The anti-crypto thread

Page 131 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
You mean someone's password was guessed/stolen.
As in methods now exist for personal crypto held in personal wallets (secure, offline, backed up, etc.) can be stolen because the keys assigned to your crypto were not random. So far, this only applies to some keys, but over time more and more exploits will be found and used.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Now if someone guessed my bank accounts password I know that would be considered fraud and I would get my money back fairly promptly.
What happens to a crypto wallet gets accessed?
You lose everything. That's part of the whole decentralized gig.

As in methods now exist for personal crypto held in personal wallets (secure, offline, backed up, etc.) can be stolen because the keys assigned to your crypto were not random. So far, this only applies to some keys, but over time more and more exploits will be found and used.

It has always been like that. Always. Once they have the keys you = ded.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Since Crypto is only for reasonable people and normal uses, and nothing to do with criminal activity, this seems like an odd thing for someone to do:

Why hack the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission's X account simply to post that they approved ETFs that track crypto? That just seems odd for something that is otherwise totally legit. :rolleyes:

That is, unless someone wanted to add to the growing number of ways to use crypto to scam people out of actual money.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The SEC has rejected spot Bitcoin ETFs before over fears of market manipulation.

Now there is market manipulation on the price of Bitcoin over a fake tweet from the SEC Twitter account announcing the approval of spot Bitcoin ETFs.

So many levels of absurd irony.

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
hey, apparently when I was growing up my family really had created a government! always learning something new on the internet! when I was playing sports with rules we all agreed upon, we were playing government soccer! wow life makes so much more sense now!
Sports orgs are often called "governing bodies."

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Since Crypto is only for reasonable people and normal uses, and nothing to do with criminal activity, this seems like an odd thing for someone to do:

Why hack the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission's X account simply to post that they approved ETFs that track crypto? That just seems odd for something that is otherwise totally legit. :rolleyes:

That is, unless someone wanted to add to the growing number of ways to use crypto to scam people out of actual money.
Umm, because greed. Have you never heard of pump and dump for stocks?

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

INSIDER ON BENCOIN
The more I come across this guy and read about him the more I detest him.

He's real scum. The drugs, his divorce, greed, and the general way he treats people are just downright awful.

He still has a loyal following somehow. One that actually gives him money to pay for his many legal fees. Crazy!

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Vanguards stance on Bitcoin ETFs.

Our perspective is that these products do not align with our offer focused on asset classes such as equities, bonds, and cash, which Vanguard views as the building blocks of a well-balanced, long-term investment portfolio

and

While we continuously evaluate our brokerage offer and evaluate new product entries to the market, spot Bitcoin ETFs will not be available for purchase on the Vanguard platform. We also have no plans to offer Vanguard Bitcoin ETFs or other crypto-related product

Love these guys.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I personally think the ETFs are kinda silly, I just don't see them as worthwhile to the infrastructure. They are basically fake coins, you don't actually control them to my understanding. I think it is more of a way to get lay people into crytpo, and to increase the price of coins for existing whales so they take profit.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I personally think the ETFs are kinda silly, I just don't see them as worthwhile to the infrastructure. They are basically fake coins, you don't actually control them to my understanding. I think it is more of a way to get lay people into crytpo, and to increase the price of coins for existing whales so they take profit.
Judging by how the crypto markets have reacted, those whales are taking their profits early.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
Crypto tech is certainly used for criminal activities just like any other set of monetary tools. I suppose it's good to focus on criminal activity in the crypto world. Should this be done at the expense of ignoring corrupt/criminal practices with non-crpyto financial tools? What is the benefit of being in a tribe that just hates anything crypto? What do you get out of it?

Feb 4, 2009
Crypto tech is certainly used for criminal activities just like any other set of monetary tools. I suppose it's good to focus on criminal activity in the crypto world. Should this be done at the expense of ignoring corrupt/criminal practices with non-crpyto financial tools? What is the benefit of being in a tribe that just hates anything crypto? What do you get out of it?
Whom is ignoring non crypto based crime?

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's basically a support group for having missed out on life changing choices. Same as the anti-AI thread.
Still going with that schtick?

Sure, I missed out on a speculative highly volatile asset that has little to no intrinsic value to instead use my money wisely by investing in stock market equities backed by tangible goods and services.

I feel so left out.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Crypto tech is certainly used for criminal activities just like any other set of monetary tools.
The scale is so vastly different, that you can't ignore that. Crypto legitimate uses are negligible compared to their criminal uses. That isn't true with almost any real money. In fact, it is the exact opposite where legitimate dollar uses completely dominate the crimimal uses.
I suppose it's good to focus on criminal activity in the crypto world. Should this be done at the expense of ignoring corrupt/criminal practices with non-crpyto financial tools?
Some people and some entities actually have the ability to do both.
What is the benefit of being in a tribe that just hates anything crypto? What do you get out of it?
I like my fellow ATOT posters and want to help keep them well-off. That includes warning about their mistakes in crypto.

Reactions: Zorba

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Crypto tech is certainly used for criminal activities just like any other set of monetary tools.
The scale is so vastly different, that you can't ignore that. Crypto legitimate uses are negligible compared to their criminal uses. That isn't true with almost any real money. The fact that a horde of people is necessary to defend crypto and their pitiful attempt to find any tiny shreds of significant legitimate use is just one more drop in the bucket of evidence against crypto. If crypto was legitimate, it wouldn't need defending and crypto users would accept and acknowledge criticisms of crypto.
I suppose it's good to focus on criminal activity in the crypto world. Should this be done at the expense of ignoring corrupt/criminal practices with non-crpyto financial tools?
Some people and some entities actually have the ability to do both. I can see why anyone into crypto doesn't understand that though.
What is the benefit of being in a tribe that just hates anything crypto? What do you get out of it?
I like my fellow ATOT posters and want to help keep them well-off. That includes warning about their mistakes in crypto. I've been posting investing advice since long before crypto and will continue to do so well after crypto is just a long-ago dream gone bad.

Last edited: