The horror of abortion restrictions

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I think you should be able to abort up to like the 3 month mark. You had a choice until that point. After that you are going to have the baby since you chose not to abort it. Adoption is on the table now, or keeping it.

So its still pro-choice but with a dead line. 3 months is plenty to decide.

That would be an unimaginably more humane system than we currently have. And just as unimaginably horrifying to NOW and NARAL.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I think you should be able to abort up to like the 3 month mark. You had a choice until that point. After that you are going to have the baby since you chose not to abort it. Adoption is on the table now, or keeping it.

So its still pro-choice but with a dead line. 3 months is plenty to decide.

So you have no problem with telling women what to do with their body.

The debate is simply over when it is ok to tell a woman what to do with her body.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Bullshit.

:rolleyes:

It isn't bullshit. All states allow abortion on demand for mental health reason such as depression, which any one can fake. Many states allow abortions on demand for any reason at any time of pregnancy, you can just go to one of these states and get it done. There is NOTHING that legally restricts someone from getting an abortion at 40 weeks for the hell of it.

Lalakai

Golden Member
Nov 30, 1999
it's the ability to choose and direct your life. The right to choose is an expensive gift that cost many many lives. I do not support abortion, but even more, I support your right to choose.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
:rolleyes:

It isn't bullshit. All states allow abortion on demand for mental health reason such as depression, which any one can fake. Many states allow abortions on demand for any reason at any time of pregnancy, you can just go to one of these states and get it done. There is NOTHING that legally restricts someone from getting an abortion at 40 weeks for the hell of it.

Forty-one states have laws banning most post-viability abortions (AL, AZ, AR, CA, CT, DE, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NY NC, ND, OH, OK, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WY).

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
You can get an abortion on demand until the moment of birth in the U.S for any reason, we have the most lax laws on abortion in the western developed world.
This is because democrats want to reduce the number of abortions.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...untries-where-practice-is-banned-6292070.html
Dr Sedgh said there was a link between higher abortion rates and regions with more restrictive legislation, such as in Latin America and Africa. They also found that 95 to 97 per cent of abortions in those regions were unsafe. The authors defined unsafe abortion as any procedure done by people lacking necessary skills or in places that did not meet minimal medical standards.
So we know for a fact that banning things like abortion and drugs makes both of them much more common, yet republicans keep fighting against them. Are republicans trying to ruin America? The red states have the highest rates of abortion, highest rates of teen pregnancy, highest rates of divorce, lowest education, and the highest obesity rates. It's like some huge conspiracy to turn this into a third world country.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
This is because democrats want to reduce the number of abortions.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...untries-where-practice-is-banned-6292070.html

So we know for a fact that banning things like abortion and drugs makes both of them much more common, yet republicans keep fighting against them. Are republicans trying to ruin America? The red states have the highest rates of abortion, highest rates of teen pregnancy, highest rates of divorce, lowest education, and the highest obesity rates. It's like some huge conspiracy to turn this into a third world country.

Do you want to explain why banning abortion causes people to get them?

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011

ALL of them permit it for reasons of depression. The Supreme Court has struck down any restrictions on abortion for mental health reasons including depression. Anyone one can fake depression, over 50% of the people diagnosed with it and other mental health illnesses don't have it already.

Apr 27, 2012
From what I have read, the risk of mortality is less than 0.001% if done in the first trimester, and lower than the risk of carrying to term.

He might be talking about gender based abortion, you know where mothers find out if the baby is a boy or girl and then get an abortion if its a girl

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
ALL of them permit it for reasons of depression. The Supreme Court has struck down any restrictions on abortion for mental health reasons including depression. Anyone one can fake depression, over 50% of the people diagnosed with it and other mental health illnesses don't have it already.

Got anything to back that up?

Depression is a medical diagnosis. I take issue with your claim that anyone can just get a late-term abortion "for the hell of it". I very seriously doubt that this is the case, or that it happens nearly as often as pro-lifers claim.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Got anything to back that up?

Depression is a medical diagnosis. I take issue with your claim that anyone can just get a late-term abortion "for the hell of it". I very seriously doubt that this is the case, or that it happens nearly as often as pro-lifers claim.

Just go to a doctor complain of being sad, say you have no reason to live, say you have no one that cares about you. Talk about wanted to die. Then bam diagnosed.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The same affect that any institution has on laws. If an institution serves to influence society, which I'd say religion does, then we can certainly say it influences the laws which that society crafts.

Then if they want to be a player then why don't they have to pay taxes? Why should your beliefs be pushed on others? Would you have a problem if you were forced to be a Muslim?

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012

No lie is too big to tell! lol

So, you don't have anything to back up your claims then?
Of course not. Apparently, its so easy to fake a mental illness and have an abortion...yet, there is no proof of "on demand" abortions taking place..anywhere.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Then if they want to be a player then why don't they have to pay taxes? Why should your beliefs be pushed on others? Would you have a problem if you were forced to be a Muslim?

Why is it okay for you to force me to pay for the logical consequences of your beliefs?

blah blah blah

Liberals are just as happy to force their beliefs on others. They are just a bunch of hypocrites who like to pretend they are not doing it.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why is it okay for you to force me to pay for the logical consequences of your beliefs?

blah blah blah

Liberals are just as happy to force their beliefs on others. They are just a bunch of hypocrites who like to pretend they are not doing it.

What beliefs do we push that you are against besides using your brain?

Last edited:

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
No lie is too big to tell! lol

Of course not. Apparently, its so easy to fake a mental illness and have an abortion...yet, there is no proof of "on demand" abortions taking place..anywhere.

The laws allow for them, you would be a foolish to think they do not happen.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
What beliefs do we push that you are against besides using your brain?

We can start with you forcing me to support the reproductive choices of single women.

Hint: If you ideas are so good why are they dependent on bail outs?

The laws allow for them, you would be a foolish to think they do not happen.

The better question is why liberals think it matters. It doesn't magically stop being the woman's body.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
I support abortion on demand for any reason at up to 24 weeks, I just think we need restrictions after that.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
We can start with you forcing me to support the reproductive choices of single women.

Hint: If you ideas are so good why are they dependent on bail outs?

The better question is why liberals think it matters. It doesn't magically stop being the woman's body.

Why do you worry about other peoples bodies? That's kinda creepy dude.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Why do you worry about other peoples bodies?

Because they want me to pay for the choices they make with their body.

Stop expecting me to bail you out for the dumb choices you make with your body and I will quit worrying about it.

That sounds more than fair.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Because they want me to pay for the choices they make with their body.

Stop expecting me to bail you out for the dumb choices you make with your body and I will quit worrying about it.

That sounds more than fair.

How are you paying for all abortions please provide the data for this.