The best unkown games

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Heaven and Earth - best puzzle game ever.

I should be able to add more titles, since I have an embarrassingly large collection of hundreds of games over 20 years, but it's after 3 AM.

OK, since it hasn't been mentioned, A Tale in the Desert: a unique MMO based on crafting, building, and community without combat.

The Warlords Battlecry series, very good turn-based strategy.

The Lost Vikings: my favorite arcade-style PC game, made by some obscure company called Blizzard.

Thexder: another fun scroller

Not sure if it was good much, but not that well-remembered, Seven Kingdoms...

Another well-reviewed but forgotten game I still have unopened, Moonbase Commander.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I too would like to share my enthusiasm for Evil Genius and Warlords: Battlecry (my favorite is number 2).

EDIT:
I got another one, Disciples 2. Good TBS similar to Heroes of M&M, but actually a bit closer to Age of Wonders. You have small armies of 1-6 heroes & monsters and they each gain XP & levels.
When they level up they usually change classes and gain different powers or abilities. Your hero also gains new abilities at each level.
Loads of fun, EXCELLENT animations and genuinely good strategy elements.

You can buy the gold edition in one of those little packs found at the Target/Walmart bargain games rack.

You can also find it here:
http://www.amazon.com/2K-Games...les-Gold/dp/B0007MWDQK

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Daverino
Sid Meier's Gettysburg!

That is surprisingly good. I managed to stay with history. I really wasn't able to turn the war early. The north was simply overwhelmed.

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
OMG... FREEESPACE 2!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE play it if you never have and even remotely like sci-fi!

The open-source engine is truly remarkable, and has given the game new life.

The game is free, the images are publically available. It's possibly one of the most engrossing, polished, impressive games I have ever played. Beats TIE Fighter IMO.. :)

~MiSfit

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I still consider it to be the single best game of all time, and I've been playing games regularly since 1990 or so.

After you play through the game, there are also several excellent user-made campaigns available that match the quality of the original. Especially mine.

/pimp

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
I am sure nobody ever heard of game called MAPLE STORY..I heard it is most popular right now...I just found out several months ago when my good friend stay at my place and play with my computer.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
The WW2 turn based/real time strategy series known as Combat Missions. It's not a graphic master piece but it sure is tons of fun. Theater of War is another WW2 game in the same vain as the CM series except it's RTS all the way. Both game require you to actually develop some good real world style combat strategies and understanding of the use of terrain.

Both games are easy to learn but not hard to master. This is especially true if you are playing against a human opponent. In fact I wouldn't even approach either game using any of the old C&C, Warcraft, Startcraft style of gaming because it wont work at all in these games. If anyone is interested in these games check them out below.

http://www.battlefront.com

P.S. The old Close Combat series was also another good series in similar style to CC and ToW games.