The "I just bought..." thread.

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Ordered an Atari 2600 Harmony Encore cart, and I picked all this up from some guy on Craigslist. The Atari above the bag/cover is in perfect condition, so I'll probably mod that one for different video and audio outputs. Now I gotta start cleaning everything...

View attachment 35588

View attachment 35589
Nice! I've probably had 20+ Atari VCS, 2600, and 2600jr consoles since getting rid of my childhood unit and only one was a six-switch. It looks like that guy collected exclusively 6-switchers. Are any or them the heavy-sixer from the '70s? I see one is a 6-switch Telegames unit but I believe there are heavy and light variants of that too.

Glad to see Pitfall II Lost Caverns in the mix. :)

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Nice! I've probably had 20+ Atari VCS, 2600, and 2600jr consoles since getting rid of my childhood unit and only one was a six-switch. It looks like that guy collected exclusively 6-switchers. Are any or them the heavy-sixer from the '70s? I see one is a 6-switch Telegames unit but I believe there are heavy and light variants of that too.

Glad to see Pitfall II Lost Caverns in the mix. :)

Nope, they're all the light versions. I only opened up the nicest-looking one, and it seems to have the heavy's PCB, but I'll need to look at it a bit further.

I'll probably end up figuring out which controllers are broken and keep those for spare parts, then just keep maybe two of each controller (and one backup), and sell the rest. Not sure if I'll try to sell one console or just keep all three.

Reactions: CZroe

ReggieDunlap

Aug 25, 2009
I'm expecting it will arrive before Christmas, but I'll have to wait as it's meant to be my present from Santa to keep the kids belief in place. I hope to eventually be able to play it as well as it looks.

Reactions: highland145

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Some HO scale model train stuff to get my grandfather's trains up and running. I bought an engine that used to be my favorite as a kid, Lionel 6025. I think the one I have has a busted gear. I also ordered a new DC transformer since the one that was part of his kit didn't seem in the best of shape. I'd like to remove as many variables as possible in order to get stuff working again with each engine.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Some HO scale model train stuff to get my grandfather's trains up and running. I bought an engine that used to be my favorite as a kid, Lionel 6025. I think the one I have has a busted gear. I also ordered a new DC transformer since the one that was part of his kit didn't seem in the best of shape. I'd like to remove as many variables as possible in order to get stuff working again with each engine.

No Thomas? :awe:

Reactions: RearAdmiral

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Been a few weeks, about to hit 1k miles this week after a weekend getaway. But got my wife a new Land Rover Defender. Accessories are impossible to get, but trying to get a rear tire cover, side rails, and fender guards. We've since gotten the front windows tinted to match.

20201120_165206.jpg

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Oh SNAP! Time to remaster the whole show. ;)

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Nope, they're all the light versions. I only opened up the nicest-looking one, and it seems to have the heavy's PCB, but I'll need to look at it a bit further.

I'll probably end up figuring out which controllers are broken and keep those for spare parts, then just keep maybe two of each controller (and one backup), and sell the rest. Not sure if I'll try to sell one console or just keep all three.
Still cool, since none of the 6-switchers are common. :)

I still don't have Pitfall II Lost Caverns for 2600 but I do have the fabled Atari 8-bit home computer version...
7ea320f7d87089b3d20b172b3909bf28.jpg

04db03281382d9900348a6cc3e7bef4c.jpg

The box is actually exactly the same as the Atari 2600 version. They had an insert that could hold several different cartridge shapes and I believe a sticker on the box would say what platform it was for.

It's "fabled" by some for arguably having the greatest Easter Egg of all time according to Perifractic's recent video from a month ago:

His channel seems to have been particularly relevant recently since his two videos before that one were both about fixing and restoring a Sears Telegames Heavy Sixer:
https://youtu.be/MPsD2NOjmHE

Dude's really into Atari and retro computers. :) Speaking of which, I was kinda forced to buy my old Atari 800XL home computer with that copy of Pitfall II since it broke while I was testing it several years ago. Was really just trying to see if my Atari 800 non-XL was working and was switching the cartridge back to the XL when one of the pins bent. Months later I got a desoldering station I removed the connector, ejected and straightened the pin, then swapped the pin's position with a vestigial pin, so now it's good as new. :)

I don't have a Harmony Encore or any other flash cart for my 2600 or 7800 consoles yet but I do have the Atari Ultimate Cart for my 800 and 800XL. I still hope to add an Atari XE GS to the line some day so it'll be more in line with the rest of my consoles and flash carts. Even without it, the XL is like the Atari 5200 SuperSystem on steroids! Nearly identical hardware but with a library of arcade games that even beats the 2600:
https://youtu.be/JwPuuqTxV-I
...and no notoriously faulty CX-52 controllers. ;) Just the standard Atari CX-40 joysticks from the 2600.

The Space Harrier homebrew port is pretty amazing too:
https://youtu.be/MLTNyP62NVc

That's literally home computer hardware from 1978 with background music and pseudo-scaling graphics like that along with digitized speech! The original 400/800 really only needs a memory upgrade to play it, which was officially available later on. They used NTSC artifact colors to get extra colors on the screen so it looks even better in person on a CRT monitor.

• Wow
Reactions: Kaido

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004

I should have known Thomas would exist. Received my transformer and it works a lot better than the old one, none of my existing engines really work though so looking forward to getting those 2 in the mail today!

Nov 20, 2009
The toilet seat got the two-thumbs up from the wife so I ordered four more. Yes, there are five toilets in my home.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The eBay haul so far this month...
71246dc31c50703865c175b6b4341229.jpg

The NEC TurboGrafx CD-ROM drive probably just needs a gear since the seller mentions that the laser doesn't home and is stuck in the outermost position. I already have several extra gears as well as a Turbo-CD dock to pair with this. It is strange that the seller was able to get a shot of the laser lighting up when that should not happen until after the homing limit switch trips. Still, I consider that a good sign. I also have junk Japanese CD-ROM² drives to get a replacement limit switch if I need to. Paid about $5 more than the last one I fixed.

A couple NES-101 "Top-loader" Nintendo Entertainment Systems for installing Hi-Def NES. I actually installed one into an NES-101 we picked up Sunday but the graphics are all corrupted. Checked every connection and still have no idea what is wrong. My brother confirmed it was something with the motherboard and not the mod kit by borrowing the Hi-Def NES + interposers, CPU, and PPU from a modded AV Famicom I also did. Installing these will help with troubleshooting that one.

A NEC PC Engine Duo for a friend who couldn't get the seller to ship to Canada. It works out since I've also got everything we need to make it whole:
3D printers to restore the missing door
Extra cap kit for TurboDuo/PCE Duo
Extra controllers I can fix up
Extra 6.3x3.0mm adapter tips that fit Duo for a custom PSU
Spare DIN connectors for a custom stereo AV cable OR mono AV cables that also work (have brand new extras for Genesis 1)

Of course after winning the cheapest PC Engine Duo on eBay, someone listed another one for a couple bucks cheaper, Buy It Now, WITH the door the next day after we won that auction listing. Oh well. That's just how it goes sometimes.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
So many toy released have been delayed this year, and this one was supposed to arrive in early 2020. I really wanted it when it was announced in 2019, but I kind of forgot about it until it popped up as a suggestion on Amazon based on my shopping history. It shows they are supposed to get it on Dec 23rd, so I figured why not. Hopefully they meant December 2020 and not December 2021. :p

22.jpg

Reactions: Kaido

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Serious Question:

Do any of you momos actually play on old consoles these days?
Or do you just collect them for the nostalgia?

No judgement. I'm simply curious.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Right on that, Chief. Thanks.
I finally broke down and bought one a few months ago when my son's battery died. I didn't need anything super fancy, just something I could test the batteries with 1-2 times a year. I bought the Schumacher bt-100 tester on Amazon for $35, but I just checked and the product page has disappeared altogether (and that has me concerned now, even though it was sold and shipped by Amazon).