The 2012 Formula One Thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
Speaking of Lotus stupidity...

Lotus F1 team committed to name despite end of title sponsor deal

yournameherea.jpg

The beginning of the end for Dany Bahar? LMFAO

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
Well I hope they find a title sponsor to take over as it seems the car has the pace.

I can't believe two teams that Colin Chapman probably couldn't give a shit about fought for the Lotus name in F1 with all that drama and now neither one wants it... so its going to be basically used for free. :hmm:

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Can someone make a diagram or a flow chart on this whole Lotus/Catarham F1 nonsense?

This reminds me of Jon Stewart's AT&T explanation a few years back.

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
Here you go, posted on twitter... don't have too much fun. :whiste:

VvCTy.jpg

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
In all honesty, they should just rename it to what the car is: a Renault. Everything, from the chassis to the engine, is made by Renault. Legally there will be no way the Lotus name will be kept, so the team should just accept it and move on. In all honesty I don't know why they didn't name the team Renault from the beginning for the 2012 season.

These two races have been very, very exciting though. To compare:

McLaren: Excellent qualifying pace, great race pace
Lotus/Renault: Great qualifying pace, excellent race pace
Red Bull: Good qualifying pace, great-to-excellent race pace
Sauber: okay-to-good qualifying pace, great race pace
Williams: mediocre-to-okay qualifying pace, good race pace
Mercedes: Great qualifying pace, mediocre-to-okay race pace

In all honesty, if it weren't for Romain's immaturity in the sport (constantly going off the track/crashing/not finishing races) and lack of aggressiveness and Kimi's bad luck (went a bit into the gravel in qualifying for Australia and had a 5-place grid penalty in Malaysia) Lotus/Renault would currently be where Red Bull is right now, if not better.

Lotus really needs to get Romain to be more aggressive, more attentive and more cautious all at the same so they can finish a race and get some good points. He's a good driver, so I'm pretty sure he could finish most races in 4th to 6th.

Kimi has shown he has good qualifying and race pace. I'm sure if he didn't have that penalty in Malaysia he would've gotten a third place podium by passing Hamilton.

If Lotus/Renault can sort out those issues, I'm sure we'd be seeing a straight-on battle between McLaren, Red Bull, and Lotus.

These next races are gonna be crucial for Lotus in particular and very exciting.

Mar 10, 2005
In all honesty, they should just rename it to what the car is: a Renault. Everything, from the chassis to the engine, is made by Renault.

actually, it's really an enstone-mecachrome. the shop is in enstone, with previous owners (at least) renault, benneton, renault/nissan again, and genii capital. unlike illmor > mercedes high performance engines, renault never bought mecachrome.

http://www.mecachrome.com/

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Looks like Bahrain GP may get cancelled. Fate of that race will be decided during the Chinese GP.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
actually, it's really an enstone-mecachrome. the shop is in enstone, with previous owners (at least) renault, benneton, renault/nissan again, and genii capital. unlike illmor > mercedes high performance engines, renault never bought mecachrome.

http://www.mecachrome.com/

You know what I mean. They assemble the engines for Renault, but in the end it's a Renault engine because Renault designed it.

There's a reason why we don't say the iPhone is a Samsung product.

Renault designs the engine; Renault designs the chassis. Change the name to Renault or Team Renault.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Who here is thinking of going to the race in Austin this year? I am planning to go, if possible. It sounds like it would be a blast, and I always wanted to go to a F1 race myself.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
Looks like Bahrain GP may get cancelled. Fate of that race will be decided during the Chinese GP.

Well, I hope not, even if it's a boring circuit. Having to wait until May to see another race would SUCK, and less circuits means less competition in the end.

They should just keep all this political BS out of Formula 1. It isn't the FIA's business or problem that there's some civil tensions/political problems in the country. It's a race, not an event for reuniting or separating the country.

With that in mind, why don't they want to get the Shanghai GP cancelled, too? Or did the political problems in Shanghai suddenly disappear?

Politics should be kept out of the sport, especially when we're talking about a multi million dollar sport.

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
Who here is thinking of going to the race in Austin this year? I am planning to go, if possible. It sounds like it would be a blast, and I always wanted to go to a F1 race myself.

I wish I can go. A couple of my friends made deposits already. There's some disconcerting news going around about the organizers though. I hope they can make it happen... layout looks better than Indy.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
it certainly looks like there's serious doubt over bahrain, but i'll believe a cancellation when i see it (or not see it?).

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/04/12/f1-fanatic-roundup-124/

If it hasn't been cancelled this late in the game, it definitely won't be cancelled now. Practice is in eight days; they'd be crazy to cancel an event with only one week to go before it starts.

Also, it's not the FIA's business that there's civil unrest in the country. That has nothing to do with the race or Formula 1 in general. I hope the FIA just ignores the situation or releases a press conference denying the (unfounded) rumors of cancellation.

Also, it looks like Hamilton is suffering the same fate as Raikkonen in Malaysia, as he'll have to change his gearbox for China. That means he will incur a 5-place grid penalty and the best he'll be able to start at is 6th if he gets the best qualifying time. Probably not what he wanted. I think Kimi has the perfect opportunity here for a podium finish, or even a win if he has excellent pace in qualifying and the race.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/4/13203.html

This is gonna be an exciting weekend.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2005
chinese grand prix u.s. tv times (eastern)

practice 1 - 10 pm, thursday, speed.com
practice 2 - 2 am, friday, speed
practice 3 - 11 pm, friday, speed.com
qualifying - 2 am, saturday, speed
race - 3 am, sunday, speed

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
Mercs DRS system has been deemed legal by the FIA.

As it will be for the 17 remaining races of the season. The other teams will keep protesting, but they're only doing so because they haven't been able to implement it themselves.

In any case, it's stupid. Mercedes is at the middle of the pack when it comes to race pace and they can barely compete with Sauber and Williams, while Lotus, Red Bull, and McLaren are all out of reach. Don't know why they keep whining about it.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
chinese grand prix u.s. tv times (eastern)

practice 1 - 10 pm, thursday, speed.com
practice 2 - 2 am, friday, speed
practice 3 - 11 pm, friday, speed.com
qualifying - 2 am, saturday, speed
race - 3 am, sunday, speed

Is there any way to watch Practice live/stream it?

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
FP1 is on
drive.gif

On a side note... did you guys see the ticket prices for the USGP? Holy sht. All seats require a PSL which is good for 15 years I think.

$1500 PSL + $375 ticket = $1875 for the first year LMFAO

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
FP1 is on
drive.gif

On a side note... did you guys see the ticket prices for the USGP? Holy sht. All seats require a PSL which is good for 15 years I think.

$1500 PSL + $375 ticket = $1875 for the first year LMFAO

For me it says the server connection timed out when I try to stream. :( :\