The anti-crypto thread

Page 82 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
And isn't that still one of the core problems, you still need to exchange to real currency to actually buy anything. Even places where they accept crypto, there is just a middleman who is paid in crypto and then pay the store in real money.

If you were running a remittance service, you could use XNO transfers and bypass banks altogether to get better transfer times and offer your customers lower fees. Many exchanges I've looked at offer lower fees to high-volume traders. People tend to look at these projects in the wrong light. As an individual sending or receiving payments, they're just not "there" yet, and I would argue that Nano is one project that still needs some additional tools for use by anyone, professional or otherwise.

Personally I like Ethereum + Polygon/MATIC + Request better as a system for remittances. But it's more complicated, still requires some tuning, and actually does have some (admittedly tiny) fees associated with it.

You need to examine your zealotry

Who is the zealot? Honestly, we're done, just drop it.

Ignorance, bluster and insults are not impressive.

Then stop using them! You're the only one insulting people here!

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Personally I like Ethereum + Polygon/MATIC + Request better as a system for remittances. But it's more complicated, still requires some tuning, and actually does have some (admittedly tiny) fees associated with it.

"tiny" fees, that are larger than traditional services like OFX.

Chances are you have to pay multiple fees each more than the one smaller fee of OFX besides that.

Because first it seems extremely unlikely you get your salary in Ponzi-Crypto-coins, so this is the first exchange fee. Converting your real money into Ponzi Coins.

Then there is your your actual transaction fees (depending on the Ponzi-Coin)

Then there is final exchange fee your target has to do, to convert the ponzi coins back into real currency.

Who is the zealot? Honestly, we're done, just drop it.

Someone who attacks PHD computers security experts from a position of ignorance.

That would be you.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Anonymity in transfers makes it perfect for terrorist (read: Russian) / illegal war financing, no?

I think you underestimate the amount of money needed for warfare and the amount of money oligarchs have. if they would pass 100s of millions or billions through monero, it would be noticed simply by a massive price increase. What we see is a decline in number of transactions and a decline in price.

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
I've been holding off on posting this story because it's so monumentally stupid I dearly hope it's a publicity stunt, but...

Seth Green was planning on a terrible series starring an NFT, but then he got phished and his NFT stolen.

So, part of the reason the bored apes are popular is that they give the holder reproduction rights. Seth Green, in a moment of delusion, started production on a show featuring his ape as the main character. And then he got phished, lost his NFT and the phisherman sold it to someone else who hasn't responded to Green. So now he's in limbo as he no longer holds the NFT that gave him reproduction rights to his IP with no way to reverse it, the guy who bought his NFT might not be protected by laws that usually protect people who buy stolen goods since the blockchain is public, and Green's best hope is to have the other guy sell him his NFT back (aka pay a ransom).

There's just so many layers of stupid here. If NFTs are the future, the future is stupid.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
On the plus side he'll have plenty of comedy material for the next Austin Powers movie:

DREVIL.jpg

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
LOL, so persecuted, you poor little man :( You should file charges for a hate crime!

You don’t know what hate is if you think this is it. Someone said “mean” (and true) things about your favorite piece of technology, oh noes.

For some people it's for sure hate. I assume they got scammed and can't deal with their own failure so they blame it in the tech.

I can argue that if you make money from the blog, OK. But the fact you even start it and bother that much about "making fun" of something tells me you do hate that thing or else you wouldn't poor that much time and energy into it. I mean I could also make a blog about all the clueless haters and what nonsene they write but then, I have better things to do.

• Haha
Reactions: repoman0

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
For some people it's for sure hate. I assume they got scammed and can't deal with their own failure so they blame it in the tech.

I can argue that if you make money from the blog, OK. But the fact you even start it and bother that much about "making fun" of something tells me you do hate that thing or else you wouldn't poor that much time and energy into it. I mean I could also make a blog about all the clueless haters and what nonsene they write but then, I have better things to do.

Delusional.

Please continue to tell me things you made up about someone I actually know though 😂

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
Delusional.

Please continue to tell me things you made up about someone I actually know though 😂
'You must be poor' or 'you must've lost money' is a really common and giggle-worthy response from crypto-defenders, especially so soon after a 50% crash.

Good to hear about Molly White, I knew her blog was mining comedy gold, I just didn't know there was enough to do it full-time!

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
'You must be poor' or 'you must've lost money' is a really common and giggle-worthy response from crypto-defenders, especially so soon after a 50% crash.

if you read my post again you would see that it simply was a typo and I meant "pour". After all English isn't my first language, that also played a part in that error. But it is telling how you jump on it. Like if that is your argument against crypto that there are some arrogant POS in the community?

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Delusional.

Please continue to tell me things you made up about someone I actually know though

Not delusional. Human nature 101. Do you invest hours a day for something you don't get anything out of? Either she makes money from it or she really hates the tech. I mean I don't like some things as well but I don't go chasing around hrs per day and make a blog to make fun of that thing.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Not delusional. Human nature 101. Do you invest hours a day for something you don't get anything out of? Either she makes money from it or she really hates the tech. I mean I don't like some things as well but I don't go chasing around hrs per day and make a blog to make fun of that thing.

Guess you didn’t read the article which points out she has like 100,000 contributions on Wikipedia as well. Some people are interested in public service, like blogging about predatory tech or correcting and contributing to a free store of human knowledge, but it makes sense that that’s beyond a typical crypto bro.

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
if you read my post again you would see that it simply was a typo and I meant "pour". After all English isn't my first language, that also played a part in that error. But it is telling how you jump on it. Like if that is your argument against crypto that there are some arrogant POS in the community?
Apologies, that wasn't my intent and I honestly didn't even notice a typo (context made it clear which word you meant). I'm also the last person to mock a typo, I make plenty of them myself.

I added 'you must be poor' to your 'you must have been scammed' because it's a ludicrously common argument/insult in crypto circles (and mentioned in the Washington Post article repoman0 linked), and both are incredibly silly. It's 'there is no legitimate reason to criticize crypto, so anyone who does must be salty.' Now that is an argument worth mocking.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Fortnight NFTs, except such a thing isn't real. A figment of the imagination, if you will:

"NFTs bestow ownership and value!" - The Internet Cryptobros.

I don't know who's more fucking stupid, people that "sell" things that don't exist, or the people that "buy" them.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Have to wonder if the Dogecoin Millionaire is regretting not selling when Doge was at 0.73 cents last year. if he sold his coins, he would had made $3.1m from a $120k investment. Now that its sitting at 7.9990 cents his portfolio isn't looking so hot. IK believe he lost something like 90% of his portfolio since its mostly all doge.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Wow so many Crypto scams/day, it's amazing she can keep up with it all.

I get a kick out of the scam comments on YouTube. It goes soemthing like this...

I'm getting a 2000 ROI and I owe it all to Mary. She takes care of my finances, and I'm easily generating $10k a month. If you want to know more about how you can blah blah...

--And then more people chime in...

Mary? Oh she is an amazing financial advisor who has skyrockeeted my portfolio. I'm easily generating $6k a month passively, and I all it all to blah blah...
Oh, I love Mary. She is one of the best in finances. I am making MILLIONS. If you want to know more, hit up my Snapchat at blah blah.

Its is such a scam. I can't believe that people fall for this stuff. And, what does YouTube do about this? Nothing.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I don't know who's more fucking stupid, people that "sell" things that don't exist, or the people that "buy" them.

Or people that buy fake rings and fake rolex from some con-man at a gas station. Scammers always have existed for the sole reason that dumb people have always existed. Shall I say cash is shit and should be forbidden becasue some idiots pay $200 for a fake $3 china rolex?