Originally posted by: tnitsuj
1. Pakistan is run by a military dictator who overthrew the elected government, this is not in doubt
Elected government is working in Pakistan. Musharraf agreed to give up as army leader and work as president only. The supreme court of pakistan supported musharraf's move to overthrow the previous government because of it's corruption. Musharraf also won with 99% votes, a referendum held back in 2002, to remain president for next 5 years, and recently got a vote of confidence from the elected assembly. There is more democracy in pakistan today then ever before.
2. Pakistan harbors and is THE major base for Al Qaeda and assorted other Islamic Fundamentalists, this is not in doubt
Wow... seems like you only watch Fox news. Pakistan has never been the so called major base of Al Qaeda. As a matter of fact, Al Qaeda is reponsible for recent terrorists attacks in Pakistan, including two assasination attempts on Musharraf.
3. Pakistan along with Saudi Arabia is a major player in the spread of idealogical fundamentalist Islam including beingthe main sponsor and supporter of the Taliban, this is not in doubt
Pakistan stopped supporting the Taliban immediately after September 11, 2001. If you are going to accuse Pakistan for something it has done long time ago, then don't forget that America trained Osama Bin Laden to fight against Soviet Russia.
4. Pakistan at least indirectly supports terrorism against neighboring states., this is not in doubt
You mean India, right? Indian prime minister just visited Islamabad to start working together to solve major disputes and work towards good relations. If Pakistan was supporting terrorism in India, he would never have done that.
5. Pakistan has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be directly linked to the spread of the most dangerous WMD, nuclear weapons technology, and the above mentioned dictator reportedly knew about it and has engaged in a whitewash by pardoning the man chiefly responsible, this is not in doubt
Above mentioned dictator did not know about any of this as the man responsible had contacts with under world. He did pardon him but he is still under tight scrutiny and survellence and this case is far from over.
6. Pakistans human rights record is dismal to say the least, torture, rape rooms, persecution of women, all there., this is not in doubt
Which human rights are you talking about? Since when has this been the reason to attack an independent country with its own government? There are many countries on the map where human rights are worse than anywhere else. Why not attack them first? Aren't there no rapes, tortures, kidnapping, assault, sniping, child molestations and what not in the US of A? Why are we so concerned about other countries' internal problems when we can't solve ours?
7. Pakistans intelligence services and military are closely intertwined with Islamic militants and are of dubious loyalty to the dictator Musharrif if the proverbial sh!!t hit the fan, this is not in doubt
What the hell are you talking about? What are you smoking, dude? And please, wake up, smell the coffee and stop calling Musharraf a dictator because he is the fvcking President of a democratic country with elected governemnt, that just voted for him to be the president for another five years. 5 Senior most Generals of Pakistan Army has shown full support to the president.
When does Pakistan join the Axis of evil? Does this not qualify as a grave and gathering threat?? I sure think so. I say we start by invading the border region with Afghanistan and dare them to challenge us? Who is with me???
Not me. Just because you think so it doesn't even qualify as a considerable case. For your kind information, the US of A has already a military base in a small town of Pakistan, running its operation at Pakistan's expense, using their resources, and you are talking about attacking them. How many times Pakistan and US forces have run joint operations against terrorists inside Pakistan's terrotary? How many major Al Qaeda leaders Pakistan has captured and handed over to the US? Do you remember anything that Musharraf or any Government offical has said to be considered a threat to US (or the World, as if we care about the world, anyway)? You don't, because they have never said anything like that. Everything that you say from the comfort of your room based on information obtained from propaganda spread by American news channels and never looking at the other side of the picture, is very much in doubt.