The Elder Scrolls Online announced

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 11, 2008
To each their own, but the biggest thing you get is content. MMO's always have more content than single player games, especially since most single player games these days are lacking a lot of game-time or replayability.

In fact, I played Skyrim for 90+ hours and that was the replayability period. The game only has about 30 hours of physical play, but if they can do that in a single-player game, MMO's can surely beat it.

I've always been a big fan and will definitely make this purchase. :D

As you said, each to his own. My preference is single player all the way though. No monthly fee, no need to meet up with other players, ability to play whenever/however much you want, and a story with a definite ending(usually). I understand those who like MMOs, but I am sad to see the dearth of single player games. Skyrim was the last great single player game I have played since KOTOR/DAO, would be really sad to see Bethesda stop making them or just turning out half hearted efforts because they are much more interested in the MMO. And as I have already said in another post, I have given up on Bioware for quality single player games already.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
As you said, each to his own. My preference is single player all the way though. No monthly fee, no need to meet up with other players, ability to play whenever/however much you want, and a story with a definite ending(usually). I understand those who like MMOs, but I am sad to see the dearth of single player games. Skyrim was the last great single player game I have played since KOTOR/DAO, would be really sad to see Bethesda stop making them or just turning out half hearted efforts because they are much more interested in the MMO. And as I have already said in another post, I have given up on Bioware for quality single player games already.

+1.

I am fine with socialization and games intended for that purpose. But I don't want to give up being "The Hero of the Realm" type experience you get in single player games. And I don't want to feel like I have to integrate with people who live half way around the world and i will never ever encounter again, as if they were by closest friends just to have a gaming experience.

I played Evercrap for over a year and just burnt out on it to the point where I don't want to play any more MMOs. Even though WoW and SW:ToR have both been highly recommended to me. You like them? Great for you.

I do hope that the single player experience remains and continues.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
It might end up good. To me, MMORPGs are not synonymous of automatic failure and boredom (I've played terrible and good ones), it could be worth it, time will tell. With this said however, I do not see why they would also commit time, money and manpower for yet another expensive and ambitious single-player Elder Scrolls game. If they go the MM Online RPG route then it will most likely be the only route the series will take from that point. I'd like to predict right here, right now that The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was the last single-player title of the franchise.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
To each their own, but the biggest thing you get is content. MMO's always have more content than single player games, especially since most single player games these days are lacking a lot of game-time or replayability.

In fact, I played Skyrim for 90+ hours and that was the replayability period. The game only has about 30 hours of physical play, but if they can do that in a single-player game, MMO's can surely beat it.

I've always been a big fan and will definitely make this purchase. :D

Eh?

I spent 200 hours on my first Play-through of Skyrim.

what game were you playing?

:hmm:

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Eh?

I spent 200 hours on my first Play-through of Skyrim.

what game were you playing?

:hmm:

My first play-through is approaching the hundred hour mark and I still haven't hit half of what is out there. Yeah, I know. Kind of slow, but life intrudes. :(

Grimbones

Jun 12, 2004
Why are all you single player purists allowing the release of an MMO version of a game to dampen your spirits so greatly...I have enjoyed every elder scrolls game, and have been looking forward to hear the announcement of an elder scrolls MMO forever now. Just because the game is massively multiplayer does not somehow mean that the series is going to be ruined, and it does not also mean they are never going to release another single player version of the game.

Yes, typical MMO kiddies can ruin almost every game, but turn off global chat, and that will be a thing of the past! Anyway, i just wanted to tell everyone that the game is not going to be ruined because it is becoming an MMORPG, and if it is ruined, and is bombs, then they will abandon the experiment and go back to single player games sooner than you can blink.

In closing, nobody is forcing you to play the MMO version...Skyrim came out late last year, and this MMO is supposed to be released in 2013, anyway you look at it, typical elder scrolls games do not release within a year of themselves, so i am positive this has been created independent of the studios that typically produce the single player versions of the game.

My only concern with the game is how the whole left click/ right click is going to transfer into an MMO environment. Skyrim helped to boost the entertainment value of the combat in elder scrolls, but before that, the combat never did a whole lot for me...i always loved the games because of the world--and how great to explore the world was!

Keep your chins up!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Because so far every MMO based on a successful franchise has either sucked ass or at the very least, ruined the original franchise.

Grimbones

Jun 12, 2004
I do not think that is entirely true. MMO's are not inherently evil, and they can be a lot of fun if done correctly. I think you are just over generalizing. The only one i can think of that may have ruined a franchise is WoW, and i do not really think it is ruined--though the current expansion certainly isn't helping matters--if you look at blizzard it took 10 years to come out with a starcraft 2, and diablo 3 took forever as well...warcraft 4 may be a couple years away, but i do not think they would entirely abandon a successful series...Plus, if you create a follow up, and it has good lore you can have a jumping off point for another MMO! The cycle of life, it's so beautiful.

Last edited:

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
MP was the only thing that was missing with Skyrim. If this is the same quality as Skyrim, then this will 100% be my go to MMORPG. I think the playerbase will be older than most MMOs as this series goes back and really gets the 70s/80s born D&D nerds blood pumping.

Aug 11, 2008
Why are all you single player purists allowing the release of an MMO version of a game to dampen your spirits so greatly...I have enjoyed every elder scrolls game, and have been looking forward to hear the announcement of an elder scrolls MMO forever now. Just because the game is massively multiplayer does not somehow mean that the series is going to be ruined, and it does not also mean they are never going to release another single player version of the game.

Yes, typical MMO kiddies can ruin almost every game, but turn off global chat, and that will be a thing of the past! Anyway, i just wanted to tell everyone that the game is not going to be ruined because it is becoming an MMORPG, and if it is ruined, and is bombs, then they will abandon the experiment and go back to single player games sooner than you can blink.

In closing, nobody is forcing you to play the MMO version...Skyrim came out late last year, and this MMO is supposed to be released in 2013, anyway you look at it, typical elder scrolls games do not release within a year of themselves, so i am positive this has been created independent of the studios that typically produce the single player versions of the game.

My only concern with the game is how the whole left click/ right click is going to transfer into an MMO environment. Skyrim helped to boost the entertainment value of the combat in elder scrolls, but before that, the combat never did a whole lot for me...i always loved the games because of the world--and how great to explore the world was!

Keep your chins up!

KOTOR 3, or the lack of it ever being made. I rest my case.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Wait, I was under the impression Bethesda fired the entire team after Morrowind; because we haven't had a real TES game since....

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
I do not think that is entirely true. MMO's are not inherently evil, and they can be a lot of fun if done correctly. I think you are just over generalizing. The only one i can think of that may have ruined a franchise is WoW, and i do not really think it is ruined--though the current expansion certainly isn't helping matters--if you look at blizzard it took 10 years to come out with a starcraft 2, and diablo 3 took forever as well...warcraft 4 may be a couple years away, but i do not think they would entirely abandon a successful series...Plus, if you create a follow up, and it has good lore you can have a jumping off point for another MMO! The cycle of life, it's so beautiful.

No, they killed what was a great universe (the Warcraft saga) when they announced "Mists of Pandaria" rather than "The Emerald Dream" as the next WoW expansion.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
i guess in a couple of years, every game is going to be an MMO and 90% copy-paste of each other. Heck they're even thinking of getting MMOs in FPS. We talk about how consoles are dumbing down Graphics for PCs. Well, MMOs are well on their way to reducing gaming to a generic bore.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008

Have you noticed some of the features announced (from game informer):

Questing & Dynamic Events

The studio came up with something it calls "hubless" design to combat this problem. Instead of the typical questing design that MMO players intuitively recognize - go to town, pick up quests, complete quests, return to town for reward - The Elder Scrolls Online aims to allow players to enjoy whatever piques their interest as they wander the world, so long as you are appropriately leveled.

The Elder Scrolls is bringing back a much-beloved feature that has largely disappeared from modern MMOs: public dungeons. These caves, ruins, and such are designed in much the same way as the private instanced dungeons in recent MMOs like World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic. The difference is that they're not segregated from the regular world like those areas; the entire point is to create spaces that encourage players to organically group up and work together.

Combat & The Trinity

The stamina bar is the fulcrum around which the entire combat design revolves. The opportunity to sprint, block, interrupt, and break incapacitating effects by using the stamina resource lends a new dimension to the decisions you make in combat.

Stamina management will be a key component of player skill when the fighting gets intense.

Another facet of giving players universal access to these powerful defensive capabilities is a moderate break from the traditional tank/healer/damage "holy trinity" of MMOs. Zenimax Online intends for any five reasonably skilled players to be able to form a group capable of clearing most content.

Players have a small standard MMO hotbar on which they slot a handful of skills freely outside of combat. The limitation on the number of skills available at one time mostly does away with the concept of skill "rotations" that much of the class design of an MMO like World of Warcraft is built on.

... though Zenimax confirmed the game is class-based instead of using the free-form character progression of Skyrim. The currently equipped weapon determines the light and heavy attacks that take up the first two slots, players choose another few class abilities they've unlocked, and the final slot is taken up by an ultimate ability that can be activated only after building up "finesse".

A more dramatic way to build finesse is to combo your skills with yourself or friendly players. One example Zenimax Online shared is a rogue-type character dropping an oil slick on the ground to slow enemies, which can then be set ablaze with fire magic for serious damage potential. Another combo the studio showed off has a fighter running into a firestorm dropped by a friendly mage and activating his spinning whirlwind attack, which turns into an inferno cyclone shooting deadly fireballs in all directions.

PvP & WvW

Instanced, balanced PvP arenas await players who prefer the e-sport side of MMOs.

The most significant point of differentiation between this game and other modern MMOs, however, is the open world, free-form, faction-versus-faction PvP.

The majority of the central province of Cyrodiil is the battleground for endgame PvP, ... Dotted with forts, farms, mines, castles, and other valuable points to conquer, Cyrodiil burns with eternal conflict.

When there are three sides, I always know something is happening.

Players intimidated by the idea of charging into a furious melee can hang out in the back and fire siege weapons, which can crush the walls of a fortress into rubble. The defenders' trebuchets are aiming for your allies...

Smaller targets, like farms and mines, give smaller groups something to do beyond being part of a massive keep-assaulting horde. These more intimate points of interest have perhaps a single flag to conquer and a bare few NPC guards assisting any defenders.

Travel

| Wayshrines enable the fast travel system and also serve as resurrection points. You can teleport from a wayshrine to any other wayshrine you've discovered, ...

Does this reminds of another game you played recently?

First GW2 clone? :)

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
They are unable to balance a game properly for a single player. How the hell are they going to manage it for multi-player?

I played Morrowind +successors because I wanted to be drawn into an enormous world and experience a good story. Not so a guild mate can message me and say, "hey, let's go grind those cliff racers mindlessly because I only need 14,029 more cliff racer scales until I can craft my new boots".

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
MP was the only thing that was missing with Skyrim. If this is the same quality as Skyrim, then this will 100% be my go to MMORPG. I think the playerbase will be older than most MMOs as this series goes back and really gets the 70s/80s born D&D nerds blood pumping.

Well, its not like Skyrim had much "quality" in the first place...A mile wide and an inch deep with the game balance/mechanics that obviously came from somebody who had no idea in making a video game.

kyonu

Dec 1, 2011
Single player vs Multi player balancing is ALWAYS going to be different. Who knows, maybe they have a good idea of what they are balancing in an MMO? Single player balancing is always crap in comparison.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I played Morrowind +successors because I wanted to be drawn into an enormous world and experience a good story. Not so a guild mate can message me and say, "hey, let's go grind those cliff racers mindlessly because I only need 14,029 more cliff racer scales until I can craft my new boots".

LOL. Exactly.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Extremely bad idea - but MMO's seem to generate profits these days.

Not sure why'd they want to do this - but Bioware took KOTOR into the MMO realm so maybe someone figured they could do the same with Elder Scrolls...