Question The FX 8350 revisited. Good time to talk about it because reasons.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Some of us still make a point of thrashing anyone who tries to sell a ~250W CPU and call it "normal".

I would not want any of the old CON core 2M chips, like my old 7700k and 7870k. Those did NOT age well. And let's face it, no matter how much fun it is to mess around with an old Piledriver, 4c/8t Zen1 still kicks its butt all over the place.

Yeah, guess what Amazon has now? Brand new 1500X's lol

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I would not want any of the old CON core 2M chips, like my old 7700k and 7870k. Those did NOT age well. And let's face it, no matter how much fun it is to mess around with an old Piledriver, 4c/8t Zen1 still kicks its butt all over the place.

Only Excavator is remotely usable. Trinity/Richland/Kaveri not so much. Further the IGPs on Trinity/Richland are grandfathered under Win10 with a 2015 driver.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Look man, if you are going to have Larry's PC warehouse, you are going to have to implement an inventory management system. :p

I have a good 990FX board, but I will be actively cooling it when overclocking the 8350. The 8350 I don't have...yet.

Lots of new / refurb AM3+ boards, most ships from China tho

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Yeah, guess what Amazon has now? Brand new 1500X's lol

Used for $170 pass

Only Excavator is remotely usable.

Since that includes Bristol/Stoney . . . yeah. Somewhat!

Trinity/Richland/Kaveri not so much. Further the IGPs on Trinity/Richland are grandfathered under Win10 with a 2015 driver.

What's the driver situation like under Linux? Unfortunately the older APUs suffer from dated iGPU design.

Oh, for sure. Thats why I mentioned farther up that he should just look for a used Ryzen 1 chip instead of trying to get an Opteron to work. Leaps and bounds faster. But, for a CPU that came out in 2012 (8350), its still pretty dang good.

True, and with the prices on hardware being so stupid, it might be just the trick for someone that needs a basic box. Assuming you can find hardware that isn't suffering from age-related effects. I just hope power use isn't an issue. When I look at prices on used R5-1600s it makes me realize that hardware demand is still insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stuka87

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Used for $170 pass

What's the driver situation like under Linux? Unfortunately the older APUs suffer from dated iGPU design.

True, and with the prices on hardware being so stupid, it might be just the trick for someone that needs a basic box. Assuming you can find hardware that isn't suffering from age-related effects. I just hope power use isn't an issue. When I look at prices on used R5-1600s it makes me realize that hardware demand is still insane.

Yeah! Find my R5 1600 in the FS/FT forum! :D

Really though, if you spend a Benjamin on CPU right now it's still not a terrible decision. Very defendable imo.

I am finally purging my house of pre-AM4/coffee lake setups. I have 7850k with a really nice motherboard (the 88x was actually a solid chipset for the time, just no great CPUs to put in them) but as my Plex box it just can't cut it anymore. My daughter is using a AM2/DDR2 Phenom 2 daily for remote learning coupled with a 6570 (buahahaha, try and distract yourself with games on that, girl!!!!) and when the school year ends it is leaving as well.

DDR4 based systems or bust!

• Haha
Reactions: MangoX and scineram

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Used for $170 pass

When I posted, it was $155 new, sold quick.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I would love to help you get rid of that, but the **** VAT/customs charges here makes that a non-starter.

That's almost old enough where you could construct a plausible story about him paying you to recycle it. What happens beneath the table? Well that's something that nobody knows for sure.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Yep

from various youtube comparisons I've seen, the lowly Ryzen 1200 trades blows with FX-8370 in DX11. DX12 evens it out a bit more.

OG Zen falls off hard in modern gaming titles. There was some discussion about bottlenecks in Nvidia's cards on the GPU forms and the first Zen CPUs will bottleneck on midrange Pascal cards in a lot of titles. It might be worse because there wasn't any data for older cards to be able to analyze it properly, but I would be surprised if it bottlenecked a 980 or maybe even a 970 in some cases.

Anyone running an original Zen CPU that does any amount of gaming ought to consider upgrading to at least a 3600 unless they're using a weaker GPU.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
OG Zen falls off hard in modern gaming titles. There was some discussion about bottlenecks in Nvidia's cards on the GPU forms and the first Zen CPUs will bottleneck on midrange Pascal cards in a lot of titles. It might be worse because there wasn't any data for older cards to be able to analyze it properly, but I would be surprised if it bottlenecked a 980 or maybe even a 970 in some cases.

Anyone running an original Zen CPU that does any amount of gaming ought to consider upgrading to at least a 3600 unless they're using a weaker GPU.
Or for those "modern" titles i.e. true, not tacked on, DX12, they can keep using it if they have a Radeon card. And enjoy significantly better performance out of their old FX, Ryzen or Intel systems. I am going to pick up an old Hawaii or the like, to pair with the FX8350 Larry is sending me. That is, when I find the right deal. I don't mind a bit of a mark up considering the market. As long as it is not derptastic levels of scalper pricing.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
That's almost old enough where you could construct a plausible story about him paying you to recycle it.

If only. Even if I got it free of charge, our local tax rules would term it a "gift" and I'd get stuck paying VAT of whatever arbitrary value customs set it at. And the ~$25 handling charge on top.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Or for those "modern" titles i.e. true, not tacked on, DX12, they can keep using it if they have a Radeon card. And enjoy significantly better performance out of their old FX, Ryzen or Intel systems.

To a point that's true. The AMD cards will get a bit better performance due to having a hardware scheduler that doesn't further tax the CPU, but even those will start to hit a CPU bottleneck no older processors, but just not as quickly as Nvidia GPUs positioned similarly.

If only. Even if I got it free of charge, our local tax rules would term it a "gift" and I'd get stuck paying VAT of whatever arbitrary value customs set it at. And the ~$25 handling charge on top.

It's not a gift. You're getting paid to recycle the product. Of course there's probably an entirely different set of hoops to jump through for that.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I am most definitely using Kaveri, since 2014. First GCN APU, w00t!

My 6800K is still running, but it really hasn't held up well. It's okay'ish for basic stuff, but anything with higher performance requirements just kills it.

My Zen+-based Athlons are still going strong on the other hand.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
My 6800K is still running, but it really hasn't held up well.
Neither did the i3 or i5 of the time.

There was way too much

135.png

Going on back then. Everyone was so intent on roasting AMD. And the viral marketers and others with a horse in the race were relentless on the attack. But I searched a few old articles just now. They made me remember why I bought the A8 Trinity with board combo here in FS/FT for like $100 back then. It was my wife's Farmville boxen.

Here is a page from Benchmark Steve on the 6800K when paired with a Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition at 1920x1200. Looks like it is doing fine to me. The iGPU gaming charts have it easily besting that i5 3450. - https://www.techspot.com/review/681-amd-a10-6800k-a4-4000/page7.html

Here is a Legit Reviews on the wife's 5600K - https://www.legitreviews.com/amd-a8-5600k-trinity-desktop-apu-review_2054/14

His conclusion makes the most important point -

That question is one that AMD is banking on. I doubt that AMD is targeting people who are doing heavy number crunching, video rendering or other applications that can put a heavily threaded load on the x86 cores for extended periods of time. AMD is targeting the everyday user looking for a fast system with great graphics at a low price point. In that respect AMD has hit one out of the park with the AMD A8-5600K and other ‘Trinity’ APU’s! Sitting on the test bench at the moment I have the AMD A8-5600K system, and the Intel Core i7 3770K system, both systems are currently connected to the KVM. When it comes to using both of these systems I truly have had to check which one the KVM is switched to several times because it’s almost impossible to tell the difference as the user experience is nearly identical for most tasks.

i7 was expensive, and none of us knew a i7 Sandy or Ivy were going to become legendary futureproof kings. Consequently, I did what I still do, buy at the sweet spot. That is why I never regretted buying FX 8 series or A series CPUs back then. Heck, I have a FX 8350 on the way from @VirtualLarry as we speak. :p The ackchyually crowd can type till their fingers fall off, but I will never succumb. I paid for a BNIB 8350 in 2021 because it was fun to tweak when I had one, and will be fun to play with and see how well it aged for myself. If I can bring myself to break the seal on the box. :oops: You'd have to give me a i3 or i5 through 7th gen, no way I paid for one of those now. That's why those old 4/8 i7s hold value so well, they are the only ones of that era worth having, below HEDT and Xeon. All my opinion of course. And if anyone takes umbrage at anything I typed, grow thicker skin?

EDIT: I also put my money where my mouth is about the old i5. I sold one here a couple years ago. I ended up not accepting payment, and told the buyer I was just happy it found a good home.

Last edited:

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011

There was way too much

135.png

Going on back then. Everyone was so intent on roasting AMD. And the viral marketers and others with a horse in the race were relentless on the attack. But I searched a few old articles just now. They made me remember why I bought the A8 Trinity with board combo here in FS/FT for like $100 back then. It was my wife's Farmville boxen.

Here is a page from Benchmark Steve on the 6800K when paired with a Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition at 1920x1200. Looks like it is doing fine to me. The iGPU gaming charts have it easily besting that i5 3450. - https://www.techspot.com/review/681-amd-a10-6800k-a4-4000/page7.html

Here is a Legit Reviews on the wife's 5600K - https://www.legitreviews.com/amd-a8-5600k-trinity-desktop-apu-review_2054/14

His conclusion makes the most important point -

i7 was expensive, and none of us knew a i7 Sandy or Ivy were going to become legendary futureproof kings. Consequently, I did what I still do, buy at the sweet spot. That is why I never regretted buying FX 8 series or A series CPUs back then. Heck, I have a FX 8350 on the way from @VirtualLarry as we speak. :p The ackchyually crowd can type till their fingers fall off, but I will never succumb. I paid for a BNIB 8350 in 2021 because it was fun to tweak when I had one, and will be fun to play with and see how well it aged for myself. If I can bring myself to break the seal on the box. :oops: You'd have to give me a i3 or i5 through 7th gen, no way I paid for one of those now. That's why those old 4/8 i7s hold value so well, they are the only ones of that era worth having, below HEDT and Xeon. All my opinion of course. And if anyone takes umbrage at anything I typed, grow thicker skin?

EDIT: I also put my money where my mouth is about the old i5. I sold one here a couple years ago. I ended up not accepting payment, and told the buyer I was just happy it found a good home.

I read something about the 8350 / FX series that one of the subsystems (memory, com fabrics?) or something was actually over-volted, and if dialed back, gave better performance, due to dumping less heat and what not. I did not mess with it at the time I read it, I only did the undervolt on the 8350 due to not getting an 8300, HOWEVER, I may forego my 5800X budget beater build today and mess with the 8320e that I never even tested yet! :laughing:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012

Just to clarify, the biggest issues with Trinity/Richland are that the module penalty kicks in a lot more today then back then, because everything has become multithreaded. T/R lacks the Kaveri enhanced frontend and double decoder so it hurts a lot more on these. Then there is the IGP driver situation, any issues cropping up won't ever be fixed. Worse, any security issues won't be fixed either.

If I can bring myself to break the seal on the box. :oops:

It's almost a collectors item, so I think I know how you feel.

I've always liked AMD platforms "tweakability". Intel systems are way more locked down.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I read something about the 8350 / FX series that one of the subsystems (memory, com fabrics?) or something was actually over-volted, and if dialed back, gave better performance, due to dumping less heat and what not. I did not mess with it at the time I read it, I only did the undervolt on the 8350 due to not getting an 8300, HOWEVER, I may forego my 5800X budget beater build today and mess with the 8320e that I never even tested yet! :laughing:
I was sorry I let my 8320e go. It did not overclock nearly as well as the 8350, but it was way more power efficient OOB.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Just to clarify, the biggest issues with Trinity/Richland are that the module penalty kicks in a lot more today then back then, because everything has become multithreaded. T/R lacks the Kaveri enhanced frontend and double decoder so it hurts a lot more on these. Then there is the IGP driver situation, any issues cropping up won't ever be fixed. Worse, any security issues won't be fixed either.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely avoid buying any of those old combos now. :beercheers:

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Used for $170 pass

1500X's back in stock, $115.46. Posted in Hot Deals.