The AI discussion thread

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
humanity couldn't even handle social media without breaking, what makes anyone think we will handle AI any better?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
humanity couldn't even handle social media without breaking, what makes anyone think we will handle AI any better?
We haven't broken. Is there a lot that needs to be fixed? You know I think there is. Humanity has been moving from crisis to crisis for our entire existence. We always figure it out, and even if this time happens to be the crisis combination we can't figure out, then we either go extinct or future generations eventually figure it out.

Mar 11, 2004
100% AI generated. The future of video games & movies is gonna be WILD!

View attachment 87465

View attachment 87468

View attachment 87471

Yeah the Bad Dragon dating sims (aka Skyrim 2) will really please the weirdos that wanna fuck dragon dicks...and apparently Cooking Mama (or diarrhea shit on cream cheese simulator?) is gonna be the new Crysis.

cant wait to see the first major AI photo-realistic movie

Couldn't be worse than Star Wars at this point. Actually they should just make an AI, trained on R2-D2's blips to make Star Wars from R2-D2's perspective. Bet it would look cooler and be less annoying.

We haven't broken. Is there a lot that needs to be fixed? You know I think there is. Humanity has been moving from crisis to crisis for our entire existence. We always figure it out, and even if this time happens to be the crisis combination we can't figure out, then we either go extinct or future generations eventually figure it out.

I don't think its that we figured it out so much as sometimes people become such enormous assholes it literally requires half the rest of the world to get together to tell them to fuck off. Otherwise we'll gladly sit and boil ourselves while half of us decides to stick their fingers in their ears and spontaneously trip balls such that they decide they'd rather just imagine some version of reality that is weirdly even shittier but in ways that are even more fucked up, and the other half is doomscrolling pointless content to keep their brains from thinking too much.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004

It could be that AI lets the people that want to live in their weird shitty pedophile controlled fantasy land their wish so they can exist in a digital version of that and stop fucking things up for everyone else.

I actually expect that to be the most likely outcome, AI basically treats us humans like zoo animals in order to study us and try to figure out how the fuck people manage to put their pants on whilst the logic part of their brains goes haywire and lets them believe in banananananananas conspiracy garbage.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
View attachment 87954

Wonder how long it would have taken someone to create this 10yrs ago? 5yrs ago??

So I got into airbrushing back in high school in the late 90's & would do stuff like this. You'd have to do masking, color changes, wait for the pain to dry, etc. You could easily spend weeks or months working on one project or making a bunch of rough drafts to figure out the final design you wanted to create. I then moved into digital art (CGI with POV-RAY, Caligri TruSpace, etc. & digital editing with Photoshop, Wacom tablets, and so on).

AI is both horrifying & liberating to me as an artist. On one hand, it's complete & utter cheating lol. On the other hand, the nerd side of me LOVES the efficiency & speed! We're just on the cusp of having a slew of really amazing control tools that will let ANYONE create & tweak an image, video, song, speech, essay, book, etc. to perfection. I struggle heavily with executive function, so things like the motivation to get started & sustain effort, to work through the steps of figuring out an idea or technique, are sometimes EXTREMELY elusive for my poor, tired brain, and AI lets me directly connect to the idea to generate outputs for various purposes, whether it's a piece of artwork or a Powerpoint cover image or whatever it may be!

People are already using AI in the real world to do all KINDS of crazy stuff! One of my buddy's friends does a specific type of specialized training. He took 700+ pages of notes from the last 20 years, fed it into an AI, and it wrote a book for him, which he then published! You can't even tell because it doesn't sound like an AI nonsense article...it basically became his personal book editor, which he then tweaked & modified to create a book in a matter of weeks, not years!

Yesterday, one of my friends mentioned that they needed to write up a new rental agreement for their rental house for their upcoming tenants. I introduced them to the simple & free ChatGPT app for smartphones. They fed in specs into a chat conversation, which included:

* A housing rental agreement
* Our state for specific policies
* What they're on the hook for paying for (utilities, oil, etc.)
* They're they're allowed to do & not do
* Pet policy
* Special policies (ex. have to refill the oil tank at 1/4 tank)

Within 30 seconds, it generated an AMAZING 5-page legal agreement, which they're taking to their lawyer to do a final review on! They were BLOWN AWAY that they didn't have to spend huge amounts of time & effort on the tedious work of writing up all of the legalese! I have friends using AI to automate processes in everything from website design to real estate listings! My goal has simply been to keep my finger on the pulse of what's new & exciting in the world of rapid AI development because I think mastering things like prompt engineering, knowing what tools are available & how to use them, etc. is going to be HUGELY beneficial in the future!

Plus, you can generate & create things that would take huge amounts of skill & time, like this:

And while we're still in the VERY early stages of video generation, I think the animation & anime world are going to see HUGE level-ups in quality & the ability for small indie groups to output some SUPER high-quality films in the future! Things look so promising:

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Hoping Ai somehow lowers the ridiculous 6% fee for selling a house