The "I just bought..." thread.

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Just bought 1/3 carat earrings for my wife's birthday on Friday. They aren't huge, but she recently just started wearing earrings again so I wanted to get her something nice to have. Ordered them through Costco. Not a usual jewelry store, but I figured easy return in case she doesn't like them.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
20201117_113328.jpg

I bought some pork belly a while back from a local processor. I had been buying from Costco which comes skinless, but this was skin-on. Now I'm drying the skin in the oven at 250* then I'll make some chicharrones.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Err, just fry them?
I've not made pork rinds before and the recipes I've researched come to a consensus that drying is better before frying. We'll see. If it fails it's no big loss as I'm not a real fan of them anyway, more just making them to try it.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
20201117_145128.jpg

They're OK, not great. Not as light crispy as I was expecting, more of a hard shell crispy. Perhaps I didn't dry them enough.

Overall, not terribly impressed. Will likely not buy again. Maybe the bacon this sat on top of will be better. I'll know next week when the cure is done.

• Wow
Reactions: SKORPI0

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
View attachment 34041

They're OK, not great. Not as light crispy as I was expecting, more of a hard shell crispy. Perhaps I didn't dry them enough.

Overall, not terribly impressed. Will likely not buy again. Maybe the bacon this sat on top of will be better. I'll know next week when the cure is done.

They are not good because you dried them xd

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
20201123_164411.jpg

Approximately 12 pounds of hand-sliced bacon upon which those chicharrones were sitting about a week ago.

Reactions: pcgeek11

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The kid has been beside himself waiting for his new I12. Swapped it out with my 2007 flip and taped it back up.

😀😀
My wife wants to replace her SE with a 12. Go the the store and try them out, guy talks them up, wife selects model… "oh, we don't have any in stock." WTF dude?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Yea, I did, but I needed a few odds and ends. The rope was just for fun. It's a bag of rope ends, and you have no idea what you're gonna get. My last one kinda sucked. Had a bunch of polypro, which is only marginally useful to me. This one has one length that's climbable(~66' by pacing), and the rest(30'± each) I can make into lanyards and stuff. It's like gambling, except you always get /something/. Like the old woot bags of crap.

What I'm doing is setting up two climb systems. I have my main one that stays at the house, and a cut down system to keep in the truck in case something comes up. Last order I got a fall arrest harness I can also climb in. My old work fall arrest sucked, and it couldn't really be used for climbing. I need carabiners. pulleys, and hitch cord for both setups.

Reactions: highland145

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
New custom pair of Soft Star Primal Runamoc shoes.

3-tone custom color scheme: Fuchsia for the front, Bright orange(they call it Clementine) for the back, and bright Kiwi green for the side stripes.

This is going to be so fun,in about a month..when I walk into work for the first time with my new shoes.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
The only Black Friday shopping I did was to upgrade my NES and SNES flash carts. I've had the NES and SNES PowerPaks since they came out, but I decided to get with the times and buy the Everdrive N8 PRO and FXPAK PRO (formerly the SD2SNES). krikzz is having a 20% discount on his store, so I got both (with shipping) for ~$300. I'm going to sell my PowerPaks on eBay; hopefully I can get $200 for both, but we'll see.

I'm covered with the Genesis and N64 (Mega Everdrive v2 and 64Drive). At some point I'll look into ODEs for the Dreamcast, Saturn, and PS1.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The only Black Friday shopping I did was to upgrade my NES and SNES flash carts. I've had the NES and SNES PowerPaks since they came out, but I decided to get with the times and buy the Everdrive N8 PRO and FXPAK PRO (formerly the SD2SNES). krikzz is having a 20% discount on his store, so I got both (with shipping) for ~$300. I'm going to sell my PowerPaks on eBay; hopefully I can get $200 for both, but we'll see.

I'm covered with the Genesis and N64 (Mega Everdrive v2 and 64Drive). At some point I'll look into ODEs for the Dreamcast, Saturn, and PS1.
Which store did you order from? Of course, everyone knows about StoneAgeGamer as the US distributor, but Krikzz has always shipped directly to the USA and costs less. Unfortunately, most people don't know that you can still order directly from Krikzz because Krikzz.com now links you to his Amazon store, but he also set up Everdrive.me and ships straight out of Ukraine. A friend in Japan who is getting an Nt Mini Noir just ordered three Everdrive N8s from The Everdrive Store (Pro, non-Pro, and a Famicom Pro) and seemingly thinks that's the main place for the discount. Well, I needed a bunch of classic Famicom Everdrive N8 carts to bundle with Hi-Def NES-modded AV Famicoms so I checked and ED Store has them for $119 while Everdrive.me has them for $79. Last year I ordered two Turbo Everdrives for $47 each...
fb73f7ca73490cf999988cc1790b4524.jpg

0bf70588f0d8f8883d5e4ab10da1decb.jpg

Already had one, so that makes three. :)

I should probably go ahead and upgrade my SD2SNES to FXPAK Pro... which reminds me:
e4ba2b134223349d0e5a0131a729e9aa.jpg

I still need to send one of these to my nephew. One is Rev H and the other is Rev E1b that I did the internal mods to upgrade to Rev H (installed Borti's MSU-1 Audio fix board with the caps/inductors to fix operation with 1-chip consoles and I even did the jumper straight to the FPGA pin to change the hardware ID to Rev H. Fun stuff!

I think I'll keep the ol' upgraded E1b revision for myself since it's more personal to me after the work I put into it... especially the clean cuts I did on the Super Famicom shell to make it a universal fit and cleaning up the previous owner's hack job at the top. I still intend to make a 3D printed insert around the mini-USB port and SD card slot.

Love that they added Super Game Boy 2 support, which is essentially a flash cart and a clone Game Boy running on the FPGA! Guess there was a reason they made the FPGA so overpowered. Kinda crazy that the Pro is even more capable... not that they needed to do that (they only made it because parts for the older model were reaching EOL and would not be available in useful quantities).

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
Wife and I have been putting the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K to good use. Last three days we've had to put 10-12 hours/day on it. I have it plugged into the ARC(?) HDMI input of the new 77" LG OLED and this evening while loading up The Expanse in 4K it also prompted me if I wanted just 4K or 4K with HDR. Color me surprised. Shit looks so good on this TV.

Reactions: highland145