The Gigantopithecus Rough Guide to Budget, Low-end, and Mid-range System Building

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
I don't know about VIA, but RealTek supports DDL (Dolby Digital Live encoding), which means the S/Pdif digital output to a AV system will have all system sounds (if desired), game sounds, DVD, etc etc sounds in a clean compatible multichannel format. Adding this with a sound card can be both messy and expensive. So far my motherboard RealTek audio has been seamless and without issue.

crucibelle

Feb 21, 2005
www.facebook.com
mikeford - I took at look at Via's audio software, and it's missing a few things that the Realtec audio software has.. such as environments. It's probably a minor point to most people, but I like having those environment settings.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why bother read a guide when you can simply post a "Help with new build" thread?

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
Why bother read a guide when you can simply post a "Help with new build" thread?

It's more a guide to help the people assisting with those threads than it is for people wanting to get a new computer. It's actually quite helpful since there are NUMEROUS people on here that consistently recommend ridiculous budget gaming builds. (950, 1600Mhz Ram and 5770 for example) and I'm quite sick of it. This should help the people understand what balence is, or they will simply look like fools among the waves of logical people already helping out on the forums.

Arsynic

Jun 22, 2004
I think it would be helpful to warn people when new stuff is coming out. For example, why buy a new CPU right now if Intel or AMD is doing a refresh in a couple of months?

Arsynic

Jun 22, 2004
This time around after 7 years of building and my fifth rig (3rd personal), I'm taking my time, spending the money where I need to (like the monitor) and researching things carefully. One term I don't see around here anymore and for good reason is "future-proof". There's no such thing. The next best thing is always around the corner. Unless you plan on upgrading every six months, don't bother.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I think it would be helpful to warn people when new stuff is coming out. For example, why buy a new CPU right now if Intel or AMD is doing a refresh in a couple of months?

This time around after 7 years of building and my fifth rig (3rd personal), I'm taking my time, spending the money where I need to (like the monitor) and researching things carefully. One term I don't see around here anymore and for good reason is "future-proof". There's no such thing. The next best thing is always around the corner. Unless you plan on upgrading every six months, don't bother.

The second post answers the first.