Question The FX 8350 revisited. Good time to talk about it because reasons.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm going to share something sad with you guys, since we're on the subject of FX-series CPUs...

I had built, a few years ago (maybe 3-5 years ago, maybe not quite that long ago), some FX rigs for S&G. An 8320e, and a 6300, I think. I stuffed a GT 1030 into one of them, and gave it to a family friend for their grandkids to use as a "gaming PC".

Well, just the other day, I find out that the male grandkid, had at some point recently taken it all apart, and couldn't get it back together. Sad, yeah, I know. I told the family friend to tell the grandkid to watch some YouTube videos on PC building, he could get it put together right quick if he watch some videos. (Assuming that he didn't damage anything, which he might have, the friend didn't say.)

I've got a couple more PCs to give this friend, when I can get them cleaned up and fully assembled, but ... kind of a shame to see the FX rig "gone".

I think that I have another one in storage, not that I really want/need it, I guess, I would prefer it gone to a loving home at this point, but whatever.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Wow, old thread revived.

To answer the revivers question, it depends on the motherboard as to the Operton working in a mobo that was originally intended for
Does anyone here know what AM3+ motherbird is required to run one of these Opteron 3000 series. I'm thinking of swapping out my 8350 FX on my windose box for an Opteron 3365 (65W/2.3GHz base) because the new forced windows update to 2020 H2 broke frequency control even further and leaves me in an awkward situation:

In the recent past (almost ~2 years ?), frequency control was broken in win10 builds, leaving the user (me) only two choices. Either run at the lowest frequency, 1.4GHz, or run with no limits, which for me means running all or nearly all cores under full load at base/boost of 4/4.2GHz, which is terrible perf watt.

My cooler ends up spinning to very whiny frequencies since I constantly have 5 to 7 distributed computing threads running.

Before the forced windows update, I had work around to this windows bug, namely to use AMD Overdrive which allows one to set a desired voltage and frequency for the top frequency. This worked quite well until this last forced update, and now it simply crashes windose whenever trying to use a custom freq/voltage in Overdrive.

Now normal people could simply limit the frequency through the BIOS. My problem is that I have an OEM motherbird, with no such option.

What do you guys think are the odds that my OEM board will recognize a 3365 Opteron?

It seems that the 3380 is using half (possibly less) the wattage at 2.6 GHz as the 8350 is at 4 GHz.

So perf/watt has declined to 77% by clocking to 4GHz, and that's not counting the memory/IO penalty that running at 4ghz vs 2.6 ghz entails. That might be another 10% hit, or slightly more. End result for running at 4GHz might be 65% the perf/watt of running at 2.6GHz.

Wow, old thread revived.

To answer the revivers question, it depends on the motherboard as to the Operton working in a mobo that was originally intended for an FX. OEM boards are typically very limited in CPU support. However, I don't think you will be gaining anything. They both use similar frequency control. If one is broke in Windows 10, the other most likely will be also.

If I was you, I would look around for a Ryzen 1 mobo/CPU. Those can be had pretty readily, and will be vastly faster than any Piledriver CPU.

Reactions: amd6502

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I meant, I have another whole, built PC, with an FX CPU in it. I think, though not positive, that I have a BNIB FX CPU-only somewhere floating around here too, maybe an FX-8350. If I come across it, I will be certain to PM you, OK?
Look man, if you are going to have Larry's PC warehouse, you are going to have to implement an inventory management system. :p

I have a good 990FX board, but I will be actively cooling it when overclocking the 8350. The 8350 I don't have...yet.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Look man, if you are going to have Larry's PC warehouse, you are going to have to implement an inventory management system.
It's not like I don't have massive shelving in my apt... just that I've got boxes piles in-front, and I can't get to the shelf, to look behind the Phenom II X6 BNIB and Q6600 BNIB to see if the FX-8350 BNIB is hiding behind... :p

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
It's not like I don't have massive shelving in my apt... just that I've got boxes piles in-front, and I can't get to the shelf, to look behind the Phenom II X6 BNIB and Q6600 BNIB to see if the FX-8350 BNIB is hiding behind... :p
I want that 8350. Come on Larry -

3kK2.gif

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
OK, ok, that meme was sufficiently motivating. I found the FX-8350, hiding behind my Phenom II X6 1045T. One other motivating factor for moving the boxes in front of my shelf, is that my other mining PC was behind them, and it got shut off to a a breaker trip a few days ago, and I figured, OK, I can do both, I'll look for the FX CPU, and turn on my other mining rig at the same time. Brilliant! :)

But yeah, I've got it right here. I took some pics with my cell phone, but I can't read the Windows system menus on my 4K screen without my glasses, so I don't know which link to click to initiate a BT file-receive operation. Maybe when I get my glasses from the other room I'll put up a pic.

Reactions: NTMBK

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
It's true. 4C/4T did not age well. I never had an FX but I imagine they aged better than expected.

Lol, yeah, I saw the writing on the wall after only having a 2500K for a year and then got a discount 2700K when 3770K came out.

The RA Tech 'tube channel is interesting; the 83xx chips are actually kinda impressive now in non ST dependent games, which is hilarious. So modern MT game engines can do 60 fps + with an ok video card, 16 gig o ram and a good ssd.

Last edited:

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
IMG_20210426_130314.jpgIMG_20210426_130259.jpg

Dunno what to do with it right now, good boards were too much dough last time I looked, and the other 2 old ones I have are lower end (I think).

• Love
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
I've been rather surprised how well my FX8350 has held up for 1080p gaming. With custom settings I can hit 40-60fps in RDR2 (rx 570 4gb ram probably hurts that too). Its not smooth gameplay overall with regular stutters but still impressive and playable. Better than PS4 slim running the game. I should see how well the 2500k runs the game.

Ended up with an 8300 and a couple of spare motherboards too. Even have my old Phenom II 955 quad running technically. It just doesnt get used.

Reactions: lightmanek

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I've been rather surprised how well my FX8350 has held up for 1080p gaming. With custom settings I can hit 40-60fps in RDR2 (rx 570 4gb ram probably hurts that too). Its not smooth gameplay overall with regular stutters but still impressive and playable. Better than PS4 slim running the game. I should see how well the 2500k runs the game.
That is a perfect use case for adaptive sync. RDR2 is not too hard on the CPU, and it should smooth things out. The frame time graph in Fallout 4 went almost flatline after turning it on with an overclocked 6100.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Lol, yeah, I saw the writing on the wall after only having a 2500K for a year and then got a discount 2700K when 3770K came out.

The RA Tech 'tube channel is interesting; the 83xx chips are actually kinda impressive now in non ST dependent games, which is hilarious. So modern MT game engines can do 60 fps + with an ok video card, 16 gig o ram and a good ssd.
It would do worse in the DX11 games, but impressively better in DX12, if he had a Radeon.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
That is a perfect use case for adaptive sync. RDR2 is not too hard on the CPU, and it should smooth things out. The frame time graph in Fallout 4 went almost flatline after turning it on with an overclocked 6100.

Yeah, I'll try it in the near future when I go to full time gaming on a 144hz monitor.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
the 83xx chips are actually kinda impressive now in non ST dependent games, which is hilarious. So modern MT game engines can do 60 fps + with an ok video card, 16 gig o ram and a good ssd.
They are not too far behind a 4c/8t Comet Lake to be honest with you (but that varies game to game of course), certainly much smoother any 2c/4t Intel has had. I’ve watched a comparison video the other day. I was surprised myself. Especially, if you OC it and get good ram. 83xx is a fun project to mess with in 2021, I say 🤙🏻

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
They are not too far behind a 4c/8t Comet Lake to be honest with you (but that varies game to game of course), certainly much smoother any 2c/4t Intel has had. I’ve watched a comparison video the other day. I was surprised myself. Especially, if you OC it and get good ram. 83xx is a fun project to mess with in 2021, I say 🤙🏻

I repaired a couple of these and sold them on ebay. Blew my mind that someone would pay over $100 for these old CPUs, especially given that they weren't even that good when new.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
I repaired a couple of these and sold them on ebay. Blew my mind that someone would pay over $100 for these old CPUs, especially given that they weren't even that good when new.
There were AM3+ boards certified for 64 gigs of ram and some had even M2 slots (!), all for roughly $100. They were amazing value back then (I remember 8300 95w going for $120 for example, Intel 4c/8t was $300 plus at the time). And thanks to everything heavily MTed now, they can really show their strength and that is multitasking! Even chrome these days, can easily use up all available threads, especially when resuming huge sessions at once. Why replace something that still works and works well?
One of my rigs still has a Thuban cpu that is totally adequate for office work. However, If I could do a drop in upgrade, I would, but I can’t since that board isn’t compatible with Piledriver.

Besides, you can easily undervolt these things to tame its power, if there is a need 😎

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
the 83xx chips are actually kinda impressive now in non ST dependent games, which is hilarious. So modern MT game engines can do 60 fps + with an ok video card, 16 gig o ram and a good ssd.

This seems to be the case for a lot of AMD hardware (not as much current day). Up front it tends to be lack luster, but then as time goes by, it gets... better. Be it Piledriver CPUs, or Tahiti GPUs.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
There were AM3+ boards certified for 64 gigs of ram and some had even M2 slots (!), all for roughly $100. They were amazing value back then (I remember 8300 95w going for $120 for example, Intel 4c/8t was $300 plus at the time). And thanks to everything heavily MTed now, they can really show their strength and that is multitasking! Even chrome these days, can easily use up all available threads, especially when resuming huge sessions at once. Why replace something that still works and works well?
One of my rigs still has a Thuban cpu that is totally adequate for office work. However, If I could do a drop in upgrade, I would, but I can’t since that board isn’t compatible with Piledriver.

Besides, you can easily undervolt these things to tame its power, if there is a need 😎

If I recall correctly, I picked up one of the last versions AM3+ boards Asus made. 970 chipset but it had m.2 slot and rgb on it.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
With the exception of course, being the higher end parts. CPUs and GPUs are still sucking down 100s of watts in that tier. People went bananas over the FX9590 being 220W. Now everyone is all Anderson Silva with the "It's Normal". :p

Some of us still make a point of thrashing anyone who tries to sell a ~250W CPU and call it "normal".

This seems to be the case for a lot of AMD hardware (not as much current day). Up front it tends to be lack luster, but then as time goes by, it gets... better. Be it Piledriver CPUs, or Tahiti GPUs.

I would not want any of the old CON core 2M chips, like my old 7700k and 7870k. Those did NOT age well. And let's face it, no matter how much fun it is to mess around with an old Piledriver, 4c/8t Zen1 still kicks its butt all over the place.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I would not want any of the old CON core 2M chips, like my old 7700k and 7870k. Those did NOT age well. And let's face it, no matter how much fun it is to mess around with an old Piledriver, 4c/8t Zen1 still kicks its butt all over the place.

Oh, for sure. Thats why I mentioned farther up that he should just look for a used Ryzen 1 chip instead of trying to get an Opteron to work. Leaps and bounds faster. But, for a CPU that came out in 2012 (8350), its still pretty dang good.