The Affordable Care Act on the one year anniversary of the Patient’s Bill of Rights

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Why wouldn't it be her problem are you claiming she would Welch on her bills?

Why are you harping on finding out what state she lives in ? Are there States that allow people to not pay their Medical obligations?

States have funds to pay for indigent people's medical bills, so if she can't pay them they will likely be paid for her. It's a form of socialized medicine already, it's just a really dumb form of it.

If she DOES have any money/assets/whatever however, she won't qualify for this assistance until she sells basically all of her assets outside of the essentials to pay them. If she chooses not to, she will be sued for that cash and the hospital will win.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
BoboCare is going to ruin this country. It needs to be done away with, and soon.

What we need is Insurance reform in the way of making insurance more competitive.

We need more doctors and health care workers.

We need tort reform.

We DON'T need the federal government trying to run the health care system.

Tort Reform? LMAO Thx for the Rightwing regurgitation.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
States have funds to pay for indigent people's medical bills, so if she can't pay them they will likely be paid for her. It's a form of socialized medicine already, it's just a really dumb form of it.

If she DOES have any money/assets/whatever however, she won't qualify for this assistance until she sells basically all of her assets outside of the essentials to pay them. If she chooses not to, she will be sued for that cash and the hospital will win.

It pisses me off that his asshole question automatically insinuates that she would stoop low enough to dump her obligations off on someone else that girl has WAY to much character for that. I found it highly insulting.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I am thinking, I am reading what you typed. You said you would die if you changed jobs. Now you are saying that you would just be financially ruined if you had done so. Got news for you, my mother is a cancer survivor as well. She is bankrupt and still paying for treatment nearly 10 years later. Your arguments are falling on deaf ears here.

I seemed to know a lot of nothing about a lot I do know much about. Not everyone is as ignorance as you liberals you know.

You clearly aren't reading. I said I would face financial ruin and/or death. How did you miss this or not comprehend it? Also, if your mom is bankrupt, why is she paying for treatment, and how does her experience not prove my point?

You clearly don't know what you're talking about or else you wouldn't have referred to cancer treatments as emergency care that everyone could get. There are lots of situations where that isn't true. So you don't read what I write, then you make false statements in a pathetic attempt to 'get' liberal positions on health care.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Tort Reform? LMAO Thx for the Rightwing regurgitation.

Why is Tort Reform a "right" wing issue? Besides, I was espousing on tort reform before the so called right wing was. Maybe they got the idea from me.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Funny how liberals parade around and tout their precious "Patient's Bill of Rights" while at the same time wiping their asses with the actual Bill of Rights. If you followed the ladder, you wouldn't need any of this other garbage.

LMAO..wiping our asses with Bill of Rights? In that case it would be recycled from the Republicans who used it first.

Last edited:

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
It pisses me off that his asshole question automatically insinuates that she would stoop low enough to dump her obligations off on someone else that girl has WAY to much character for that. I found it highly insulting.

But she doesn't care, it would seem, that someone else pays for for medical bills. Actually the federal government foced someone else to pay her bills. Also, it would seem you you and your sister would be advocating private insurance vice government care. At least that part I agree with you two.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why is Tort Reform a "right" wing issue? Besides, I was espousing on tort reform before the so called right wing was. Maybe they got the idea from me.

Every 3 word from every Right Wing pundit I followed during the Health care debate (if you call it that) was Tort Reform.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Why wouldn't it be her problem are you claiming she would Welch on her bills?

Why are you harping on finding out what state she lives in ? Are there States that allow people to not pay their Medical obligations?

Because often states have insurance programs she can get on.

Of course she can welch on her bills. That is why I scoffed at the idea a 23 year old without any wealth would be put in financial ruin. You cant be put into ruin if you have nothing to lose.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Why is it insulting? Your OP was happy she was able to dump her obligations onto somebody else(other premium payers) by staying on her parents insurance.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Because often states have insurance programs she can get on.

Of course she can welch on her bills. That is why I scoffed at the idea a 23 year old without any wealth would be put in financial ruin. You cant be put into ruin if you have nothing to lose.

She would welch on her bills she has something called pride plus she has a family that believes in helping each other out.

You can be put in a financial predicament if you don't automatically assume that she would not take responsibility for her own bills yes I could see that point but like I said you obviously must not know anyone with character.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why is it insulting? Your OP was happy she was able to dump her obligations onto somebody else(other premium payers) by staying on her parents insurance.

Did I say she was happy? I don't see it listed up there....I guess you assumed then yet again. Feel free to GTFO and shit on someone else's thread ;)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
She would welch on her bills she has something called pride plus she has a family that believes in helping each other out.

You can be put in a financial predicament if you don't automatically assume that she would not take responsibility for her own bills yes I could see that point but like I said you obviously must not know anyone with character.

I didnt advocate she do it. Only somebody at 23 has options people older and more established dont.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Did I say she was happy? I don't see it listed up there....I guess you assumed then yet again.

When I said OP, that means original post. In your original post you were conveying a message of being happy she was able to dump her obligations onto other premium payers via this legislation because she was able to stay on her parents plan. So why is it insulting when I say she has an option to dump her obligations via walking from the debt? You are happy she is able to do something similar within the insurance plan.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
When I said OP, that means original post. In your original post you were conveying a message of being happy she was able to dump her obligations onto other premium payers via this legislation because she was able to stay on her parents plan. So why is it insulting when I say she has an option to dump her obligations via walking from the debt? You are happy she is able to do something similar within the insurance plan.

If I was happy does that make her happy? You are assuming and twisting my words please move on.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And why not tort reform?

You are attempting to limit American citizens' fundamental right to seek redress for wrongs committed to them because you think it is making our health care system too expensive when in reality torts and related costs comprise an exceedingly small percentage of our health care expenditures.

It's bad on the cost/benefit analysis.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Ausm, Your statements are confusing. Please, answer one simple question for me to get me back on topic: Do you favor private insurance for health care or government provided health care?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
And why not tort reform?

Because I believe the saving would been a drop in the bucket at best.

http://washingtonindependent.com/55535/tort-reform-unlikely-to-cut-health-care-costs

A lot of people seem to have taken up the cause of tort reform. Why isn’t it included in the health care legislation pending on Capitol Hill?

A.
Because it’s a red herring. It’s become a talking point for those who want to obstruct change. But [tort reform] doesn’t accomplish the goal of bringing down costs.

Q.
Why not?

A.
As the cost of health care goes up, the medical liability component of it has stayed fairly constant. That means it’s part of the medical price inflation system, but it’s not driving it. The number of claims is small relative to actual cases of medical malpractice.

http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/31/would-tort-reform-lower-health-care-costs/

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
If I was happy does that make her happy? You are assuming and twisting my words please move on.

What the hell does it matter if she is happy? I could care less and have never said I did care about her happyness. I am asking why you think it is insulting for me to say she has an option to dump her medical obligations while you are applauding she was able to do something similar onto premium payers.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You are attempting to limit American citizens' fundamental right to seek redress for wrongs committed to them because you think it is making our health care system too expensive when in reality torts and related costs comprise an exceedingly small percentage of our health care expenditures.

It's bad on the cost/benefit analysis.

I am on your side of the fence here. Tort reform hasnt been shown to truely help reduce costs much at all and limits the ability of the consumer to seek a financial judgement if they are harmed.