The "I just bought..." thread.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I must disagree. For $11 bucks, it's worth trying, IMO.
Bad balanced is worse than good single end. And in a home setting, xlr is overkill unless you actually setup a studio like Trigve of "Yes this is my desk Nick" fame.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perknose

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I re-wired my high-end headphones to have a balanced input, since my headphone amp has a balanced output.
DVjZjkk.gif

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Thrustmaster wheel. Turns out racing games/sims are awesome if you play them with the proper controller.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Thrustmaster wheel. Turns out racing games/sims are awesome if you play them with the proper controller.

So very tempting. I had a cheapo one (https://www.amazon.com/Genius-TwinWheel-F1-Vibration-Wheel/dp/B000ODVKUC) and the only game it worked on was NFS Most Wanted on my PC. Kids also loved it and reminded me of it just the other day which says something.

I want something for Forza Horizon 4. $150 is steep for 1 game though. Is it guaranteed to be future-proof?

Last edited:

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
So very tempting. I had a cheapo one (https://www.amazon.com/Genius-TwinWheel-F1-Vibration-Wheel/dp/B000ODVKUC) and the only game it worked on was NFS Most Wanted on my PC. Kids also loved it and reminded me of it just the other day which says something.

I want something for Forza Horizon 4. $150 is steep for 1 game though. Is it guaranteed to be future-proof?

Nothing is, but thrustmaster and Logitech are the standards so highly doubtful they won’t be supported for a long time. I bought the $300 one for basically two games at the moment, but it's especially valuable to me to practice tracks before visiting in real life. I did a few hours of Watkins Glen in a GT3 in iracing at my mechanic's shop the other day (where they have a legitimate setup for some reason with an old beat stock BMW seat and custom wheel / shifter / pedal / TV mount). I can play it back in my head now with at least some half-decent idea of the lines, corner speeds, brake points etc. Pros use it for practice in setups that probably cost as much as my car, not just hacks like me :)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Had a wheel/pedal setup for my Dreamcast, good times with that. Actually still have them, need to clean them up and see if they still work.

Crap, except I already boxed up the Dreamcast :|

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Been on a toothpaste kick since I read that article :^D

I needed a new tape. The Dewalt I'm using is garbage. I like Lufkin, but I thought I'd try the Komelon since it was cheap. The last one I had was trash also, but it was 33', and a different case style. I'm hoping this one works better, but I'm not really impressed with the way it looks so far. You used to be able to buy Lufkin engineer scale tapes in local stores, but they've all but disappeared. That's how I ended up with Dewalt. It was the only one available. I normally wouldn't have touched something like that. Dewalt makes electric tools, and they know fuck all about anything else. They just slap their name on some Chinese junk, and try to capitalize on brand recognition. A lot of brands do that, and it gets on my nerves.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I bought the kid a new car battery...ouch.
Plus side is batteries seem to last forever anymore. I got my truck used in 2016, and the battery's still going strong. I'd be fairly pleased if that were a new battery. Used is remarkable compared to the bad old days.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Plus side is batteries seem to last forever anymore. I got my truck used in 2016, and the battery's still going strong. I'd be fairly pleased if that were a new battery. Used is remarkable compared to the bad old days.

I remember belted tires priced by "ply" and good for maybe 10k miles.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Long story but he was 2hrs away and clueless. Can't be the 2002 original but I'll find out how old Saturday when I work on it.
I remember belted tires priced by "ply" and good for maybe 10k miles.
OMG, you old. ;)

Reactions: lxskllr

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
And I just bought 5 new led lights for the office to replace the 4' florescents. Power company came by with a contractor, $800 job and I paid $200. Will save $270 over the next year...supposedly. Very cool though. The led panel is about the thickness of a regular ceiling tile. 5 year warranty on the lights.

Sounds like the energy company is trying to reduce demand so they don't have to increase infrastructure. Works for me.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That was an interesting article. Bias ply was a bit before my driving time, but there was still a lot of literature comparing/contrasting the styles when I started driving, though everyone was using radials at that point.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
And I just bought 5 new led lights for the office to replace the 4' florescents. Power company came by with a contractor, $800 job and I paid $200. Will save $270 over the next year...supposedly. Very cool though. The led panel is about the thickness of a regular ceiling tile. 5 year warranty on the lights.

Sounds like the energy company is trying to reduce demand so they don't have to increase infrastructure. Works for me.
They do that around here, and least in some ways. They have leds at the dollar store for $1 of course, and goodwill gets them also, as well as discounts at homedepot and such. You know damned well they cost more than $1 to make and sell. They're being subsidized by the energy company. Works for me too.