the $60 question Dead Space 2 PC controls

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
so i dont see much mention of the controls in reviews
since the 1st one controlled worse than the witcher
is dead space 2 ruined from horrid controls?

Last edited:

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
I had no problem with the PC controls in the 1st game so I don't expect the 2nd to be any different. If you had input lag issues with the 1st game try disabling v-sync (may need to force it though the driver control panel). That should take care of it.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I'll buy a gamepad first, and get DS and DS2 as soon as they are about $15 together on Steam. :)

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah, I'm wondering too. I picked up Dead Space during the Christmas sales and SWEET ZOMBIE JESUS are the controls so damn ackward. I don't know what the problem is but for a game where you need to cooly slice off various appendages you'd think they would have done a much better job with the PC controls.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
a demo would be nice
but i suppose thats too much to ask
i thought the 1st controls were so poor that i could play
i tired messing with all vsync, even buckled and hooke da 360 controller up to pc
still seemed terrible, one of the strnagest 3ps controls ive encountered

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
I played it on PS3 and the only time I wished I had a KB/M was when
I had to man the cannon and shoot the asteroids and outside ship monster thing

I'm really tempted to get it on PC, but I loved it on PS3 as well, maybe I'll just get it through gamefly

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I don't know what the problem is but for a game where you need to cooly slice off various appendages you'd think they would have done a much better job with the PC controls.
There is the obvious problem that if you take a game balanced for gamepad and just stick in standard KB+M, you need to rebalance the whole thing. Which costs money, so they try to do KB+M schemes with a limited turn rate, which is doomed to fail as mouse naturally has unlimited turn rate and limiting it feels crap. Even if the balancing was done, sometimes the game is just more fun with the limited turn rate because it simulates mass.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Yeah, I'm wondering too. I picked up Dead Space during the Christmas sales and SWEET ZOMBIE JESUS are the controls so damn ackward. I don't know what the problem is but for a game where you need to cooly slice off various appendages you'd think they would have done a much better job with the PC controls.

The PC controls for Dead Space were intentionally made bad. This is because a keyboard + mouse is MUCH better at control than a gamepad. So to keep things "fair" for the game players, they made it so that the PC controls were as slow and cumbersome as a gamepad artificially. There were some tweaks that can be done to alleviate this problem somewhat though. Just search the internet for them.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I just played the original and used a logitec gamepad. That was after much frustration with the keyboard. Once I did that and spent time learning the controls I was able to enjoy it.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Some games are plain better with a controller ala Batman, Darksiders, Riddick EFBB, among others....and of course racing games too...

I loved DS and look forward to a a sale on steam...

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
in 4-5 weeks it will be $35-40

No shit, I never buy single player only games brand new because they always drop in price so quickly.

$40 within 2 months, $20 within 6 months, $10 in a year.

Some games are plain better with a controller ala Batman, Darksiders, Riddick EFBB, among others....and of course racing games too...

I agree on racing games, but Batman AA? I played that with a keyboard and mouse and it was fine. I actually tried it with a gamepad as well and I found the mouse control to be superior. Maybe because they didn't mess with the mouse tracking by limiting the maximum speed or anything.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
The PC controls for Dead Space were intentionally made bad. This is because a keyboard + mouse is MUCH better at control than a gamepad. So to keep things "fair" for the game players, they made it so that the PC controls were as slow and cumbersome as a gamepad artificially. There were some tweaks that can be done to alleviate this problem somewhat though. Just search the internet for them.
"Fair" is the wrong word because it's a single-player game. Rather, they were trying to keep the game enjoyable despite a new control scheme forced by the platform, but they failed because they took the low-rent way of doing that - balancing by shitting on the controls instead of balancing the content of the whole game, like they should have done. Or just printed "gamepad only" on top of the box - that would have been honest and preserved quality completely, but eaten into sales, so of course they can't have that. :(

Last edited:

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Holy crap I can't believe how many people had issues with the K/M controls in the first game. I played through the whole game with K/M and didn't have a single problem.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Holy crap I can't believe how many people had issues with the K/M controls in the first game. I played through the whole game with K/M and didn't have a single problem.

Unlike most others, I play NFS: Shift and GRID with a keyboard and mouse without any issues.

On the other hand, I put down Dead Space because I couldn't stand the controls. Mass Effect was similar, though to a far lesser extent.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004

No they weren't. They were simply buggy and easily fixed by forcing vsync off.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
the were bad with a controller and or vsync and sens fixes.
i tried all ways
compare say
max payne to dead space
yeah

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
WASD to move. Mouse to aim. I really don't see how it's different from any other game on PC.

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
No shit, I never buy single player only games brand new because they always drop in price so quickly.

$40 within 2 months, $20 within 6 months, $10 in a year.

Not trying to troll here, but you do realize DS2 has multiplayer right?

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
What I gather is that he only buys games new if they come with multiplayer he expects to play a lot. DS2's multiplayer looks tacked on, not like something anyone sticks with for long.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004

Actually I did not know that but the other guy got it right. A lot of games have MP modes that aren't really the focus of the game. Dead Space just seems like a single player focused game even if it has MP.

I don't know, maybe the MP is good, but I don't expect it to have the strong following of a COD or Valve game.

I'm more of a single player gamer anyway so even if the MP is really good I probably wouldn't bother with it.