The GOG & Steam Sale Thread

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'd heard about the 2 weeks thing, I did get a refund on a game I'd only put in 30-45 minutes on trying to get it to run smoothly, but didn't get around to requesting a refund until after a month. Still got it.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Well that is glorious. I'd never heard of that! Gahh, I'd need to upgrade my motherboard to take this seriously.

Feb 4, 2009
Well that is glorious. I'd never heard of that! Gahh, I'd need to upgrade my motherboard to take this seriously.

It’s about expectations. I don’t expect ultra settings, I don’t expect 60fps. I expect it to be playable and decent looking. I can run almost anything. I have a Q9650 w/8GB AMD 280x.

Before I get pooped on for my old machine, I know it’s at the end of its useful life.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
It’s about expectations. I don’t expect ultra settings, I don’t expect 60fps. I expect it to be playable and decent looking. I can run almost anything. I have a Q9650 w/8GB AMD 280x.

Before I get pooped on for my old machine, I know it’s at the end of its useful life.

You won't get any razzing from me. While we are often obsessed with the latest and most powerful hardware, we are a computer enthusiast community after all, you can really get a lot out of old systems if you try. One of my main gaming rigs is a Pentium G620 with a GTX 750 Ti. I might not be playing Crysis on it, but it can handle a lot of good games. Currently playing Pillars of Eternity at 1080p high settings just fine.

Feb 4, 2009
You won't get any razzing from me. While we are often obsessed with the latest and most powerful hardware, we are a computer enthusiast community after all, you can really get a lot out of old systems if you try. One of my main gaming rigs is a Pentium G620 with a GTX 750 Ti. I might not be playing Crysis on it, but it can handle a lot of good games. Currently playing Pillars of Eternity at 1080p high settings just fine.

I can play crisis don’t like it but it runs

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
steam is turning into redacted

Profanity is not allowed in the
tech areas.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Steam isn't as bad as everyone claims. There are a lot of changes that had to be made for them to keep up with Origin and GoG. They couldn't keep to their old ways with other digital distributors on the rise. In the end, the consumer (us) get screwed with shoddy sales and lots of changes to a system that works but change was inevitable.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Since the autumn sale is coming and this thread is still active, we may as well re-use it.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It has to be both under two weeks and two hours run time.
YMMV, I just checked, I bought a game on 6/21, less than 1 hour playtime, refunded on 7/12. So I wouldn't depend on being able to get one after two weeks, but it can definitely happen.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
The rules are there but you can ask for a refund and depending on WHY you're asking for the refund, you may get it or you may not. I know I'm not the only one who bought games years ago and still haven't played them so it stands to reason that if I finally install a game I purchased a long time ago only to find out there's a major game-breaking bug preventing me from progressing that the developer never fixed, I could probably get a refund.

Feb 4, 2009
It’s like any business their stated policy is as previously posted. Exceptions are possible but they are exceptions.

I’m sure valve runs like any other big retail business. All of us have a lifetime value score that’s likely based upon average purchase price, what’s bought on sale vs at regular price and how regularly do returns happen and how much is the average cost of support emails. Once these are known it’s easy to Putnam a total revenue number on your account. There is a score they want, above that score they’ll do extra stuff for you, way above that score they’ll do tons of stuff for you, below the score they’ll hold you to the rules, way below that score they’ll do nothing extra for you.

I wouldn’t be surprised if doenload speeds and rare card drops are influenced by your customer score.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It’s like any business their stated policy is as previously posted. Exceptions are possible but they are exceptions.

I’m sure valve runs like any other big retail business. All of us have a lifetime value score that’s likely based upon average purchase price, what’s bought on sale vs at regular price and how regularly do returns happen and how much is the average cost of support emails. Once these are known it’s easy to Putnam a total revenue number on your account. There is a score they want, above that score they’ll do extra stuff for you, way above that score they’ll do tons of stuff for you, below the score they’ll hold you to the rules, way below that score they’ll do nothing extra for you.

I wouldn’t be surprised if doenload speeds and rare card drops are influenced by your customer score.

I really would be surprised by that.

I have like 2000 games on steam and almost never return something, so who knows what their formula is.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The rules are there but you can ask for a refund and depending on WHY you're asking for the refund, you may get it or you may not. I know I'm not the only one who bought games years ago and still haven't played them so it stands to reason that if I finally install a game I purchased a long time ago only to find out there's a major game-breaking bug preventing me from progressing that the developer never fixed, I could probably get a refund.

I disagree that you'd have almost any chance of a refund.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Plenty of games can be run outside of steam where your play time is not logged so they had to put a real time limit on ownership.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
So far, this sale is actually pretty decent. Lots of big titles are 50% off. Though I do remember the steam sales when brand new games were 60% off and older games would easily hit 85% off. Might have to finally grab Nioh, Nier Automata, Rimworld, and a few others.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
picked up the following:

Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing + DLC
Age of Empires 3 - Complete Collection
Hob
This War of Mine
Warhammer 40k: Sanctus Reach (on GoG)

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
So far I haven't found anything special with the pricing. I mean I agree that the discounts are where they usually are during the weekly sale but the flip is that if i don't buy today I know I can get the same price in a couple of weeks. I guess the exception that I've seen are that subnautical is on sale (not much of a discount but i haven't seen it on sale in a while) and VC4 is 50% off which is pretty good for a new game which is fantastic. Conversely it was overpriced to begin with but whatever...

So far, this sale is actually pretty decent. Lots of big titles are 50% off. Though I do remember the steam sales when brand new games were 60% off and older games would easily hit 85% off. Might have to finally grab Nioh, Nier Automata, Rimworld, and a few others.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
God damn, didn't we just have a sale for Halloween?!

There are definitely some solid discounts in there, I'll probably pick up Rage and Metal Slug 3 for a total of $5-6 dollars, but everything else is close but still above my $5 must buy mark.

Dunno if I changed or the sales did, but I feel like publishers are gotten wise to Steam and are keeping the base game price higher so even 75% cuts, while enticing, don't bring games for sale price down as low as they used to.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I am now nervous to buy on Steam sales due to the Humble Monthly thing. I figure no matter what I buy it will show up on the next months bundle. This probably belongs in the first world problem thread.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I am now nervous to buy on Steam sales due to the Humble Monthly thing. I figure no matter what I buy it will show up on the next months bundle. This probably belongs in the first world problem thread.
If the game is a reasonable price on Steam, just buy it. You could wait a month or two years to see the same game on Humble for $5 cheaper.

I think this sale I'll just grab all the big-name titles on my list since they are all at least 50% off. I really want to see RimWorld go on sale, but I doubt that will happen for a while, so I'll wait on that.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Had to be done but I limited myself to just 5 games.

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem
Nioh: Complete Edition
Killer Instinct
NieR: Automata Standard Edition
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition

It was hard deciding between Killer Instinct and Far Cry 5 but I feel like I can wait for Far Cry 5 since they usually drop in price the moment the next iteration is released and since it's still $60 and there's talk of Far Cry 6 being made, I can wait.