The cold boot has gotten worse after watercooling

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macgruber

Dec 17, 2005
not the first post I've seen complaining that higher-speed Corsair RAM does reach advertised specs.

thanks Larry, good to hear this from you. I guess i got taken buying the 1866mhz ram that doesnt even outperform their 1600mhz ram :(

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Are you running 2x8GB or 4x4GB sticks? It's not uncommon to have to reduce speed or increase latencies (timings) or increase voltage with 4 sticks of memory. I have 4 G.Skill DIMMs rated at 8-8-8 and would have odd issues booting every once in a while. Sometimes it would power on but black screen. Other times it would power on, get to my windows logon screen, and would hang there after entering my password for 20-30 seconds, and when it finally logged in, everything would run very buggy. Reduced timings to 9-9-9 and it's been smooth sailing since. Makes me wish I'd have went with 2x8GB sticks (not really sure why I didn't)

Macgruber

Dec 17, 2005
Are you running 2x8GB or 4x4GB sticks? It's not uncommon to have to reduce speed or increase latencies (timings) or increase voltage with 4 sticks of memory. I have 4 G.Skill DIMMs rated at 8-8-8 and would have odd issues booting every once in a while. Sometimes it would power on but black screen. Other times it would power on, get to my windows logon screen, and would hang there after entering my password for 20-30 seconds, and when it finally logged in, everything would run very buggy. Reduced timings to 9-9-9 and it's been smooth sailing since. Makes me wish I'd have went with 2x8GB sticks (not really sure why I didn't)

yeah i originally bought 2x4 (8gb dual channel) at the store... and i needed more so i figured i should probably buy another set of dual channel so i wont have ODD problems of 2x4 dual channel and 1x8 non dual channel

when i set the ram to 1866 and leave voltage at auto it goes to 1.66x which is insane... when i set xmp it sets to 1866 but keeps at 1.502, im a bit scared to mess with the timings, as im already innexperienced as it is..

i got another thread up where im just going through my stock to oc steps again hoping i can get it right but im already hitting bumps in the road. i dont know if i should mess with oc at all if i cant get this memory to function at what its advertised :(

fixbsod

Jan 25, 2012
Have you tried running the RAM at 1600 leaving everything else as is and seeing how this works?

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
yeah i originally bought 2x4 (8gb dual channel) at the store... and i needed more so i figured i should probably buy another set of dual channel so i wont have ODD problems of 2x4 dual channel and 1x8 non dual channel

when i set the ram to 1866 and leave voltage at auto it goes to 1.66x which is insane... when i set xmp it sets to 1866 but keeps at 1.502, im a bit scared to mess with the timings, as im already innexperienced as it is..

i got another thread up where im just going through my stock to oc steps again hoping i can get it right but im already hitting bumps in the road. i dont know if i should mess with oc at all if i cant get this memory to function at what its advertised :(

Yeah, you certainly want to run in pairs to maintain dual channel functionality. Once you have your memory issues sorted, I'd say you're safe giving overclocking a shot. You're only adjusting multiplier at that point so it really shouldn't have an adverse affect on stability. Stability as it relates to memory settings anyway.

Macgruber

Dec 17, 2005
fumde8.png

im still wondering what to do with my PLL and vdroop, many people told me DONT leave it on [Auto] at 4.4ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.