The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, or Clear and Present Danger?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: gorcorps
Bought this pack at walmart as I haven't seen any of them, and heard good enough things to be worth buying. What would you suggest I start with? The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, or Clear and Present Danger?

edit: poll added

you should have an option for all three, they are all good.

IMO THFRO was the best of te three

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Originally posted by: TerryMathews
They really need to make a movie adaptation of Without Remorse. Paramount's been sitting on the rights for something like a decade now, there's been two seperate scripts written and rejected.

ZOMG, it would be the epitome of badassery.

I :heart: Without Remorse.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: rasczak
Originally posted by: gorcorps
Bought this pack at walmart as I haven't seen any of them, and heard good enough things to be worth buying. What would you suggest I start with? The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, or Clear and Present Danger?

edit: poll added

you should have an option for all three, they are all good.

IMO THFRO was the best of te three

Well I'm gonna watch them all eventually, but I wanted to know which first? Can't really watch them all at the same time without missing some stuff :p

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Watch them in chronological order. Besides, Red October is the best. :)

Edit:
Originally posted by: nkgreen
They really need to make a movie adaptation of Without Remorse. Paramount's been sitting on the rights for something like a decade now, there's been two seperate scripts written and rejected.

God, that'd be sweet. Who could play Clark?

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Originally posted by: LtPage1
Watch them in chronological order. Besides, Red October is the best. :)

Edit:
Originally posted by: nkgreen

God, that'd be sweet. Who could play Clark?

I can't think of too many actors who could pull it off. Steve McQueen or Charlton Heston could of, but that's out of the question. :p
rose.gif

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

wow can you imagine something like that hitting the big screen in todays society?

it would make a great movie though.

I think I will go read it again.

moks78

Lifer
Jan 5, 2001
Watch all of them and also read the books/novels too.

Like all movies based on novels...they are not as good as the written media.

Like what the others said...read Without Remorse. You'll be asking Clancy for more.

He had some misunderstanding with the Paramount CEO that time about control of the story and probably future royalty on the movie.

Has he done any new novels aside from the military books he endorses?

Or he is retired now and just managing all the money he got fm the books and the movies?

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: KLin
Watch them in the order they were released. Red October first, Patriot games 2nd, then clear and present danger.

:thumbsup:

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
Another vote for Without Remorse. It is definately my favorite book involving characters from teh Ryan series (I've read all of them up to Red Rabbit, lost intererst w/ that one). Just such a brutal book.

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
Aby one of those movies will increase the size of your penis +1.

So you need to see all three.

penis size ++3!

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999

I agree with this person. Great book.

When I was reading the books back when they were coming out my mental picture of Jack Ryan was fairly close to Alec Baldwin (yeah, hate his politics, horrible father, like his acting) so that movie really worked for me. Star Trek doc as the wife was way off and made me suspect train wreck coming at the start: luckily she had seconds of screen time. Anne Archer was a perfect recast for the wife and I would have much preferred the movies continue with her and Baldwin.

Who would be your actor choice for Jack Ryan?

Oh, and definitely go with Red October first.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Of the movies, I liked Hunt for Red October best. Connery is king and while I don't like Baldwin generally, he's does well enough in this movie.

And yeah, a movie based on Without Remorse would be bad ass. My favorite book in the series.

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Punter
Originally posted by: hellokeith
Sum of All Fears is an excellent movie, should be included.

No, the movie sucked. The dvd audio commentary with Clancy and the director is awesome though as Clancy tears the director a new one.

i think Punter was either high or drunk or both when he said that movie was excellent. what a load of crap.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
"it almost sounds like.... singing?"

Hunt for the Red October

great movie, they are all very good.