The insane drug war: Girl gets busted for pot, cops turn her, she gets murdered

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
What if she was? Can you explain why people shouldn't be allowed to buy drugs from and sell drugs to other consenting adults?

because in America, our society is governed by the rule of law. If you don't like, you can work within the confines of the law to change it, or you can move to Somalia.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
This thread is filled with disgusting people. What happened to this girl is a an injustice. It is clear that many of you were not raised properly by your parents given your disgusting attitudes towards this story.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Ehhhh, I think a lot should be decriminalized, but I still do support the drug war in theory.

For instance, look at what Opium did to China.

Like, it's pretty immoral to allow say, heroin to be sold at every corner drug store, and overall would be bad for society.

LOL. You do realize that other versions of the same family of drug as heroin are sold at every corner drug store right?

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Note how the authoritarians can't answer any questions logically or rationally when it comes to drugs. Here's an example of how these discussions always go:

Why shouldn't consenting adults be free to buy and sell drugs with other consenting adults?

"But, but, but... because they are illegal!"

Yes, obviously, but why should drugs be illegal?

"But, but, but... because people are more likely to commit crimes while on drugs!"

Interesting. Well, statistically speaking, people are also more likely to commit crimes when they are poor. Even more so when they are poor and black. Maybe we should make being poor and black illegal?

"But, but, but... that's different!"

Why is it different?

"Because being poor and black isn't illegal, while drugs are!"

You realize you have no fucking brains in your head, right?

"But, but, but... the government says drugs are bad, so they are! Plus they are illegal!"

Yes, but can you think of even one good reason drugs should be illegal? Just one.

"Because they are illegal! Yeah, freedom and democracy! America, fuck yeah!"

Drugs are illegal because they are bad, drugs are bad because they are illegal. That's their circular reasoning. It's so ingrained into the mentality of our culture, but the fact is that alcohol is as bad as any drug in respects to the damage it causes, yes, even crack and heroin, but people ignore this fact, and drone on about "Oh the damage to society" ignoring the tens of thousands dead from accidents, the shootings, and violence at clubs, the destruction of families the continent over, it's ridiculous and stupid.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Drugs are illegal because they are bad, drugs are bad because they are illegal. That's their circular reasoning. It's so ingrained into the mentality of our culture, but the fact is that alcohol is as bad as any drug in respects to the damage it causes, yes, even crack and heroin, but people ignore this fact, and drone on about "Oh the damage to society" ignoring the tens of thousands dead from accidents, the shootings, and violence at clubs, the destruction of families the continent over, it's ridiculous and stupid.

I have no objection to eliminating alcohol.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Hello dumbshit, how are you?

Illegal money from selling drugs are used to buy weapons. These weapons are then used to defend the source of illegal money.

So dumbshit, did you learn something?

Yea, I learned that your argument for how crime is going to be reduced is incredibly stupid.

We should legalize drugs so that people can protect their now legal source of money with weapons purchased with legal money. :thumbsdown:

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Very sad story. When dealing with the cops, always get a lawyer. Just because you can graduate from college with a degree in criminology doesn't make give you street smarts. It's more sad because she's not the first and won't be the last person for this to happen to. Some weed and a couple pills is a long way off from a gun and 1500 pills, like she's some kind of hardcore dealer...

This is probably what got her killed, it's a big departure from her history, and they probably got suspicious of the order.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yea, I learned that your argument for how crime is going to be reduced is incredibly stupid.

We should legalize drugs so that people can protect their now legal source of money with weapons purchased with legal money. :thumbsdown:

Oh, I see...that's how it works in capitalism and legal products. I always see budweiser trucks with armed guards onboard.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Agreed. Doesn't anyone remember the Pfizer Merck War? The death toll was staggering.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Very sad story. When dealing with the cops, always get a lawyer. Just because you can graduate from college with a degree in criminology doesn't make give you street smarts. It's more sad because she's not the first and won't be the last person for this to happen to. Some weed and a couple pills is a long way off from a gun and 1500 pills, like she's some kind of hardcore dealer...

This is probably what got her killed, it's a big departure from her history, and they probably got suspicious of the order.

That or because she told several people she was working for the police.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
That or because she told several people she was working for the police.

She may have been that stupid, but from what I know going from even a hundred to over a thousand pills, and throwing in the gun to get the extra felony would make any drug dealer worth their salt uneasy.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005

Yes, it is hard to believe how many people die because of alcohol prohibition now. Oh, wait, well, uhhh, yeah....

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

So if I walk into Walgreens I can just find opiates sitting on the shelves?

That's because you are an authoritarian that wishes to impose your moral views on other people. The kind of person this country doesn't need.

Did you not notice the Wall Street melt down a couple of years ago? What makes you think people don't need a little authority giving them guidelines on how to live their life?

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011

I have history showing legalization of a banned substance worked to reduce crime.

So dumbshit, were you able to deduce that I am talking about what happened during the Prohibition era?

When you admit that you're really a dumbshit, then you can figure out ways to improve your self.

The alternative is that you will stay a dumbshit for the rest of your life.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
Agreed. Doesn't anyone remember the Pfizer Merck War? The death toll was staggering.

Yea man it was crazy. News Article

Pfizer Kingpin Gunned Down In Ongoing Prescription Drug Cartel Turf War

News • crime • drugs • News • ISSUE 49•11 • Mar 15, 2013
700.hq.jpg
The death of El Loco could bring chaos to the Pfizer cartel’s ranks.

NEW YORK—In the latest of an increasingly violent series of murders linked to international prescription drug trafficking, infamous Pfizer cartel leader Philip “El Loco” Cox was gunned down Thursday by rivals from the Bristol-Myers Squibb organization, the FBI has confirmed.
The 63-year-old Pfizer boss, who became the nation’s top pharma kingpin after the 2009 toppling of Wyeth ringleader Richard Russell, was reportedly shot five times in the chest by sales reps from Bristol-Myers Squibb, part of an ongoing turf war to control the lucrative pharmaceutical market.
“The murder of El Loco is a direct result of the escalating struggle over supply routes and territory between Pfizer and the Squibbs,” said FBI spokesman Jeff Lyons, using the nickname given to the rival cartel’s operatives, who allegedly woke Cox up in the middle of the night and killed him in front of his wife and children. “From lipid-lowering agents like Crestor to hard diabetes drugs like Avandia, everybody’s using this stuff, some of them as young as 35 or 40. The market’s worth billions, and it’s a bloody business.”
“Prescription drug traffickers are no longer just sending their reps into clinics to pressure doctors,” Lyons added. “Now they’re kidnapping the ones who don’t prescribe their product, decapitating them, and rolling their heads through hospital hallways.”
300.jpg

Thursday’s killing comes just days after the discovery of human remains belonging to Eli Lilly employees whose bodies had been viciously disfigured, disemboweled, and dumped in a mass grave outside Indianapolis. The corpses were reportedly only identifiable after authorities found a scrap of a polo shirt nearby bearing the cartel’s corporate insignia.
“El Loco” Cox’s murder is believed to have resulted from a long-running dispute over heart-medication distribution cells in the Northeast, where in the past year at least 500 people have been killed as the warring syndicates fight to push Lipitor and Pravachol, their rival products. However, the FBI told reporters that revenge might also have played a role.
“The bureau believes this assassination may have been ordered as an act of retaliation by the Fat Man himself,” said Lyons, referring to the notorious “pharmo” Doug Kirkendall, who is currently head of marketing at Bristol-Myers Squibb. “Last year, his wife was found hanging from a telephone pole and smeared with a prescription-only topical psoriasis cream—the signature threat of the Pfizer cartel.”
According to law enforcement officials, the blow to Pfizer could create an opening for the New Jersey–based Merck and Johnson & Johnson cartels to move in and expand their operations. Both groups have lately recruited more biochemical engineers, drug marketers, and family doctors into their ranks, with Merck burning down several Walgreens pharmacies in October following a pricing dispute.
Many experts have argued that responsibility for the violence ultimately lies with U.S. consumers, whose insatiable demand for designer drugs has made big pharma so incredibly profitable.
“Every time you go to your doctor demanding Concerta or Lunesta or once-daily Singulair, you’re fueling a dangerous $350 billion industry that kills thousands of innocent people each year,” said John Cotts, a Georgetown University sociologist who specializes in prescription-drug-related crime. “They’ve bought off the cops, they’ve bought off the politicians, and their power is growing every day.”
He added, “Just remember that the next time you visit a major pharmaceutical hub—maybe it’s San Diego, maybe it’s Raleigh-Durham—you may find yourself abducted, tortured, and thrown out of a moving car with the word ‘GlaxoSmithKline’ carved into your chest.”
http://www.theonion.com/articles/pfizer-kingpin-gunned-down-in-ongoing-prescription,31678/

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
So if I walk into Walgreens I can just find opiates sitting on the shelves?

Did you not notice the Wall Street melt down a couple of years ago? What makes you think people don't need a little authority giving them guidelines on how to live their life?

Here in Canada you can get Tylenol with codeine over the counter without a prescription. I'm not sure if the same is true in the US.

Some cough syrups have codeine in them too.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
Here in Canada you can get Tylenol with codeine over the counter without a prescription. I'm not sure if the same is true in the US.

Some cough syrups have codeine in them too.

LoL for one moment I thought you were theflyingpig. I was like WTF this guy is back?

Carry on.

nightspydk

Sep 7, 2012
I will pray she gets her voting right back along with the 5 million others. :)

Bless you too.