The "I just bought..." thread.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
A dozen eggs. I was going to a job past my favorite farm egg supplier, so I stopped in to see if he was cleaned out. There was a fridge full of eggs. Nobody in my way. I put my $2.50 in the box, took my eggs and left. It was glorious! For you 'I don't carry cashers', there's no credit card slot ;^)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Some cans of soup, a canned ham, and some sausage sticks. Boss wanted to stop in the DollarGeneral for doughnuts, so I figured I'd pop in, and maybe get some spam(I love spam). Yet again, cleared shelves. I got the soup since I was there, and maybe I can pretend the canned ham is spam. Forgot to look for raisins again, but they probably don't have the big bulk packs anyway.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Been a while since I bought anything for myself so I just ordered two 28" 4k monitors. Odd timing, but yeah.

I shouldn't be spending money when I'm trying to pay down a 12k credit line... but I do have a 1,200ish tax return coming so figured I'll be at the same spot financially anyway. Been wanting to upgrade to 4k for a while anyway.

Why two? Well there's a chance we may work from home, but they are kinda screwing us around and they still want 24/7 coverage inside the office, which will mean what will end up happening depending on scheduling is all of us at some point having to drag our stuff back and forth, or hooking up to a shared workstation as our monitors will be at home. We have 3x 4k monitors for our job so to work at home we would bring at least 2 but if we have to also go in the office at some point either need to bring them back or use a shared workstation that's already setup. Huge pain in the ass.

So I said screw that noise, gonna keep my work setup the way it is and have two 4k monitors at home and just compromise with one less, I can make it work. Once Covid19 is over I will rearrange those so I have one on top and one on bottom, and bottom will be primary.

Only thing, I do hear IPS is not that good for gaming (but pretty much good for everything else which is why I went that route), which I do a bit, so I will have to see how that goes. Also curious how well my gaming machine will even handle 4k gaming, maybe it won't even be able to handle it. My KVM also supports it... well I hope.

So yeah, kinda excited to get those in now. :D Honestly I'm also excited at the idea of working from home... that will be kind of cool. They are dragging their feet and it might not even happen though, as all this might be over by the time it's a go.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
4k is equivalent to 4 regular monitors while using only one port. So essentially this is going to be like having 8 monitors!

At work we have 3 but if I squeeze all my windows more I can probably make it work with 2.

I originally wanted 32" but the longer I use my 27" ones at work the more I realize I don't really need 32. 28 will be a bit bigger and at home when using them for my own personal use such as coding I'll be sitting closer so it's all good. At work I tend to sit back on my chair more since I'm not using the keyboard and mouse much.

Current work setup:

Top monitor and two side ones are 4k then bottom one is 1k.

Older pic but not much has changed, this is my home setup:

For work at home I'll replace the two side monitors with the 4ks, but once I'm done working at home, I will stack the 4ks in the middle one on top of each other and the bottom one will be primary. The 1ks will be repurposed, such as for when I setup a security camera system. Currently the two side ones are controlled by a Raspberry Pi so it's technically a single monitor setup but my mouse/keyboard works across with synergy. Reason I did that is with a normal triple monitor setup, lot of apps like to open on the 1st monitor instead of the primary and it's super annoying. Hopefully with the stacked configuration I won't run into that issue and stuff will stick to the primary.

Kinda looking forward to this upgrade actually... I may not even end up working from home lol, but at least I'll be well setup for it if I do, and if not well it will get lot of use for my own personal stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaido

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
4k is equivalent to 4 regular monitors while using only one port. So essentially this is going to be like having 8 monitors!

At work we have 3 but if I squeeze all my windows more I can probably make it work with 2.

I originally wanted 32" but the longer I use my 27" ones at work the more I realize I don't really need 32. 28 will be a bit bigger and at home when using them for my own personal use such as coding I'll be sitting closer so it's all good. At work I tend to sit back on my chair more since I'm not using the keyboard and mouse much.

Current work setup:

For work at home I'll replace the two side monitors with the 4ks, but once I'm done working at home, I will stack the 4ks in the middle one on top of each other and the bottom one will be primary. The 1ks will be repurposed, such as for when I setup a security camera system. Currently the two side ones are controlled by a Raspberry Pi so it's technically a single monitor setup but my mouse/keyboard works across with synergy. Reason I did that is with a normal triple monitor setup, lot of apps like to open on the 1st monitor instead of the primary and it's super annoying. Hopefully with the stacked configuration I won't run into that issue and stuff will stick to the primary.

Kinda looking forward to this upgrade actually... I may not even end up working from home lol, but at least I'll be well setup for it if I do, and if not well it will get lot of use for my own personal stuff.
Damn, Nik.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Current work setup:

It is still 2 28". You can only see so much.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It is still 2 28". You can only see so much.

Size does not really matter, it's resolution, ex: pixel count. Gives you more real estate. So for stuff like coding, video editing etc I'll see more code, or more time line, and so on. For my work it means room for all my alarm view apps.

I was actually looking at Roku TVs that are like $300 and just put them further from me on the wall, but I felt there might be a catch, at that price. Probably fail in like a year from now.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Size does not really matter, it's resolution, ex: pixel count. Gives you more real estate. So for stuff like coding, video editing etc I'll see more code, or more time line, and so on. For my work it means room for all my alarm view apps.

I was actually looking at Roku TVs that are like $300 and just put them further from me on the wall, but I felt there might be a catch, at that price. Probably fail in like a year from now.

Yeah no. There has to be a minimum size for you to read it.

Reactions: myocardia

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Yep, I have a 4K 15.6" display. Some games look ever so slightly better at 4k, at the cost of lower frame rate and more fan noise. For regular computing, it has to be scaled to 1080 to be useful.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

It's not like a TV where you are sitting far from it though, you're close. At work it's fine on the 27" ones.

Only thing is when I am forced to upgrade to windows 10 on the windows machine, I don't know how that is going to look. I find text in windows 8/10 is fuzzy and harder to read, like in dialogs and such. They use some kind of different GUI rendering engine in those versions or something and I find it sucks for text as it's not as crisp or clear. Linux will be fine though, hopefully. I just hope my setup will actually be able to handle it. Like the GPUs, the KVM etc. KVM is rated for 4k though so should be fine...

Very worse case scenario I will end up keeping the 1k monitor as primary and then the 4k ones as secondary, but ideally I want to use as primary as it will be really good for primary work flow like coding, video editing etc...

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

That's not what she said! :p

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Cat food, and bar oil for my saws. It's warming up, and about time to switch over to thicker petrol from the winter(LoL this year) canola.