The "I just bought..." thread.

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Direct TPMS doesn't interface with the ABS System at all.

Indirect TPMS has no sensor in the wheel and the low pressure lamp is triggered by the different rotational speed of the low tires pressure. It will be faster than a properly inflated tire.

Direct TPMS uses a sensor mounted in the wheel to measure air pressure in each tire. When air pressure drops 25% below the manufacturer’s recommended level, the sensor transmits that information to your car’s computer system and triggers your dashboard indicator light.

Indirect TPMS works with your car’s Antilock Braking System’s (ABS) wheel speed sensors. If a tire’s pressure is low, it will roll at a different wheel speed than the other tires. This information is detected by your car’s computer system, which triggers the dashboard indicator light.
Yeah, but do they continue operating the ABS and other traction control functions when they detect a low pressure condition? I've heard that the computer can disable ABS and/or traction control with a TPMS condition.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Yeah, but do they continue operating the ABS and other traction control functions when they detect a low pressure condition? I've heard that the computer can disable ABS if and/or traction control with a TPMS condition.

All the modern vehicles that I am familiar with will continue to operate the ABS System with a TPMS Light as long as the pressure is not actually low. As many people I know have been driving around with a TPMS Light on for years and the ABS Systems and Traction Control still work just fine. I work for a major automotive manufacturer supplier...

Now for the facts on all modern Direct TPMS and 4 Channel ABS Systems:

The ABS System uses a speed sensor on each wheel to feed rotation data to the ABS ECU (Computer).

When a tire has a valid TPMS Light due to a low tire pressure that tire will rotate at a different speed as that tire will be a smaller diameter than the other three tires.

The ABS System when it detects that a wheel is rotating at a different speed than the other three that Will Trigger an ABS and TRAC warning Light and ABS and Traction control will be disabled. Worst case you will have regular brakes. The ABS and Traction faults are triggered by the speed sensor Not the TPMS.

A failed TPMS Sensor will not trigger an ABS and TRAC warning light as long as the tire is not low on pressure. You could remove the TPMS Sensors and throw them in the garbage and it would not effect the ABS or Traction Control on a Direct System.

I hope this clears things up.

Reactions: lxskllr

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Decided to go old school with my replacement alarm clock. The mechanism inside is still electronic but the hand movement and alarm are just like the originals. You do have to turn the alarm off from the back which might require a certain level of coherence to do.

Attachments

• alarm clock.jpg
    alarm clock.jpg
    815.1 KB · Views: 12

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Decided to go old school with my replacement alarm clock. The mechanism inside is still electronic but the hand movement and alarm are just like the originals. You do have to turn the alarm off from the back which might require a certain level of coherence to do.

why not just use your smartphone?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Just bought a big bag of Citric Acid. Time to level-up my homemade gummy bear game!

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Mostly stuff for the home theater that I'm currently re-wiring and adding Atmos to. Have everything run as of today, but I need to patch up the drywall over the weekend. I ran Smurf Tube that I had purchased about a year ago. Finally was time to upgrade to Atmos
  • 500' of 12ga Belden 5000UE speaker cable from BlueJeanCable
  • (4) RSL C34E Atmos speakers
  • Ruipro 50' 8K HDMI Hybrid Fiber Optic Cable (from rack to 4K Projector)
  • Cat7 50' to Projector area
  • Crown CT475 Drivecore 1U amp (to power Atmos speakers)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Finally upgraded from my ancient FX-8350 system which was finally starting to show its age in newer games. (despite all the knocks these chips took it doesn't owe me a thing!)

Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro-Wifi motherboard
Ryzen 3600 @ 3.9 ghz all-core
Re-used EVGA GTX-980 4gb GPU
Corsair Vengeance 32gb kit DDR4-3000
WD Black 500gb NVME SSD (OS)
Sandisk Ultra 1tb SATA SSD (storage/apps)
Corsair Icue 220 RGB case w/3 120mm RGB fans
Corsair CX-750m semi-modular PSU
Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum 240mm AIO cooler

Not including the GTX-980 from previous build ended at approx $700.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zanovar

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
why not just use your smartphone?
I never learned how since I have an old but very reliable Timex alarm clock in the bedroom. The other reason is that there's no way a phone alarm is going to wake me up. You should hear the racket this thing makes when the hammer oscillating between the 2 bells. It will wake the dead. :)
Not that I'm judging or anything, but how many rolling papers does someone need :) ;). I've never heard of Rock Exotica though. I mainly vape since I hate dealing with the roaches. But I'm always curious about newthings.
Just bought a big bag of Citric Acid. Time to level-up my homemade gummy bear game!
go with malic acid. Much more of a bite.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Not that I'm judging or anything, but how many rolling papers does someone need :) ;). I've never heard of Rock Exotica though. I mainly vape since I hate dealing with the roaches. But I'm always curious about newthings.
RoFL! Rock Exotica makes climbing gear. Those are the tags for the carabiners. They have the safety info and instructions inside, so they're fairly stout packages.

For papers, I always liked Club, but I don't think they make them anymore. They were gumless, and thin enough to read through.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
RoFL! Rock Exotica makes climbing gear. Those are the tags for the carabiners. They have the safety info and instructions inside, so they're fairly stout packages.

For papers, I always liked Club, but I don't think they make them anymore. They were gumless, and thin enough to read through.

My preference was the thinnest papers I could put my hands on which usually meant Zig-Zag. Unfortunately the thinnest papers are also the most fragile and difficult to roll.

Interesting story I rented a place in North Stamford Ct many years ago that was truly awesome. Surrounded by woods with no other house in sight and a large custom in-ground heated pool with huge deck. The "interesting" part (and tie-in to this post) is that the landlord was the creator of the "Zig-Zag" man ... in fact it was a self-portrait! (LOL)

8d4ec2ee-6c22-4855-bb20-14aab6e0a5f8_1.064866d56ad30dd22fb702b6a5d0492b.jpeg

My room-mate and I shared the downstairs of the house while he lived in the two upper floors. We referred to him as "the warden".

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
My preference was the thinnest papers I could put my hands on which usually meant Zig-Zag. Unfortunately the thinnest papers are also the most fragile and difficult to roll.

Interesting story I rented a place in North Stamford Ct many years ago that was truly awesome. Surrounded by woods with no other house in sight and a large custom in-ground heated pool with huge deck. The "interesting" part (and tie-in to this post) is that the landlord was the creator of the "Zig-Zag" man ... in fact it was a self-portrait! (LOL)

8d4ec2ee-6c22-4855-bb20-14aab6e0a5f8_1.064866d56ad30dd22fb702b6a5d0492b.jpeg

My room-mate and I shared the downstairs of the house while he lived in the two upper floors. We referred to him as "the warden".
Probably should fact check before using that story you were told.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Roy Rodgers.
And its terrible.
The beans are gross, the potatoes are nasty, the chicken is unholy.
And they fucked up the dessert.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Unmanaged PoE Switch
2x 4TB HDDs
4x 4k PoE Amcrest Turret Cameras

Going to be a fun weekend in the attic in ~100F heat.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
ca70e83ed048a15824dc554669378fc2.jpg

I just got charged US sales tax for Japanese items I purchased from a Japanese seller in Japan.

WTF?!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I just got charged US sales tax for Japanese items I purchased from a Japanese seller in Japan.
There is no such thing as "US sales tax". There is no federal sales tax.

What you mean is, "I got charged sales tax for my STATE".

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
There is no such thing as "US sales tax". There is no federal sales tax.

What you mean is, "I got charged sales tax for my STATE".
I wasn't distinguishing State from Federal. I was distinguishing taxes from any US state and taxes from Japanese sales. From that perspective, state and local sales taxes are a US sales tax.

...also, I don't know what state or locality they charged me tax for, and different places around me in the same state have different sales tax rates due to county and city taxes (ranges from 5% to 7%).

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Probably should fact check before using that story you were told.

No need although I should have added "the US trademark version" for accuracy. He was the directer of the art dept of a big Tobacco company based in Greenwich at the time. He also had the original artwork he did. Sorry not giving you his name even though he was kind of a jerk.

And take a look on Google maps ... Old Wagon Rd in North Stamford at the very end.

Last edited:

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000

WTF?!

At least ebay is a US company. I get charged it by AliExpress. Chinese seller, chinese market. Of course they are just pocketing the money, but maddening.