The anti-crypto thread

Page 113 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Even the Russian Ruble didn't crash that bad

"Crypto resists inflation and political instability and maintains its value!" -internet cryptobros

Nov 17, 2019
^^ Russian? Did you say Russian?

Justice Dept. charges Russian founder of cryptocurrency firm

abcnews.go.com.ico
ABC|2 hours ago
A Russian national who founded a cryptocurrency exchange the Justice Department says evaded U.S. regulations and became a haven for proceeds of criminal activity has been arrested ...

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
btc is now $21k?!?
it bottomed last week.
buy buy buy!

(then crash again pretty quickly so i can get in at my $10k price point.
k.thx.bye)

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Nexos agrees to pay $45M to settle SEC and state regulator investigations. Apparently their Bulgarian offices were raided under suspicion of money laundering and tax crimes

1674218244336.jpeg

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Man all these crypto scams falling apart. Well at least the house of cards are collapsing in on just themselves. Wait....they were doing what with whom? Goddamnit...

Two of the biggest banks to cryptocurrency companies are rushing to stem a flood of customer withdrawals by borrowing billions of dollars from Federal Home Loan Banks, the system originally designed to support mortgage lending in the 1930s.

Signature Bank tapped its local home-loan bank for nearly $10 billion in the fourth quarter, among the largest such borrowings by any bank since early 2020, according to securities filings. Silvergate Capital Corp., a competing lender that shifted its business toward crypto a decade ago, received at least $3.6 billion.

The borrowings at Signature—a commercial bank mostly known for multifamily real-estate lending before hitching onto the crypto craze—are more than double its previous highest sum in several years. Silvergate, meanwhile, didn’t have any home-loan bank borrowings a year earlier.

I thought this was interesting - so bad news for individuals as FDIC won't mean squat if things get bad enough in a bankruptcy
FHLB lending to crypto-exposed banks threatens to amplify that risk. Home-loan bank advances are superior to all other debt, meaning that in the event of a member bank’s bankruptcy, an FHLB bank would be first in the collection pecking order, even ahead of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I sometimes toy with starting an exchange, it seems all the mainstream ones go corrupt after a while. I don't really know enough about how crypto works to do it though nor do I have the startup capital. Kinda need to know crypto inside out to run one properly, and not just how it works but the code and such too to implement it at a code level. Not the type of thing you want to mess up as large sums of money could be involved. You also need a hosting provider that accepts crypto, as you will end up with lot of crypto instead of cash as most people are probably exchanging crypto for cash and not the other way around so need a way to keep the bills paid. I think that's why lot of these end up going corrupt as they run out of cash flow and need to figure out what to do with all the crypto they have to try to get cash.

Crypto was suppose to be a currency but it turned more into an investment instrument, I think that's the main issue with it really. The fees and complexity also make it less suitable for average joes to use for every day purchases. If someone came up with a crypto that has zero fees and is super easy to use I could see it perhaps take off. Needs to be easy for a store to implement too.

It's a matter of time until the world government comes up with a crypto that we all use but since it would be government backed all the banks would also start to use it, so you'd end up getting a banking card for it and it would be like using regular cash except there would be no cash. I personally don't know if I like that idea but I think it's coming.

Jul 27, 2020
It's a matter of time until the world government comes up with a crypto that we all use but since it would be government backed all the banks would also start to use it, so you'd end up getting a banking card for it and it would be like using regular cash except there would be no cash. I personally don't know if I like that idea but I think it's coming.
Yep. Central Bank server crash. Data lost. Whole country is poor now.

We can never rely on digital currency. Fiat will always need to be there, when the power goes out or natural calamities wreak havoc on a populace.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Seems legit...

So it's been 6 years since since she disappeared. How hard is it to find a "snitch" and tell the FBI where she is hiding. :confused:

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Not only are miners defrauding fiat and power grids, now they're defrauding second hand GPU sales.

These are good people, yo. Good people. All they care about is the betterment of humanity! o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Meghan54