the $60 question Dead Space 2 PC controls

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Unlike most others, I play NFS: Shift and GRID with a keyboard and mouse without any issues.

On the other hand, I put down Dead Space because I couldn't stand the controls. Mass Effect was similar, though to a far lesser extent.

Mass Effect I'm fine with. I've got a mouse that has 8 buttons and DPI adjustments. So once I hit upon a good set of mouse settings I was fine with the interface. The controls themselves seemed fine. Batman AA is in a similar vein. It helped if I made a careful keyboard and mouse asignment.

But with Dead Space, I can get the key assignments just fine but I still have trouble with the control scheme. I wish that they would not adjust the sensitivity when I am in combat mode. Christ, I don't know, that's the only thing I can figure out that I know I don't like but I doubt if that was removed it would improve things too much.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I'm just the opposite..I had no issues with the controls in Deadspace, but in ME, I thought the combat was horrible. Granted, I'm not sure how much of that was the controls/vs just the combat in general.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
On a crazy impulse I purchased DS2 last night but haven't played it yet.

I was INFURIATED at DS1 - it's a great example of a pretty decent game that got fucked over hard by the PC porting team. They actually ran the KB/M input through a console controller emulator... insane.

Anyway... DS1 = good game, technical disaster.

DS2 = ??? I'll find out tonight!

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I saw you updated it with the sale price and now the sale is over But the games MSRP is $39.99.

So, isn't it the $39.99 question now? :D

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
Holy crap I can't believe how many people had issues with the K/M controls in the first game. I played through the whole game with K/M and didn't have a single problem.

You didn't notice how the camera controls were artificially stinted even though you were using a mouse for camera control? It feels so limiting, I honestly couldn't play through the first game. I'll have to look into these "tweaks" to make it more PC-like, otherwise it feels like you're handicapped during the whole game.

BathroomFeeling

Apr 26, 2007
I just completed DS1 on the PC. The tweaks made it bearable I think, certainly better than using a console controller. My settings was 1.5 mouse sens, vsync off in the game, vsync & triple buffering forced on outside (nVidia CP can do this, not sure about AMDs CP). The vsync thing above is actually extremely important. Besides giving you good control of your character, you also won't get 'stuck' in various parts of the map.

Now this'll make navigating the menu using the mouse very annoying (just use keyboard for that), but it goes a long way towards making in-game play decent.

About the only thing absolutely broken with the game is the inability to manually set keyboard keys for play. You have to get a hex-edited settings file to play with the arrow keys, and keep other functions nearby.

Emultra

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2002
Keeping vsync off and forcing it on application-specifically through nVidia CP fixed the game for me. The mouse is still a bit laggy but I can deal with it since the game is good. That said, I certainly wouldn't mind a less laggy mouse in the sequel.

p0nd

Apr 18, 2011
You didn't notice how the camera controls were artificially stinted even though you were using a mouse for camera control? It feels so limiting, I honestly couldn't play through the first game. I'll have to look into these "tweaks" to make it more PC-like, otherwise it feels like you're handicapped during the whole game.

camera controls were probably intentionally limited by design, given that the game is survival horror. camera and character controls aren't going to be as precise as in a fast paced shooter like Just Cause; in Dead Space you are supposed to feel like you're moving around in a big heavy suit in a poorly lit spaceship with a helmet limiting your field of view.

that said, yeah, the mouse in this game was frustrating. V-Sync fixes it in game for me, but then the menu mouse controls are wonky. Also if i opened steam community while in game the windows cursor would persist on the screen afterwards, so i had to disable steam community while in that game - not a big deal but still bothersome.

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Played thru DS1 just fine with my 360 controller didn't really bother with the kb/m since i already played thru parts of it on the ps3.

BeKure

Sep 5, 2011
I just downloaded Dead Space 2 from Amazon.com for $18 and the PC controls are acting really weird. The game is unplayable. Even though my mouse and G13 are in a neutral position, the game menus are offset. I tried starting a new game which took forever to do because the offset menus make it really difficult to determine what you are actually selecting in the menu.
The camera spun a constant 360 degrees when I finally did get the game to start. All while my G13 and Mouse were in a neutral position. The game is unplayable at best and I'm pretty upset that I just spent money on a game that is unplayable. Has anyone experienced this issue before? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I just downloaded Dead Space 2 from Amazon.com for $18 and the PC controls are acting really weird. The game is unplayable. Even though my mouse and G13 are in a neutral position, the game menus are offset. I tried starting a new game which took forever to do because the offset menus make it really difficult to determine what you are actually selecting in the menu.
The camera spun a constant 360 degrees when I finally did get the game to start. All while my G13 and Mouse were in a neutral position. The game is unplayable at best and I'm pretty upset that I just spent money on a game that is unplayable. Has anyone experienced this issue before? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I had this exact same problem.

In my case, it was my joystick. I had a Saitek x52 joystick plugged in (USB, obviously), and I fixed it by unplugging it and starting up the game again.
Definitely unplug any joysticks/gamepads you're not using, then start the game again.

But it is almost certainly related to a USB input device you have. I know it's tedious, but unplug (one by one if need be) whatever device you're not using until you find the culprit. You can always plug them back in afterwards.

BeKure

Sep 5, 2011
I figured it out. It was a problem with the Logitech G13. For some reason DS2 mistakes the G13 for a 360 gamepad. Go figure...

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I played Dead Space for 38 minutes. Aiming seemed much more difficult than in most games, but I couldn't put my finger on why. The overall effect was to make me feel very vulnerable to the creatures crawling all over the place, because I didn't feel like an action hero, I felt like a slow muppet about to get eaten. It was pretty scary. I haven't played again due to how scary it was.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Does it still have that horrible over the shoulder viewpoint? I stopped playing the first game just because of that. What a waste of money that was.