The Affordable Care Act on the one year anniversary of the Patient’s Bill of Rights

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
All I have seen so far is increase in the cost of healthcare and everything else under the sun.

Just the facts.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
All I have seen so far is increase in the cost of healthcare and everything else under the sun.

Just the facts.

I heard the price of conjugal visits is going up to. Better get the gubment on that one before its too late. Prison costs are already way to high.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Tort reform, to a loser pays system, would eliminate frivolous lawsuits. This would in no way limit any citizen from redress of grievances against medical malpractice. The advantage would be lower costs and fewer unnecessary law suits clogging our courts.

it'd also eliminate a lot of non-frivolous lawsuits. probably more non-frivolous lawsuits than frivolous ones.

It has been done in states to no effect already.
has there been a difference in differences study done on it? i see claims like 'costs continued to go up' but that's looking at things in a vacuum.

texas did have so many new docs moving from other states that the licensing board couldn't process through all the applications. so there's a benefit.

Last edited:

DirthNader

Mar 21, 2005
If you had a fvcking brain you'd understand that one of the major drivers causing the rise in health care costs is demand. And when people are insulated from health care costs - by employer-subsidized premiums, by low deductibles, and by FSA plans - demand goes up.

I'm curious, did you intend to leave out Medicare as a factor insulating people from health care costs?

My area is thick with retirees. A visit to the doctor and I'm typically the only one in the office under 65. Consequently, the doctors have no idea how much they'll bill for service. Being on a high deductible plan with no copay, it's extremely frustrating. Typically I can't get anyone to give me a solid cost until after I've been treated.

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
250K is what is billed to insurance co. your niece would not be expected to pay 250K.

the second the hospital finds out she has no insurance and has to pay out of her pocket, they would settle for dimes on the dollar if your niece told them her situation. the 250K price tag is the insurance company's inflated rate.

everyone knows this.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
250K is what is billed to insurance co. your niece would not be expected to pay 250K.

the second the hospital finds out she has no insurance and has to pay out of her pocket, they would settle for dimes on the dollar if your niece told them her situation. the 250K price tag is the insurance company's inflated rate.

everyone knows this.

You got that ass backwards buddy...people who have Insurance get MUCH better rates because the Insurance companies tell the Hospital to fuck off and they are only going to pay so much for a said service.

People who have no insurance get REAMED and if they cannot pay then they get SUED. Then when that person files bankruptcy they pass those costs over to everyone else.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
If she owes 250K in medical bills, she doesnt have a problem, the people who she owes have a problem.

And what state does she live in?

and so they raise the prices on the people who have health insurance? Thats the old way. Hurr durr

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

everyone knows this.

lol. dimes on the dollar? Sorry dude it doesnt work that way.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sure, because the cost of healthcare wasn't going up before the bill was passed...

Yeah to bad they don't have enough brains to realize this fact.

Health insurance costs are rising faster than wages or inflation,[34] and medical causes were cited by about half of bankruptcy filers in the United States in 2001.[35]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_the_United_States

Every rabid Right Winger in here should thoroughly read that link ;)

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
You got that ass backwards buddy...people who have Insurance get MUCH better rates because the Insurance companies tell the Hospital to fuck off and they are only going to pay so much for a said service.

People who have no insurance get REAMED and if they cannot pay then they get SUED. Then when that person files bankruptcy they pass those costs over to everyone else.

so why do the hospital gotta keep raising prices? because the hospital knows the ins. company tells them to fuck off and were only going to pay fifty cents on the dollar for a service.

so if the hospital raises the prices to double, they get their initial asking price they wanted the ins. company to pay. these increases happen every year.

the hospital knows that the prices of its services are artificially high and will commonly give a break to those without insurance. the hospital would be more interested in getting a fair price that someone can be expected to pay rather than a hyper-inflated insurance quote.

your thought of the insurance company's customers getting a 'good' rate because its the company's employees are 'fighting' for it is lulzy at best. they are being gamed by the hospitals and they're along for the ride because the entire HC industry profits from it.

obamacare is yet another program designed to get you (the population) dependent on the government.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
so why do the hospital gotta keep raising prices? because the hospital knows the ins. company tells them to fuck off and were only going to pay fifty cents on the dollar for a service.

so if the hospital raises the prices to double, they get their initial asking price they wanted the ins. company to pay. these increases happen every year.

the hospital knows that the prices of its services are artificially high and will commonly give a break to those without insurance. the hospital would be more interested in getting a fair price that someone can be expected to pay rather than a hyper-inflated insurance quote.

your thought of the insurance company's customers getting a 'good' rate because its the company's employees are 'fighting' for it is lulzy at best. they are being gamed by the hospitals and they're along for the ride because the entire HC industry profits from it.

obamacare is yet another program designed to get you (the population) dependent on the government.

Dude you obviously don't understand the power of big insurance and Healthcare for profit.

I would explain more but I have to run maybe someone here can enlighten you on reality.

Read This

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Dude you obviously don't understand the power of big insurance and Healthcare for profit.

I would explain more but I have to run maybe someone here can enlighten you on reality.

Read This

so you believe that placing this nasty, corrupt, power (the HC + ins indsutry) in the hands of the big Govt (with its own reputation, and track record) will be any better? new rules, patients still lose.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
so you believe that placing this nasty, corrupt, power (the HC + ins indsutry) in the hands of the big Govt (with its own reputation, and track record) will be any better? new rules, patients still lose.

what is your background to make such a sweeping statement?

Government regulation isnt always bad and we can look at many countries on this planet that have sensible healthcare policies. All of them are single payer.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
BoboCare is going to ruin this country. It needs to be done away with, and soon.

What we need is Insurance reform in the way of making insurance more competitive.

We need more doctors and health care workers.

We need tort reform.

We DON'T need the federal government trying to run the health care system.

Is this model implemented anywhere in the world?