4GByte memory, trying WSL or WSA (Android) is most likely pointless.
It is crazy, that you are getting LTE with these models.
Not just LTE, it is gigabit LTE if the carrier does the right thing with their 4G LTE bands allowing 10 mhz of spectrum for one person, and there is good enough cell phone towers in your area and they are not oversaturated with users.

In other words I doubt it is going to happen in real world scenarios. Not a 5G modem, but one of the better LTE modems that is now several years old.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Seeing the Ryzen 3 5300U, the Atom does not fare well.

The issue? AMD is going with Mendocino which is inferior than even said Ryzen (which is a direct shot on the foot)

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I'm sure there are more abstractions and all these combined simply have a gigantic impact in performance.

Sorry if I don't see it as little more than an excuse.

The REAL focus on security is stop and reverse the rapidly declining moral state of our world so you reduce the amount of people(not just criminals because when everyone normalizes it then what...?) that want to be vengeful.

60% of the people polled anonymously said that if they get fired/laid off they'd reveal deepest company data and break NDAs. All your security is worth nothing. Tech is worthless. Because it's about people. It always has been but we completely lost that mindset.

Meanwhile the password system is so complicated that average joes say "screw it" and just write it down next to their computers.

And how is such abstractions save time/resources in any way? When the websites have went from being few KB in size to dozens of MB and often conveying less information than they did 20 years ago?

That's why some extreme viewpoint sees all this as a ponzi scheme. Because it sounds like you artificially increase the demand of compute by making things needlessly complex.

Yes and no. There is an N305 result on Geekbench but of course you figure that's at higher power draw.

Oh please. N300 is scoring low primarily because it's an early result. You really don't think it's the final result do you?

The N6000 Tremont top score is 2300, and that's a 6W chip. 30% on top of that is 3K.

No way, this must be fake, N6000 Quad jasperlake is more powerfull than this.

Earlier leaks show over 4000 multicore score.

And you would be entirely correct. Some people are just posting with feelings not their brains.

Last edited: