The "I just bought..." thread.

Page 44 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
They're just okay ... I've personally had much better luck with APC or Tripp-Lite.

Only ONE way to find out on the "does it suck" part unfortunately and that's trial by fire ... or hopefully NOT fire lol! In the meantime the best you can do is yank the plug with your PC under heavy load and see what happens/time how long till emergency shut-down.

Seriously the 3 Cyberpower UPS's I've owned all worked well when new/under warranty but failed much sooner then I felt like they should have.
I had a 1500VA APC UPS fail after 3 years and a few months, wasn't even the battery. The warranty period was over and they wanted me to ship it to them before telling me how much it might be to repair it, so I got the Cyberpower instead as a replacement and it's been going fine for 2 years at this point. I guess 1 more year to find out if it lasts longer than the APC unit.

Reactions: Captante

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
Just bought a Corsair T1 gaming chair with red accents. Wanted something that fully reclined. This garish color scheme was the cheapest. Might have to dye.

corsairT1chair2.jpg

corsairT1chair.jpg

Reactions: Kaido

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I just bought (yesterday evening) a "Dell G5 Gaming Desktop" (i3-10100, 8GB DDR4, 1TB HDD, snazzy case with RGB stripe, presumably Windows 10), from some ebay user named "Vlad(numbers)" with 6 feedback. They were, however, all 100%. :p Wish me luck.

(He only had a single unit for sale, with "Make Offer", so I did, and he responded. Got it for $220 + $22 ship + tax.)

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I just bought (yesterday evening) a "Dell G5 Gaming Desktop" (i3-10100, 8GB DDR4, 1TB HDD, snazzy case with RGB stripe, presumably Windows 10), from some ebay user named "Vlad(numbers)" with 6 feedback. They were, however, all 100%. :p Wish me luck.

(He only had a single unit for sale, with "Make Offer", so I did, and he responded. Got it for $220 + $22 ship + tax.)

Let me guess, it doesn't come with a GPU...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Let me guess, it doesn't come with a GPU...
At $240 you can be pretty happy with the iGPU of the i3.
No GPU pre-installed.

Unfortunately, after reading some YouTube reviews AFTER I already purchased it, I discovered that for whatever reason, Dell DID NOT pass-through the mobo/CPU's video outputs to ports on the back. That's right, there's NO mobo video outputs (!)

Gee, thanks Dell. One might think that those might have been useful, for say, Troubleshooting, or possibly, removing the GPU for re-sale? Sigh.

Anyways, I've got a GTX 650 1GB (EVGA) ear-marked for that rig.

The mobo does appear to have four DIMM slots, and an NVMe slot.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I needed a new graphics card to hold me over for a year and maybe two. My GTX 970 will not die and I am a surgeon when it comes to prolonging it's life. My faith in my ability to keep it going forced me to turn to Dell.

I bought this. I probably paid to much. Look at the price. I got it for $649. I missed an additional $100 saving from AMEX by a few days. The 1660 super 6GB will have to do. It's the only reason I bought this Dell. I will go into my parts bin for 16GB of ram and my computer store in my garage. Where I have AIO coolers NIB on a shelf. I have a 212+ NIB on the shelf. I think it's a 212 Hyper LED which is a fancy name for 212+ cooler master to cool the Intel 6 core 12 thread CPU.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I have the strangest erection right now. ;)

I debated over the last year on getting this since it was way too much $$$ for a statue, but after a year I still liked it as much as I did when they first released it. Hopefully the wife won't notice it (it's about 16" tall, 17" wide, and 12" deep). :p

4.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

7.jpg

Reactions: Captante

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Got a Dyson Pure Cool Link tower TP02 over the weekend. I basically bought a $400 fan. 🤣 Thank God I'm getting reimbursed for this.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Bought a small concrete mixer last week. No more mixing concrete in a wheelbarrow...I hope.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I had a 1500VA APC UPS fail after 3 years and a few months, wasn't even the battery. The warranty period was over and they wanted me to ship it to them before telling me how much it might be to repair it, so I got the Cyberpower instead as a replacement and it's been going fine for 2 years at this point. I guess 1 more year to find out if it lasts longer than the APC unit.

I've had a couple APC's fail on me too, specifically two of the the fancy new-ish 1500va sine-wave models. Never had an issue with a Tripp-Lite but to be fair it's a much smaller sample I'm basing that on.

Bottom line is that any UPS is fully capable of failing and the primary determining factors on how long it will take to do so are as follows: (1) the quality of your electric supply/delivery (2) the power draw of the equipment you have connected (3) how well the UPS in question deals with any generated heat.

Good news is that MOST of the time you'll get plenty of warning prior to total failure provided you stay on top of charge-levels and run self-tests (the "pull-the-plug" kind is the most reliable) on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I needed a new graphics card to hold me over for a year and maybe two. My GTX 970 will not die and I am a surgeon when it comes to prolonging it's life. My faith in my ability to keep it going forced me to turn to Dell.

I bought this. I probably paid to much. Look at the price. I got it for $649. I missed an additional $100 saving from AMEX by a few days. The 1660 super 6GB will have to do. It's the only reason I bought this Dell. I will go into my parts bin for 16GB of ram and my computer store in my garage. Where I have AIO coolers NIB on a shelf. I have a 212+ NIB on the shelf. I think it's a 212 Hyper LED which is a fancy name for 212+ cooler master to cool the Intel 6 core 12 thread CPU.

That machine unfortunately looks very familiar beyond a slightly different looking case. The real problem with most of these "bottom-feeder" Dell systems is all the proprietary parts that completely kill any resale value.

Really this pre-built is pretty terrible ... not quite early 2000's Celeron-powered Compaq desktop terrible mind you (sell and run?!? :p ) but still pretty bad.

Who the heck thought it was good design to extend the motherboard outside of the actual case ???

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
i paid for my colonoscopy. what do i win? :p

Congrats! :D

You get to remain alive! (for the moment) ;)

"5 to 1 baby .... 1 in 5 ..... " - it's really all I can promise.

And on-topic .... I was getting uncomfortable with my Corsair CX750m in relation to the 700+ watt (!!) power-draw spikes I was seeing in my gaming system after upgrading to a 5800x/3080 FE.

I had just picked up a Superflower 850 watt bronze PSU but I decided to use that in my second system (3600/GTX-980) and "retire" the non-80+ 700 watt/12 year old Corsair for the CX750m in the FX-8350/GTX-1650 3rd backup/NAS.

Decided to stop playing around: :D

6414262_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Seasonic Prime TX 1000 watt PSU (Titanium)

EDIT: Best Buy shocked me when this popped up in stock the Orange CT store for $299. (store pickup only) Normally this would be pretty much "full-retail" but normal still doesn't apply ... this was nearly cheap enough to try flipping it!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Fenixgoon

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Two last PC upgrades (for the moment lol) ... 3080 was running a bit hot/loud under load in the smallish Corsair iCUE 220T case I was using.

Decided to transfer my system to this:

-base-5000x-Gallery-5000X-RGB-WHITE-001.png_515Wx515H

Corsair 5000x RGB on sale @ Amazon for $189 shipped (with top-panel from "Airflow" version of the same case courtesy of Corsair just for asking nicely!

:)

Note while Corsair calls this case a MID-tower, I had it sitting on a table next to my massive/ancient Cooler Master CM Stacker full tower for a bit and they're almost exactly the same size. In other words it's quite hefty!

The solid glass front panel does limit airflow slightly but there is a decent size gap around the edges, the three fans in the front and three more Corsair RGB fans blowing in through a vent in the back panel. Also a rear exhaust AND 6 more fans in push/pull on one of these 360mm AIO's on the top. (one layer fans inside case, one in exterior covered chamber hence the need for the Airflow top panel)

Now my 5800x @ 4.68 all-core/4.95g max boost is running 2-3c cooler than the 3600 @ 4.375 all-core was on an H100i 240mm with only two fans.

corsair-h150i-elite-capellix-boite-1-test-hardware-overclocking.jpg

The 3080 is running 5-6c cooler BUT still a bit loud ... it's possible to quiet it down by lowering the power-level in either EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner (among others) but that will also cost performance.

MAY have to look into a VGA AIO! :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Linflas

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
Brand new Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW9400 from Amazon.

It'll be here tomorrow.

Wanted a G-Shock that had better battery life, and more features than my current G-Shock GW-5610.

Looking forward to getting it.