The best unkown games

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Giants citizen kabuto - a funny FPS and you can fly with a jetpack! Its control is really easy too, helicopters the same way, i only wish helicopters in GTA or any other game were as easy as they are in this to control. Multiplayer on gamespy was a blast too, dunno if theres still a community there or not though.

Chronicles of riddick escape from butcher bay - another FPS, its really good, massive variety in level types and enemy types, your in a prison a massive high security prison, but theres mutants and aliens that fit into it, robot mechs too. One really big mech called the heavy guard too, its awsome. You also get to interact with the prisoners, kill them if you want, complete missions as well as advance the main story, has a stealth element too. I expected it to be like F.E.A.R since the setting is in a prison, and F.E.A.R's setting is some water facility or warehouse etc for the most part, but the variety in levels within riddick and variety in enemies really surprised me. Even some enemies such as the riot guard come back later with dual gatling cannons attached, theres also a few different varieties of riot guard, i counted 4. You get to command some of these riot suits too :p Its a very good FPS with a fun storyline. Riddicks lines are great too "its not the fall that gets you.... its the sudden stop at the bottom" Good stuff!

Soldiers: Heroes of WWII - This game is amazing, the engine is awsome, the gameplay is better. Its got similarities to commandos, but the game is very open ended, also things can change quickly. I nearly won a mission by protecting an officer, i fought off the panzers and a panther, but my tank died and my AT gun was out of ammo. So i was done, then a tiger rolls onto the maps and proceeds towards the officers hideout, i found a repair kit inside one of the broken german tanks, the panther blew up entirely so i repaired a panzer IV before the tiger got close and ambushed it from behind. Vehicles play a big part in this game if you want them too. They can be very useful. Very good game.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Sacrifice

RTS/FPS hybrid with infusion of fantasy and humor. One of the most creative game I've ever played.

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
Yeah Riddick was an awesome game. Very dark and creepy feeling to it. Bugs flying around and stuff, and you're in prison...it makes your gut wrench a little bit.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
The Marathon Trilogy has been pretty much ignored by most PC gamers as the first and last members of the trilogy were Mac-only and the second game ported a year after its release. They're easily the best 2.5D games out there, and now are freeware and can be emulated on Windows and Linux as well. Not only is the action better than Doom, but the storyline is pretty much unmatched and alongside all the carnage there is plenty of exploration as well. A shame Bungie never released another game 1/10th as good as these ones.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Sacred
Battlezone 1 & 2
Giants: Citizen Kabuko
Armed and Dangerous
Planescape Torment
Rise of Nations
The Myth Series
Psychonauts
Ghost Master
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango
Tron 2.0
System Shock 2
The Thief Series

Some of the only games I have played from start to finish, and enjoyed every minute of...most of them were not huge commercial successes, but were amazing games.

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Galactic Civilizations II: Gold Edition

And from the old DOS days:

Begin

They're working on a mp version.

Begin2

It would be cool if they developed a 3D MP version.

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Silent Hunter
Rise of the Triad
Full Throttle

And there was this other game from the same people that did full throttle, cant remember the name though.

RedBeard

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: zylander
Silent Hunter
Rise of the Triad
Full Throttle

And there was this other game from the same people that did full throttle, cant remember the name though.

The Dig, Sam N Max, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Escape from Monkey Island ect...
All great Lucas Arts titles.

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by: RedBeard
Originally posted by: zylander
Silent Hunter
Rise of the Triad
Full Throttle

The Dig, Sam N Max, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Escape from Monkey Island ect...
All great Lucas Arts titles.

Day of the Tentacle!!! All those old Lucas Arts games were really good.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

This thread comes up every few months. So I'll chime in with what I always do: The Thief Series, SS2, and Chronicles of Riddick.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Er, you know, these threads are so common on net forums anymore, that it's kind of hard to really say the games involved still qualify as unknown, you know?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: PhatoseAlpha
Er, you know, these threads are so common on net forums anymore, that it's kind of hard to really say the games involved still qualify as unknown, you know?

lol, so true.

i'm sick of hearing about Riddick or Dues Ex. Seems like EVERYONE knows about them and won't shut up about them.

I've played both and didn't get whats so great about them. admittedly, i didn't play them until several years after they were released.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: PhatoseAlpha

Yeah but noone ever tells you anything about the game and why its good. Dunno about you but ill never try any of the games mentioned unless theyre free or unless someone describes why theyre good.

I always try and sell riddick and solders to people, theyre new enough to be enjoyed lots.

edit: anyone remember perimeter? wasent it supposed to be good but unpopular? Ive found nothing on it, a dead codemasters forum and no wiki at all. There was a game called perimeter made wasent there?? :p

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX
Call of Juarez will be the next sleeper hit me thinks.

i dunno. as much as i want to like it (I love the Old Wes and Westerns) but I just can't get into it. using both mouse buttons to fire each gun in your hand is a cool concept but just doesn't work for me. in a fast paced FPS style game, the less buttons the better. I always find myself shooting with the left hand hand and forgetting about the right hand gun.