The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, or Clear and Present Danger?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Bought this pack at walmart as I haven't seen any of them, and heard good enough things to be worth buying. What would you suggest I start with? The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, or Clear and Present Danger?

edit: poll added

Aug 25, 2004
Four movies have been produced based on Clancy novels featuring Jack Ryan, starring three different actors as Ryan:

* The Hunt for Red October (1990) ? Alec Baldwin
* Patriot Games (1992) ? Harrison Ford
* Clear and Present Danger (1994) ? Harrison Ford
* The Sum of All Fears (2002) ? Ben Affleck

The chronology of the movies was altered from the novels. The film adaptation of Patriot Games is a sequel to The Hunt for Red October, rather than a prequel, with the Ryan role recast. Also, while the novel The Sum of All Fears takes place after Clear and Present Danger, the film takes place earlier in Ryan's career.

The Sum of All Fears is not part of the Baldwin/Ford trilogy, but rather an intended reboot of the franchise. The discrepancy can be seen in the fact that he meets John Clark for the first time in Clear and Present Danger and the Clark character is significantly different; Ryan is also married in the first three films.
-W

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Watch them in the order they were released. Red October first, Patriot games 2nd, then clear and present danger.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Hunt > Clear and Present Danger > Patriot Games > Sum of All Fears.

All of them are good movies though.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: hellokeith
Sum of All Fears is an excellent movie, should be included.

I've already seen that one. Don't have it though.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I just watched thfro again after a few years and it definitely lost some of its drama due to ussr not really existing anymore. When it was made it seemed it was more real/vital. Now it feels more like a relic. Good movie, but dated.

Punter

Jul 21, 2006
Originally posted by: hellokeith
Sum of All Fears is an excellent movie, should be included.

No, the movie sucked. The dvd audio commentary with Clancy and the director is awesome though as Clancy tears the director a new one.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Patriot Game is good, Red October is not bad. Clear and Present Danger is more detective work than thriller.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Originally posted by: drnickriviera
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
They need to make a movie off of Red Storm Rising

God yes, that movie would be epic

Surprised that they haven't done this yet. No Jack Ryan though. I still have my hard bound copy kept somewhere.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They really need to make a movie adaptation of Without Remorse. Paramount's been sitting on the rights for something like a decade now, there's been two seperate scripts written and rejected.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Clear and Present easily, Red October is kinda overrated in my opinion, and Harrison Ford is the only true Jack Ryan.