The $8800 desktop (no monitor for this bargain)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aganack1

May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: Pariah
Anyone seen this company? I'd give the name, but it is a symbol, that isn't on the keyboard.

Its an "L". You may have missed that day of Cursive in elementary school. That is why their web site is www.go-L.com

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
you'd have to be rich AND stupid to buy one of those things...but i guess they found a market full of stupid rich people.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Sunny129
you'd have to be rich AND stupid to buy one of those things...but i guess they found a market full of stupid rich people.

The case alone is over $1000(not counting the LCD screen on it). 4GB of ECC DDR533 is going to be atleast $2000, if not more. 1terebyte is atleast $1000, thats half the cost right there. Add in a P4 EE and motherboard, another $1000, up to $5000. Video card, DVD Burner, close to another grand, up to $6000. Add in all the other parts, the cost of the machine if you built it yourself would likely be in the $7250 range. And the cost on the website says $7799, not $8799.

And those "notebooks" are mobile desktops, meant for people that need a full powered PC that can be moved with ease.

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: GaryShandling
PureRam technology? Does that mean the ram is filtered for impurities?

No it means, that they did SiSoftSandra Memory Benchmark for 30 minutes to see if the system crashed and called it PureRam. :p

-Pure

GnomeCop

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2002
yeah, even the crappiest system on that site is quite a kick in the pants.
not for everyone, but definitely for people who don't care about taking shots at their intellect because of envy.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: PorBleemo
Originally posted by: GaryShandling
PureRam technology? Does that mean the ram is filtered for impurities?

No it means, that they did SiSoftSandra Memory Benchmark for 30 minutes to see if the system crashed and called it PureRam. :p

-Pure

Actually it means that the OS, system files and program files are on a RAM disk, not a HDD, and that you can also just have RAM and NO HDD, thus the name 'PuRAM", as in its purely ram and no HDDs.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
There is a post about this on Hardforums as well, I believe up to four pages last time I looked. Everyone had pretty much the same opinions as here, including the Apple clone website design :)

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: PanzerIV
There is a post about this on Hardforums as well, I believe up to four pages last time I looked. Everyone had pretty much the same opinions as here, including the Apple clone website design :)

Yeah I first thought fake too, still do, but all the technology they have listed is actually avalible. If it is a fake, someone went through alot of trouble researching, then actually doing it, and then they failed to cover their tracks.

You can actually build a system like that.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
Those first two lappies look a helluva lot like sagers that have been rebadged.

The last one looks an awful lot like the Apple Powerbook 17"

GnomeCop

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2002
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
Those first two lappies look a helluva lot like sagers that have been rebadged.

The last one looks an awful lot like the Apple Powerbook 17"

too bad it doesnt have a slot drive for cd/dvds :(

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: PanzerIV

Yeah I first thought fake too, still do, but all the technology they have listed is actually avalible. If it is a fake, someone went through alot of trouble researching, then actually doing it, and then they failed to cover their tracks.

You can actually build a system like that.

I think it's real but outrageously priced is all. Truly for those with too much money and not enough to do with it. That leaves me out! :D

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Man you guys are gullible.
rolleye.gif

I'll repeat my post about this from another thread:

I guess you don't realize you're defending a site which "sells" laptops with 2048x1536 15" screens, and which uses Mac Finder logos to advertise its Windows hardware technology.

Most of the photos on there are generic or stolen ones too. That laptop I linked is a Sager and there's all sorts of stock photos on there. In fact, the whole site is a direct knockoff of Apple's website.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Eug
Man you guys are gullible.
rolleye.gif

I'll repeat my post about this from another thread:

I guess you don't realize you're defending a site which "sells" laptops with 2048x1536 15" screens, and which uses Mac Finder logos to advertise its Windows hardware technology.

Most of the photos on there are generic or stolen ones too. That laptop I linked is a Sager and there's all sorts of stock photos on there. In fact, the whole site is a direct knockoff of Apple's website.

All the technology they listed is in fact very real, although poorly worded on their part. But yes its fake. Although I have no clue why someone would gather up all the information and pictures to do that. I mean I could spec out a computer that has all the listed base parts.

Well you cant actually get a P4 EE quite yet, but a P4 EE 3.2/3.4 should be able to OC to 3.8 heck with a VapoChill system, you could possibly OC it to over 4Ghz.

And this whole AI stuff, it just "smart" hardware, there various manufactures that use the term AI. Dont think 3com uses the term, but they do have similar "smart" hardware.

As for the PCI bus expander. They are heavily used in audio. All high end DigiDesign Pro Tool setups use PCI bus expanders, and yes you CAN daisy chain them.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
digitalsm, you're stretching here. Most of the stuff on the site exists, but not all of it, and if you start actually reading the site you'll see all the problems with it. You may know it's fake, but it's obvious that most of the members in this thread do not.

As for stuff on the site which does not exist, check out the 15" 2048x1536 laptop screens.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
digitalsm, you're stretching here. Most of the stuff on the site exists, but not all of it, and if you start actually reading the site you'll see all the problems with it. You may know it's fake, but it's obvious that most of the members in this thread do not.

As for stuff on the site which does not exist, check out the 15" 2048x1536 laptop screens.

This does appear to be a fake.

However almost everything, if not everything listed in that L 3.8 Extreme exsists, in some form, although its not called what this website is calling it. One could say thats its real but the website is just poorly worded. If you notice all laptops say 2048x1536 is supported, via an external monitor. This "laptop" on this site says 2048x1536 or 1600x1200, one could say its just poorly worded.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000

However almost everything, if not everything listed in that L 3.8 Extreme exsists, in some form, although its not called what this website is calling it. One could say thats its real but the website is just poorly worded. If you notice all laptops say 2048x1536 is supported, via an external monitor. This "laptop" on this site says 2048x1536 or 1600x1200, one could say its just poorly worded.
No, they're quite specific about at 15" laptop LCD being 2048x1536 --> :camera:.

Sorry guys, you'll just have to build your own $8800 (wet) dream machine.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003

No, they're quite specific about it --> :camera:.

Sorry guys, you'll just have to build your own $8800 dream machine.

Yeah I was just digging they claim to have the first 15" QXGA Notebook, that title actually already goes to NEC, NEC added a 15" 2048x1536 over a year ago.

SVGA notebooks being phased out in 2003, QXGA expected to be a niche market, expected to be 3% of all notebooks sales by 2004.

In fact I just figured out who makes these notebooks listed on this websites, its becoming more and more plausible, unless its an elaborate hoax involving many fraudelant websites.

There is a company called Eurocom, based out of Canada(.ca?), it as well as Sager, both companies rebadge Clevo Computers. However Eurocom offers FULLY upgradable desktop replacement notebooks. Low and behold, yes Clevo does manufacture 15" QXGA notebooks.

Hmmmm.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
NEC added a 15" 2048x1536 over a year ago.
Yeah, it's the NEC Versa Pro. Too bad the laptop in the picture is a Sager. Sager has never made a QXGA laptop.

Anyways, we both agree the site is a fake. Hopefully this is just a joke. Unfortunately, this could also be a scam. Are you determined to convince somebody to get scammed out of his money? ;)

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
NEC added a 15" 2048x1536 over a year ago.
Yeah, it's the NEC Versa Pro. Too bad the laptop in the picture is a Sager. Sager has never made a QXGA laptop.

Anyways, we both agree the site is a fake. Hopefully this is just a joke. Unfortunately, this could also be a scam. Are you determined to convince somebody to get scammed out of his money? ;)

Sager and Eurocom, to major notebook players, both rebadge Clevo notebooks. Every notebook/tablet PC on www.go-l.com is exactly the same as Clevo/Eurocom/Sager. I still think its bogus, but its could very well be legit. Everything on that site is perfectly plausible. Its either a really elaborate WELL researched hoax, done by morons that left a paper trail miles upon miles long, or its legit.

Eurocom

Oh and Clevo is on their list of corprate parteners.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Sager and Eurocom, to major notebook players, both rebadge Clevo notebooks. Every notebook/tablet PC on www.go-l.com is exactly the same as Clevo/Eurocom/Sager. I still think its bogus, but its could very well be legit.
I'll give you that... Clevo could technically spec a QXGA screen for a 3rd party, even if Sager has never had one.

Nonetheless, after perusing the site, anybody giving them money would have to be out of their minds. This reminds me of a scam a while back where similar stock photos were used, for a fairly professional looking site.

They DID actually ship a few machines, but probably less than 10% of all the orders, before they took the money and ran.

The ironic part is that the other scam site had way less spelling mistakes than this one does, and didn't directly steal the pictures and site design from other companies.

ie. First I thought it was just a joke, but the more I think about it, it's smelling of a scam.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Sager and Eurocom, to major notebook players, both rebadge Clevo notebooks. Every notebook/tablet PC on www.go-l.com is exactly the same as Clevo/Eurocom/Sager. I still think its bogus, but its could very well be legit.
I'll give you that... Clevo could technically spec a QXGA screen for a 3rd party, even if Sager has never had one.

Nonetheless, after perusing the site, anybody giving them money would have to be out of their minds. This reminds me of a scam a while back where similar stock photos were used, for a fairly professional looking site.

They DID actually ship a few machines, but probably less than 10% of all the orders, before they took the money and ran.

The ironic part is that the other scam site had way less spelling mistakes than this one does, and didn't directly steal the pictures and site design from other companies.

ie. First I thought it was just a joke, but the more I think about it, it's smelling of a scam.

It could be a scam, but it would be a poorly done one. And one that they have gone through a lot of trouble to do. They have filed with everyone they needed to file with. That = money, and paper trails miles long.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
It could be a scam, but it would be a poorly done one. And one that they have gone through a lot of trouble to do. They have filed with everyone they needed to file with. That = money, and paper trails miles long.
Not really. This has happened many times before.

Yeah, more and more I'm thinking scam, not just hoax:

"About" takes you to:

Liebermann Inc.
8726 Sepulveda Blvd., Suite B-161
Los Angeles, CA 90045

Anyone around there to check?

URL Corporate: www.liebermann-corp.com has a splash screen, but no content: http://www.liebermann-corp.com/home/index.htm

All other contact info is either the telepone number or www.go-l.com

Miguel Liebermann is supposedly the founder and a famous Hollywood director of Coca-Cola commercials, but I can't find a reference to him anywhere.

"History" gives you:

In December 1999, Hollywood Commercial Film Director Miguel Liebermann is invited to shoot the last Coca-Cola TV commercial of the 20th Century to be aired one minute before midnight the 31st. Pre-production starts just 76 hours before that. Shot in Barcelona, Spain with a limited 250,000 Dollars budget, and incomplete crew, in progress casting, and no time left allocated for post-production the director opts for cutting it directly on location while shooting using his faithful Apple PowerBook laptop and Adobe Premier.

Frustrated by limited computing performance and quickly running out of time, the spot gets final cut amazingly just 10 minutes before being aired. It went on to become the most watched and talked about commercial of the year, and the award-winning director promises himself to find a better solution for on-location computer based editing for future projects.

(Errors kept intact. I didn't type the rest.)