The anti-crypto thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
So, if a giant Sun flare engulfed the Earth and all the electricity was cut off completely all over the Earth, how much would Eth and PoS be worth and how would you get to it? That's why I always keep $20 in my wallet and a gold coin in my sock, you never know.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So, if a giant Sun flare engulfed the Earth and all the electricity was cut off completely all over the Earth, how much would Eth and PoS be worth and how would you get to it? That's why I always keep $20 in my wallet and a gold coin in my sock, you never know.

There is truth to this statement.
On the note of viability of the concept of a currency that is determined by your ability to produce power... I mean why stop at coal? Imagine dyson spheres doing nothing but pump out crypto... How many stars are you willing to snuff out in your quest for mooaaaar moooooneeeeey.

Reactions: Tlh97 and GrumpyMan

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
There is truth to this statement.
On the note of viability of the concept of a currency that is determined by your ability to produce power... I mean why stop at coal? Imagine dyson spheres doing nothing but pump out crypto... How many stars are you willing to snuff out in your quest for mooaaaar moooooneeeeey.

Actually, it would seem the best way to extract energy quickly from a star would be to induce a singularity in the star. The resulting implosion type supernova would release a great deal of energy all at once, while eliminating all future output. But who cares about future output? There are lots of stars to nova. We will never run out.

ps: entropy is BS anyway. God gave us this universe to do as we please!

Last edited:

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Actually, it would seem the best way to extract energy quickly from a star would be to induce a singularity in the star. The resulting implosion type supernova would release a great deal of energy all at once, while eliminating all future output. But who cares about future output? There are lots of stars to nova. We will never run out.

ps: entropy is BS anyway. God gave us this universe to do as we please!
Nah. We'll just extract the energy of the black hole itself. Slowly at first and then all at once.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

The $20 and the gold coin would be worth about as much as the crypto. Lead would be worth more, particularly if it's in the shape of a bullet.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
The $20 and the gold coin would be worth about as much as the crypto. Lead would be worth more, particularly if it's in the shape of a bullet.

None of them 'keep value' - in most cases, these things are utterly useless as store of value (crypto in particular) for any real emergency/situation.

Out of curiosity I looked up ETH prices (~$2300 if I got it correct) - that right now in Chicago area is a rent on two bedroom apartment for two months, or a month of rent plus a month of food for five plus a pistol (or rifle) with ammunition to protect loved ones.. if you think in any emergency you can come up and offer to trade your 'digital coin' for anything of that , i don't know what else to say. With gold coin similarly, you get almost nothing (may get a food for dinner out of it as people were trading gold/jewelry for bread many times in history). crypto will get you absolutely nothing.

if you get your 3-S (Shelter , Sustenance, Security) already taken care of and dont see anything that is not diminishing returns, then yea play with whatever you like. As store of value for emergency, stay far away..

Reactions: Leeea and GrumpyMan

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yes of course, bank accounts would also be nil, however the bank account is backed up by FDIC and everyone knows the sun can't destroy our gubernment, I read that on the internet so it must be true.
The only thing I know for sure if something catastrophic like this happened, the first thing everyone would do is run to the store and buy all the toilet paper. ;)

(The more I think about it, I bet they really would). :oops:

Reactions: GrumpyMan

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
you can grow your own food
make your own bullets

but toilet paper? Good quality stuff? I will trade you 3 rolls of charmin for the kid, the horse, the rifle, and 10 sacks of grain.

... you know your going to take the deal.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
you can grow your own food
make your own bullets

but toilet paper? Good quality stuff? I will trade you 3 rolls of charmin for the kid, the horse, the rifle, and 10 sacks of grain.

... you know your going to take the deal.

Forget ETH or Dogecoin, invest in bidets.

In the land of the paperless the man with a warm jet of water is king.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Forget ETH or Dogecoin, invest in bidets.

In the land of the paperless the man with a warm jet of water is king.

Warm? Mine hit's me cold and hard like an arctic supersoaker. I like the direction this thread is moving. I approve fully, although if they let me run things around here I'm afraid the site would devolve into Anandchan or somesuch.

Reactions: bigboxes

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Reactions: moonbogg

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Recycle

7214674-16x9-large.jpg

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Good discussion, a lot here know a lot more than I do about Crypto, but my gut tells me it's a scam, even though I am currently mining my meagre amounts of ETH on 2 - 3 GPUs. My gut also tells me it will eventually be banned by all countries, especially if it starts messing too much with power supplies, market instability, and inflation:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...y-mining-4-months-amid-power-cuts-2021-05-26/

As much as the stock market is overinflated and very dangerous (see 2008), it doesn't swing wildly the way the crypto market does as it is still based on tangible value (companies producing things), even if that value is inflated. The US just needs to get some balls (i.e. repeal Citizen's United and dissolve the electoral college) and regulate it so it doesn't take the whole country down next time it implodes (and it will).

Mining 'profits' (i.e. ETH accumulated by mining reward) is way down from where it was. It's currently less than 1/3 of where it was a month ago, I'm (badly) guessing due to very low gas fees.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
eventually be banned by all countries, especially if it starts messing too much with power supplies, market instability, and inflation:

nah im waiting for a nuke threat and ransom in Bitcoins something simular to this:

once terrorism and national security gets involved, you can kiss bitcoins bye bye for sure.

Even the hackers now are trying to hide under a dark stone hoping the US won't catch them.

lol... but watch... some idiot or other govern. backed institution will push one step hard and make them realize, when US goes after countries, we follow almost no rules to get stuff done.

Last edited: