The Intel Atom Thread

Page 170 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 11, 2008
You can also use it for Steam in-home streaming :)

Yea, I know, but the same reservations apply. Might be nice for indie game.

Edit: I know a lot of people disagree with me, but I am just not a fan of streaming in general. I usually game alone, so I just prefer my gaming desktop sitting right where it is. I know some have a good use for streaming, but I just dont. The real place I see for streaming is to be able to stream from the cloud and play graphically demanding games without a powerful computer, but that just does not seem technically feasible. Streaming now is just the opposite: you tie up two computers to play one game. I know some people want to stream from their gaming computer to a living room tv or something, and that is fine, but does not really interest me.

But what I *really* dont get is why one would want to stream to an 8 inch tablet.

Last edited:

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
More budget Cherry Trail devices:

Nextbook 2-in-1 tablets get Cherry Trail upgrades

nextbook-flexx-10a.jpg

Budget tablet maker E Fun is updating its line of 2-in-1 tablets with four new models sporting Intel Atom x5-Z8300 Cherry Trail processors.

The company will show off three new Windows 10 models and one new Android tablet at the Consumer Electronics Show next week, but E Fun is already offering up most of the important details about the new 2-in-1 devices.

The tablets should be available starting in the second quarter of 2016 for $150 and up...

http://liliputing.com/2015/12/nextbook-2-in-1-tablets-get-cherry-trail-upgrades.html

Chuwi Hi12 dual OS tablet with a 1440p screen coming soon

chuwi-hi12_01.jpg

Chuwi is developing a new tablet with a 12 inch, 2160 x 1440 pixel display, an Intel Cherry Trail processor and 4GB of RAM. The Chuwi Hi12 should be available in January.

The tablet is powered by an Intel Atom x5-Z8300 processor, but while the Chuwi Hi12 uses Intel’s cheapest, lowest-power Cherry Trail processor, the rest of the specs look pretty nice.

Chuwi’s tablet dual boots Windows 10 and Android 5.1, features 64GB of built-in storage and a microSD card slot for up to 128GB of removable storage, and an 11,000 mAh battery...

http://liliputing.com/2015/12/chuwi-hi12-dual-os-tablet-with-a-1440p-screen-coming-soon.html

Intel To Give Xiaomi A Huge Concession On The Company’s Mobility Processors

According to a source, after Intel successfully teamed up with Xiaomi in incorporating the company’s Mi Pad 2, which is powered by Intel’s Atom x5-Z8500 chip, the chip manufacturer decided to give a special deal to the rising smartphone manufacturer, most likely as a gesture of good faith and a chance at future partnerships. This has been stated thanks to the following:

“To strengthen its partnership with China-based Xiaomi in the mobile device market, Intel has provided special deals to the China-based vendor. For every notebook processor Xiaomi purchases, Intel is giving away a free tablet processor, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.”

The source has stated that the upcoming notebook, which currently does not feature a product name of any sort, is going to be released during the second quarter of 2016, and will be featuring Intel’s Haswell lineup of processors.

www.digitimes.com/news/a20151231PD201.html

Hopefully 2016 will bring some new exciting Atom products. Curious to see how Apollo Lake performs.

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
Those cherry-trail tablets are 6 month to late. Broxton is coming :D
I wonder if Sweepr will change this thread title to "The Bay Trail/Cherry Trail/Broxton-Goldmont-Willow Trail-whatever-it's-called Thread - Intel Atom Z3770 Tested (AnandTech)". At a certain point I imagine the title will get too long. :D

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Finally, someone has reviewed an N3700 NUC.

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-nuc5pgyh-review-complete-mini-pc-windows-10_176543

cinebench.jpg

Pretty disappointing cpu performance compared to the previous gen Bay-Trail IMHO.
http://www.technikaffe.de/cpu-intel_pentium_j2900-326

Cinebench R15 against their best Bay Trail: Pentium J 2900
Single Thread: 44
Multi Thread: 161
An absolute dissaster I say... from being near to the Core 2 Duo performance on MT, they simply went wrong this time.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
That's why Cherry Trail failed.
And comparing what I found on NotebookCheck

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A4-Micro-6400T-SoC.115410.0.html

Cinebench R15
ST: 34
MT: 95

Yeah... considering that is NOT their best chip... and A10 wasn't tested unless someone with a Fitlet A10 can lend us for a short time...
And their performance in Cinebench R11.5 on their experimental tablet was:

ST: 0.6
MT: 1.5

And the J2900 according to this http://www.techspot.com/review/882-intel-pentium-j2900-asrock-q2900-itx/page3.html was
ST: 0.47
MT: 1.88

And finally comparing to the N3700 according to this http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-intel_pentium_n3700-510 was

ST: 0.47
MT: 1.79

Is a massive stepback from Intel. Node shrinking that only improved GPU, but heavily ruined CPU performance.
AMD Mullins looks competitive on ST now, oh, the irony.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
They just need to stop placing this CT BS on anything larger than a tablet, just go back to use ULV, i was expecting Pentium 4405Y(with the same tray price as N3700) to re-take those markets.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Boy, am I glad that my Lenovo IdeaPad 100s had a Bay Trail rather than a Cherry Trail CPU. Z3735F, yay!

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
I really dont understand why they had to reduce TDP, they could have keep BT TDP/SDP and in doing so, BT clocks.

Rngwn

Dec 17, 2015
I wonder if Sweepr will change this thread title to "The Bay Trail/Cherry Trail/Broxton-Goldmont-Willow Trail-whatever-it's-called Thread - Intel Atom Z3770 Tested (AnandTech)". At a certain point I imagine the title will get too long. :D

Or simply Intel Atom thread?

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
I really dont understand why they had to reduce TDP, they could have keep BT TDP/SDP and in doing so, BT clocks.

I have two cherry trail tablets (chuwi hi10) and they throttle as it is, what they dont need is a higher TDP/SDP, throttling sooner is not what tablets need.

but who gives a shit about Cinebench anyway. Would love to see SPEC 403.GCC for these processors.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
They just need to stop placing this CT BS on anything larger than a tablet, just go back to use ULV, i was expecting Pentium 4405Y(with the same tray price as N3700) to re-take those markets.

Cherry Trail is still probably cheaper though even without the contra-revenue. I think you'd have a hard time finding the 4405Y in a non-Intel branded product.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Cherry Trail is still probably cheaper though even without the contra-revenue. I think you'd have a hard time finding the 4405Y in a non-Intel branded product.
That is the problem and with that they are killing the whole tablet industry, thanks to their sheer stupidity.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Many Atom products announced at CES 2016, here's some of them:

Samsung quietly announces Chromebook 3, promises better battery life

Samsung this week announced the Chromebook 3, quietly unveiling its new laptop after the company's press conference at CES. The 2.5-pound laptop has an 11.6-inch display with 1366 x 768 resolution, and is powered by an Intel Celeron N3050 CPU. Available with either 2GB and 4GB of RAM, the Chromebook 3 promises up to 11 hours of battery life (compared to the listed 8.5 hours on the Chromebook 2), and has a reinforced metal body for "durability against drops and spills."

www.theverge.com/2016/1/6/10722108/samsung-chromebook-3-ces-2016

Braswell-based Samsung Chromebook. Battery life is listed as up to 11 hours, compared to 9 hours for the older Celeron N2840 powered Chromebook 2. Acer is still using Bay Trail though.

Intel introduces Compute Stick with Atom x5 Cherry Trail processor

compute-stick-cherry.jpg

Intel’s new Compute Stick with a Core M Skylake processor isn’t the company’s only new PC on a stick for 2016. The company has also unveiled two new models featuring lower-power (and cheaper) Atom x5-Z8300 Cherry Trail chips. The Intel Compute Stick STK1AW32SC and STK1A32C should be available in the first quarter fo 2016.

Both models feature 2GB of RAM, 32GB of storage. The difference is that thw STKAW32SC comes with Windows 10, while the STK1A32SC ships without an operating system. While the Cherry Trail processor won’t offer much better CPU performance than the Bay Trail chips used in last year’s model, graphics performance should be significantly better, and it’s not just the processor that’s been upgraded.

The new Cherry Trail Compute Stick also features dual-band 802.11ac WiFi, and two USB ports: one USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0. The PC stick has supports Blueooth 4.0 and has a micro SDXC v3.0 port with support for up to 128GB of removable storage, and an HDMI 1.4b connector. It measures about 4.4″ x 1.5″ x 0.5″ which makes it a tiny bit smaller than the Core M model. Intel says a model with an Atom Cherry Trail processor and Windows 10 software will be available in the first quarter of 2016 for $159, which is about $10 more than the initial price for the original Intel Compute Stick with a Bay Trail processor.

http://liliputing.com/2016/01/intel...tick-with-atom-x5-cherry-trail-processor.html

2016 Compute Sticks are powered by Cherry Trail and Skylake-Y. A Broxton powered (codename Falls City 2) model was expected to replace the current Bay Trail lineup this quarter, looks like we'll have to wait a little longer (not sure how old this roadmap is).

Worth mentioning Zotac also announced a Cherry Trail computer-on-a-stick.

ASUS Announces February Launch For The ZenFone Zoom

Unknown_678x452.jpeg

The ZenFone Zoom is very similar to the ZenFone 2 as far as the internal specs go. In the 128GB model there is a bump in clock speed, as the SoC moves from Atom Z3580 to Z3590, but the phone remains the same otherwise. Obviously the big attraction is the rear-facing camera with optical zoom. It's not clear exactly which camera sensor is used in the ZenFone Zoom, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's the same Toshiba sensor from the ZenFone 2. I hope that ASUS has put a lot of work into improving their camera processing from the state it was in on the ZenFone 2, as hardware has never really been the issue with photo quality on ASUS devices...

www.anandtech.com/show/9896/asus-announces-the-zenfone-zoom-launch

Optical zoom. Nokia N93 anyone? :)

Atom Z3590 operates at higher clocks than the 2014 Atom Z3580 powering the ZenFone 2. At up to 640MHz (iGPU) it should match Atom x7's (full Cherry Trail, 16 EUs) graphics performance @ GFXBench.

Zotac introduces ZBOX Pico mini PCs with Atom x5 and x7 Cherry Trail chips

Let’s start with the more powerful ZBOX Pico T4 model. This little computer features an Intel Atom x7-Z8700 processor, which is the most powerful chip in Intel’s Cherry Trail lineup.

The system has 2GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, USB 3.0 Type-C ports, 802.11ac WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, and Gigabit Ethernet. It also has a microSD card slot, headset jack, HDMI port, DisplayPort, and comes with Windows 10 Home software.

T3 model looks a lot like the T4, but it has a less-powerful Atom x5-Z8300 Cherry Trail chip, three USB 2.0 ports, and 10/100 Ethernet. It also has a mini DisplayPort jack rather than full-sized.

http://liliputing.com/2016/01/zotac...s-with-atom-x5-and-x7-cherry-trail-chips.html

One of the few non-Surface Atom x7 design wins.

Or simply Intel Atom thread?

I like that. :)
2016 is going to be at least a bit more exciting than 2015 was regarding Atom. New CPU/Graphics architecture coming to mobile and entry-level PCs.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
I have one Asus Zenfone and despite is a beast, Android is the BIG disadvantage for this machine. It makes me lag like crazy in tons of apps. Compared on the Moto G, games like Hungry Shark Evolution or even the SNES emulator lags like crazy, while the latter has less to no lags.

Worse? I had a Dual Core Mediatek with 1.3 Ghz and 1 Gb RAM and it didn't lag on those games...

Waiting then that Asus Zenfone 2 moves to Windows Mobile for real.

GTMoraes

Jan 6, 2016
But what I *really* dont get is why one would want to stream to an 8 inch tablet.

Well, maybe playing a game meant for a big screen on a small 8 inch display might not be the best idea, but my 8.3 inch ThinkPad 8 has an HDMI out, which I can connect to the TV, connect a PS3 controller through Bluetooth, then use Steam Big Picture.

It's a pretty fine setup for the guests to use, or in very lazy days for me, and my rig stays in the bedroom just fine.
Aside from the eventual lag that happens due to the cheap wireless router, I say that the ThinkPad 8 does the job just fine.

Bit offtopic, but in regards to games, it also can run the TowerFall game natively. It's a great party game, given you can connect it to the TV and manage to grab enough controllers.

--------

I have one Asus Zenfone and despite is a beast, Android is the BIG disadvantage for this machine. It makes me lag like crazy in tons of apps. Compared on the Moto G, games like Hungry Shark Evolution or even the SNES emulator lags like crazy, while the latter has less to no lags.

Worse? I had a Dual Core Mediatek with 1.3 Ghz and 1 Gb RAM and it didn't lag on those games...

Waiting then that Asus Zenfone 2 moves to Windows Mobile for real.

Weird... I'm having no issues on my LG G3's Android. I have friends with the Zenfone 2 (Atom, 4GB RAM) and they just fly. Perhaps you've installed some "antivirus", "battery and ram optimizer" or stuff like that?

Last edited:

fourdegrees11

Mar 9, 2009
I have that 4Gb Zenfone 2 too, the camera isn't that bad. The problem is the games it runs. Some of them lags like crazy.

It's probably the worst night time camera I've used in a phone in the past 3-4 years. It's not competitive with any mid range phone in that regard.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Just when you thought you have seen everything.

Intel launches $399 Cherry Trail smartphone for developers

realsense.jpg

Intel has introduced a smartphone with an Atom x7-Z8700 Cherry Trail processor, a 6 inch, 2560 x 1440 pixel display, 2GB of RAM, and 64GB of storage. And the company’s going to sell it for $399.

There’s one small catch though: the target market is developers, and the phone is really a development kit designed to showcase the company’s RealSense depth-sensing camera.

The phone has a RealSense Camera ZR300 which is designed to scan 3D items including people, objects, and environments. It supports WiFi, Bluetooth, 3G and GPS and the phone runs Google Android Software. Developers can use the Intel RealSense software developer kit or Google Project Tango SDK to create apps that leverage the camera.

In addition to the 3D camera, the phone has an 8MP rear camera and a 2MP front camera. Intel also offers an adjustable tilt dock with HDMI and USB 3.0 ports...

http://liliputing.com/2016/01/intel...eproject-tango-smartphone-for-developers.html

Curious choice, why not Moorefield (Atom Z3590) instead? Let's not forget Broxton replaces both Cherry Trail (tablets) and Moorefield (phones) later this year.