The Intel Atom Thread

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

liahos1

Aug 28, 2013
I'm not sure Nvidia's propaganda is an accurate account of the situation. They've been blaming TSMC for their own problems for several years. Most notably on 40nm.

its not just NVIDIA though, Marvell made similar comments, Altera did too.

Aug 27, 2013
I'm not sure Nvidia's propaganda is an accurate account of the situation. They've been blaming TSMC for their own problems for several years. Most notably on 40nm.

They blamed TSMC mostly for product availability & schedule, not the underlying effectiveness of the process tech. This is different, the leaking/current issues for planar at 20nm are definitely going to be a pain for TSMC to deal with which is probably partly why they have the 20/14 FinFET scheduled so quickly afterwards.

Aug 27, 2013
GPU performance took quite a hit on the LG G2 (vs reference design):

57773.png

Watching the fans of a certain company trying to mock every Intel/NVIDIA offering in the phone/tablet space is pretty funny. I'm not talking about Qualcomm fans. :)

Reference Design was a tablet form factor, obviously a tablet is much more able to deal with the heat high GPU load brings.

Khato

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2001
Reference Design was a tablet form factor, obviously a tablet is much more able to deal with the heat high GPU load brings.

Actually they had both phone and tablet reference designs available at the event. Some websites benchmarked both and received comparable results. In fact Engadget - http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/18/qualcomm-snapdragon-800-mdp-benchmarks/ - got higher scores in some cases on the phone MDP. It's not the first time that actual products fall short of Qualcomm's MDP.

Aug 27, 2013

SiliconWars

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2012
Actually they had both phone and tablet reference designs available at the event. Some websites benchmarked both and received comparable results. In fact Engadget - http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/18/qualcomm-snapdragon-800-mdp-benchmarks/ - got higher scores in some cases on the phone MDP. It's not the first time that actual products fall short of Qualcomm's MDP.

The more of these I see, the better it looks for the S800.

Ok we know that Android benchmarking is pretty broken, but if you look at these there is a fairly decent pattern emerging of S800 at least getting a draw.

In your link we can see that CF-Bench gives the S800 tablet a score of 36,744, while the Z3370 only scores 27,753 here - http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-a...l-first-look-and-performance-testing_123335/3 (no idea about the validity of either, just reporting what I see).

Taken from other sources like Anand's S800 preview and the other Bay Trail previous today, Vellamo, Browsermark and Geekbench are all close enough to be a draw, like within a few percent in comparison.

Khato

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2001
I believe the MDP/T designation was for the tablet results.

Correct - Mobile Development Platform/Tablet. However, as stated, the Engadget coverage included benchmarks of both the Tablet and Phone MDP with minimal differences in performance between them. We'll have to wait for some actual Snapdragon 800 tablets to be released and benchmarked to confirm, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they come up short compared to the MDP as well.

USER8000

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2012
Can't we just all agree we now have a great choice of products from different companies available in tablets,phones and cheap laptops,and the consumer has a great selection of choices to fit their budget??

Or is it that an endless E-PEEN war,has to be continuously fought by the PEEN soldier cores??

Last edited:

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
Out of curiosity, what's your reference for Snapdragon 800 load power consumption? You'd have to have one in order to state that Baytrail is higher power consumption after all.

contextual evidence. state in this thread the atom chip does 1-2.5W on the cpu is in use, and this isn't platform or 3d load power.

as for the s800 the lg g2 is my basis for my s800 numbers. with a 3000mah battery. this is my estimated platform power...

engadget noted ~20 hrs so thats 0.5W SDP[as a phone]
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/09/lg-g2-review/

and 1W SDP [browsing on wifi]
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7251/lg-g2-and-msm8974-snapdragon-800-a-quick-look/3

this isnt quite full load but I think it is a decent indicator...
aside: my math isnt my strongest suite!

Can't we just all agree we now have a great choice of products from different companies available in tablets,phones and cheap laptops,or is it that an endless E-PEEN war,has to be fought by the PEEN soldier cores??
what would be the point of a forum if we all sang the same tune?

Last edited:

Khato

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2001
contextual evidence. state in this thread the atom chip does 1-2.5W on the cpu is in use, and this isn't platform or 3d load power.

as for the s800 the lg g2 is my basis for my s800 numbers. with a 3000mah battery. this is my estimated platform power...

engadget noted ~20 hrs so thats 0.5W SDP[as a phone]
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/09/lg-g2-review/

and 1W SDP [browsing on wifi]
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7251/lg-g2-and-msm8974-snapdragon-800-a-quick-look/3

this isnt quite full load but I think it is a decent indicator...
aside: my math isnt my strongest suite!

Apples to oranges. Baytrail is using 0.8W-1.2W with a full single-threaded load and 2.5W on full multi-threaded workload. Meanwhile the numbers you're quoting from Engadget are dominated by idle time.

It's unfortunate, but I don't know of any smartphone reviews that test battery life while running a loop of an actual stressful benchmark to show just how much power modern SoCs draw in order to provide their benchmark performance. (It's quite likely that such a battery life test would have to be done in a cool/possibly freezing environment in order to avoid throttling.)

Edit: Since you linked the Anandtech review. Notice what's in the #2 spot for 3G/2G web browsing battery life? That's right, the Razr i with its 2Ah battery lasts 6.47 hours. And if you normalize it to the LG G2's 3Ah battery it would actually beat the Snapdragon 800 with ~9.7 hours versus 8.533 hours.

Last edited:

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Dell shows 8-inch Venue tablet sporting Windows 8.1

dell-venue-tablet-small.jpg

CNET said:
Dell brandished an 8-inch tablet running Windows 8.1 at Intel's annual developer conference on Wednesday.

The Venue branded tablet -- a resurrection of a brand name used for its defunct smartphone line -- will pack a Bay Trail quad-core processor, an IPS display (1,280x800), and Windows 8.1, a Dell spokeswoman told CNET.

It will also come with stylus and keyboard options.

More details will be announced on October 2 in New York.

Tablets with screen sizes of 8 inches may be the sweet spot for the first crop of Windows 8.1 tablets packing Intel's Z3000 series of Atom chips, aka Bay Trail.

Last week, Toshiba announced an 8-inch Encore tablet that also runs Windows 8.1 on top of a Z3000 series processor.

And expect similar announcements from the likes of Asus, Acer, and Lenovo.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-5...ing-windows-8.1/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

iPad mini-like tablet with great CPU performance and full Windows 8.1 x86. :)

Last edited:

Khato

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2001
It seems Intel confirmed Merrifield uses Imagination. The variant apparantly wasn't revealed.

Good good, was afraid that I'd missed something! Would certainly be amusing if Intel put a larger GPU on Merrifield than they did on Baytrail.

Mar 10, 2006
It seems Intel confirmed Merrifield uses Imagination. The variant apparantly wasn't revealed.

I see you read InvestorsHub ;-)

But yes, Merrifield will be using Imagination. The explanation that was given to me was, "the right GPU for the right product". I am guessing that Imagination Tech has GPU tech that scales nicely down to power levels that GenX doesn't get to yet.

SiliconWars

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2012
Looks pretty good. You know what would be great? If it was cheap lol. But it won't be. We all know it won't be.

bullzz

Jul 12, 2013
well. the guy in the video mentioned widi when asked abt accessories. interesting