The AT Battlefield 4 F.A.Q., News, and Discussion thread

Page 217 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
Question: Do I get a "Kill" for killing someone who is then revived from a teammate using the defrib?

nope.

edited: im speaking of ticket counts. you personally still get a kill

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I thought people would find this article on game performance using HDs versus SSDs interesting: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/12/10/hdd_vs_ssd_real_world_gaming_performance

Not too surprisingly, they found that hard drives didn't affect framerates in a single game, including BF4 mutliplayer.

At the same time, they mentioned, but did not quantify, the benefit of SSDs on load times. I agree with what others have said in this thread: loading BF4 off of a hard drive is so slow that you can't help but think it has crashed while loading. Running off of an SSD is tolerable, but still much slower than BF3. Perhaps DICE will tweak that a bit in future updates.

I recall there was an issue with load times associated with running AMD cards back when BF3 was introduced. I wonder if anything like that is going on here (I'm on Nvidia this time around, but was using AMD then).

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
I thought people would find this article on game performance using HDs versus SSDs interesting: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/12/10/hdd_vs_ssd_real_world_gaming_performance

Not too surprisingly, they found that hard drives didn't affect framerates in a single game, including BF4 mutliplayer.

At the same time, they mentioned, but did not quantify, the benefit of SSDs on load times. I agree with what others have said in this thread: loading BF4 off of a hard drive is so slow that you can't help but think it has crashed while loading. Running off of an SSD is tolerable, but still much slower than BF3. Perhaps DICE will tweak that a bit in future updates.

I recall there was an issue with load times associated with running AMD cards back when BF3 was introduced. I wonder if anything like that is going on here (I'm on Nvidia this time around, but was using AMD then).

BF3 had a slightly longer load time (if I remember correctly) on my hdd than BF4 does now on a ssd. It wasn't too bad back then. I don't think I could stand waiting to get into games if I was still using a hdd to load.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

There was a video earlier showing load times between an Ramdisk, SSD and HDD. It was something like 30 seconds compared to nearly 2 minutes. The Ramdisk was only slightly faster overall.

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
Just played a game last night with a competent SQ leader. It was actually pretty fun having a kill sq running to specific objectives and a group willing to spot/heal/defib each other.

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
I played in a clan on a Half-life 2 mod called Dystopia, and the STA matches were some of the best fun I've had in a small squad.

It'd be cool to have a regular group of 5-8 people who would like to squad up and pick regular roles.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Anyone notice the Phantom Prospect assignment? I did, so I googled it to try and find out what it was and found this youtube vid on how to open it. Instuctions are for the Xbox One but it works for PC too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ka8Nhoc2nA

I was unable to enter the password using Firefox, but it worked fine in Chrome.

Last edited:

maevinj

Nov 20, 2004
I just don't understand how some nights I can play with no problems, and then other nights my client crashes everytime I join? It just doesn't make sense!

Rezident

Nov 30, 2009

I’m using SSDs but I actually find the load times very quick on BF4, especially considering the size and detail of the maps. I always seem to get in game first and have my pick of vehicles. I assumed everyone else was changing their loadout at the start of every game but I wonder if there is an issue slowing down others’ load times?

Makes up for the crashes I’m still getting I suppose.

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
It is slower on BF4 as in BF3, I actually get in and I get a timer to start. In the former, I spawn along with most guys. I do have the SSD and I got that upgrade specifically for BF3 then.
Now, would OC my CPU get me faster load times?

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Damn that revive/redeploy bug!!!!

Of course it never happens when Im having a bad game, its always when Im the MVP. :mad:

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
It is slower on BF4 as in BF3, I actually get in and I get a timer to start. In the former, I spawn along with most guys. I do have the SSD and I got that upgrade specifically for BF3 then.
Now, would OC my CPU get me faster load times?

If any, difference is negligible. Where you may notice a difference with OC is frame rate, depending on the CPU/GPU combo.

junkiefp

Aug 2, 2006
I'm sorry guys but the game is still barely playable after 1.5 months after release. I get so many crashes it’s not even funny. Crash at least once every 2 rounds is almost guaranteed.

I've tried everything from changing operating systems (now on Win 8.1) to switching from AMD to Nvidia. Small tweaks in settings do nothing for me as well.

The crashes seem to be completely unpredictable and without any pattern. They increased in frequency with the latest update!!! I crash equally on all the maps.

I’m not even mentioning game breaking bugs like broken knife system, completely unbalanced classes (medic and engie is all you will play), horrible weapon balance, stupidly overpowered AA, tanks and attack choppers made of cardboard, rubber banding and hit detection nightmares.

Honestly I was never this disappointed with any game... and frankly don’t understand how the BETA ran smoother than this crap.

Could someone shed some light into the technical aspect of these stability issues? How could DICE let it slip after releasing one of the best online games I have ever played - BF3???

maevinj

Nov 20, 2004
I'm sorry guys but the game is still barely playable after 1.5 months after release. I get so many crashes it’s not even funny. Crash at least once every 2 rounds is almost guaranteed.

I've tried everything from changing operating systems (now on Win 8.1) to switching from AMD to Nvidia. Small tweaks in settings do nothing for me as well.

The crashes seem to be completely unpredictable and without any pattern. They increased in frequency with the latest update!!! I crash equally on all the maps.

I’m not even mentioning game breaking bugs like broken knife system, completely unbalanced classes (medic and engie is all you will play), horrible weapon balance, stupidly overpowered AA, tanks and attack choppers made of cardboard, rubber banding and hit detection nightmares.

Honestly I was never this disappointed with any game... and frankly don’t understand how the BETA ran smoother than this crap.

Could someone shed some light into the technical aspect of these stability issues? How could DICE let it slip after releasing one of the best online games I have ever played - BF3???

I agree. This release is way worse than Bf3 and probably the worse release of all the battlefields. I think EA let some of the Maxis team of SimCity fame work with Dice...

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
It's weird, I've yet to have a crash, yet my son has had many.

Can someone explain the revive/redeploy bug.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005

I've literally never experienced anything you said. I have crashed in maybe 6 times since game been released. The other stuff no problems with as well. Sounds like you just went into the game with issues.

junkiefp

Aug 2, 2006
I've literally never experienced anything you said. I have crashed in maybe 6 times since game been released. The other stuff no problems with as well. Sounds like you just went into the game with issues.

Right... Because Im the only one having these issues. Im not sure you actually have a clue of the extend of the problems people are having. And please dont tell me you dont have balancing issues, issues with sound and rubberbanding and hit detection issues.

What was the reason of your post?

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's weird, I've yet to have a crash, yet my son has had many.

Can someone explain the revive/redeploy bug.

Sometimes you get stuck on the revive screen, but can't select anything. There is literally no way out of it short of exiting the current game. You never redeploy. Has happened to me a few times. The most recent time it happened I noticed exactly what I was doing - I had died, and decided to change guns for my next life. While in the screen selecting my new weapon, someone revived me. But I was stuck then and had to exit out of the current game. I'm not sure if that's a documented way to reproduce it or not, just know that's what happened to me the other night.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
What was the reason of your post?

To prove that not everyone is having issues?

I crash maybe once or twice a week, after 60 hours of gameplay I'd say that isn't so bad.

Balancing issues? Not even sure what that is...

Issues with sound? I do, on a couple maps. Seems like a weird issue, but it is on DICE's to-do list.

Rubber-banding? Occasional, usually the server just needs a restart.

Hit detection issues? Only had this problem once, and it was because my roommate was streaming a movie from my computer...