that's it, i'm getting myself a sportbike for my 21st b-day.........where's a good place to start?

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
alright. i want a sportbike. i've never ridden a motorcyle, nor do i know what to look for one i purchase one. anybody have any pointers?

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
damnit if you're gonna make me jealous like that, at least post some useful info............

like where you live.
:p

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
oh, i'm athletic, and an extremely fast learner. especially when it comes to sh!t like this.

don't know if that helps at all.

Oct 9, 1999

First take MSF course.. www.msf-usa.org (go look for your state)

Because your under 21 you will probably require that class as mandatory, even so if not i would suggest taking that class since you dont know what it is to ride a bike.

Next buy a good helmet & gear (jacket, gloves, boots if you dont have over the ankle ones) www.motorcycle-superstore.com can help you decide and buy.

Next buy a sensible motorcycle.. Something like a Suzuki GS500E (like the one i have),Kawasaki Ninja 500R, Older (pre 2003)Suzuki SV650(S), Suzuki Bandit 400, Ninja 250R, Honda Nighthawk (250 might be too weak, 750 is a bit too much though but managable), older Honda Rebel 450 (it was a cruiser but its more standard than cruiser), Buell Blast (not highly recommended though but good beginner bike).

Once you get it, take it slow and eventually you will learn to take corners and not crash.

I saw a few squids out today.. People at teh Rock Store dont like squids, esp ones wearing shorts, a tshirt and flip flops and oh yeah on something they shouldt be on in the first place.

Stay out of the Supersport Category (which means 600cc and up plastic rockets)

TGG_Motorcycle_BOT

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: theNEOone
oh, i'm athletic, and an extremely fast learner. especially when it comes to sh!t like this. don't know if that helps at all.

that's what james said.. now he has a broken collar bone.. needless to say he didnt listen to anyone of us.

You think your a fast learner.. but trust me there is a lot to learn.. take the MSF course.

Next take it slow.. Anybody can go fast in a straight line, but like life there are corners and you got to know how to take them.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: The_good_guy
First take MSF course.. <a href="http://www.msf-usa.org">www.msf-usa.org</A> (go look for your state)

Because your under 21 you will probably require that class as mandatory, even so if not i would suggest taking that class since you dont know what it is to ride a bike.

Next buy a good helmet & gear (jacket, gloves, boots if you dont have over the ankle ones) <a href="http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com">www.motorcycle-superstore.com</A> can help you decide and buy.

Next buy a sensible motorcycle.. Something like a Suzuki GS500E (like the one i have),Kawasaki Ninja 500R, Older (pre 2003)Suzuki SV650(S), Suzuki Bandit 400, Ninja 250R, Honda Nighthawk (250 might be too weak, 750 is a bit too much though but managable), older Honda Rebel 450 (it was a cruiser but its more standard than cruiser), Buell Blast (not highly recommended though but good beginner bike).

Once you get it, take it slow and eventually you will learn to take corners and not crash.

I saw a few squids out today.. People at teh Rock Store dont like squids, esp ones wearing shorts, a tshirt and flip flops and oh yeah on something they shouldt be on in the first place.

Stay out of the Supersport Category (which means 600cc and up plastic rockets)

TGG_Motorcycle_BOT

damn, so this one is too much then, huh? argh. it's so sweet.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
I'd say get nothing larger than a 600, and even those could be dangerous. If your range is $5-6k then look for something that isn't too old and is in good repair. My first bike was a Kawasak Ninja 500r, and it's suited me well. Goes fast when I need it to, gets great gas mileage, and hasn't killed me.

I've had it for almost a year now and definitely want to move up, but it still fills its purpose. As for which 600 to get if you go that route...my dream is the Kawasaki ZX-6R 636, but it's new and thus a bit pricey. For bikes a few years old, I'd personally go for a GSX (Suzuki), R6 (Yamaha), CBR (Honda) or Ninja (Kawasaki). Of those four, I'd basically just look around and find whichever I could that was in the best shape for the best price. Hope it helps.

Oh, and don't forget to save a couple hundred dollars for the helmet and riding gear.

Edit: and the_good_guy is right...the above 600's that I mentioned are pretty damn dangerous, any one of them (even those over a decade old). Anyone you talk to is going to recommend that you start with a 500 or so. After about six months when you feel more comfortable and have made the common motorcycle mistakes (which, on a 600, you would kill yourself doing), then think about moving up.

And yes, the bike you pictured would be a bit much even for me, and I learned on a Ducati 900SS (I do NOT recommend doing that, either).

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: The_good_guy First take MSF course.. ">http://www.msf-usa.org">www.msf-usa.org</a> (go look for your state) Because your under 21 you will probably require that class as mandatory, even so if not i would suggest taking that class since you dont know what it is to ride a bike. Next buy a good helmet & gear (jacket, gloves, boots if you dont have over the ankle ones) ">http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com">www.motorcycle-superstore.com</a> can help you decide and buy. Next buy a sensible motorcycle.. Something like a Suzuki GS500E (like the one i have),Kawasaki Ninja 500R, Older (pre 2003)Suzuki SV650(S), Suzuki Bandit 400, Ninja 250R, Honda Nighthawk (250 might be too weak, 750 is a bit too much though but managable), older Honda Rebel 450 (it was a cruiser but its more standard than cruiser), Buell Blast (not highly recommended though but good beginner bike). Once you get it, take it slow and eventually you will learn to take corners and not crash. I saw a few squids out today.. People at teh Rock Store dont like squids, esp ones wearing shorts, a tshirt and flip flops and oh yeah on something they shouldt be on in the first place. Stay out of the Supersport Category (which means 600cc and up plastic rockets) TGG_Motorcycle_BOT
damn, so this one is too much then, huh? argh. it's so sweet.

That's an extreme NO NO.. That's a liter bike... Similar to BillGates's bike (his is a TL1000R another liter bike).

If you want to get a Ducati (by chance you think you can save up enough for insurance and maintanance) the Monster 620 series is recommended (however its still quite a bit of power for a newbie but atleast its useable power).

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Heh, YZF1000's is a rather HUGE bike to start out on.

Well, you could definitely start out on it, but you would die faster than on other bikes.

I concur about the MSF course. I took it.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Oh, and what type of body frame do you have (height, weight, etc.)? That can make a huge difference in what type of bike you should look for.

And personally, I'd go japanese on the first bike. Ducati's (as the_good_guy mentioned) are expensive both insurance and maintenance wise, and are also VERY temperamental. They don't always start when you want them to, they like to scare you every now and again on routine turns just to let you know who yo daddy really is, and they're all pretty dayam torquey. Even though the exhaust note alone is worth the price of admission (as with any Italian motor vehicle), it's better left as a non-daily driver a few years down the road.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Wow... you're gunning for big bikes... :Q

Just take the MSF course first like what everyone's been saying. It's a good idea to buy a beater bike at first and then move on to what you want after you've ridden some miles. Although there are those who get what they want right after the MSF course. It's really up to you... just don't be stupid. I know some people who started off on Gixxers and they're still alive. :D Although they don't even ride the bike the way it was meant to be ridden just yet but i guess it makes them happy.

I have my eyes on these two once i get more riding time and more $$$... siiiigh... :(
Agusta MV F4 <--- pure sex on two wheels :D
Aprilia RS250 <--- track day toy :)

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
If you get a 1000 for your first bike, you better start picking out your headstone and buy that the same time you buy the bike.

Moemar

Aug 19, 2001
The_good_guy has some good advice. Not only will a smaller bike be safer for a beginner, but you won't get screwed over on insurance as much.

I'll go with The_good_guy and Hayabusarider on this one, and recommend a Suzuki SV650. Well, SV650S. It looks a little sportier, so you might want that a little more.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
Consider an SV650

hmm, i can't say that i like it too much

If you don't like the look of the sv, then check out a 500r. It has more of a "sporty" appeal because of its half-fairing, and it's still a great bike. Has almost as much torque as most 600's out there, but not enough HP to kill you if you accelerate too hard when coming out of a turn.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Whisper
Oh, and what type of body frame do you have (height, weight, etc.)? That can make a huge difference in what type of bike you should look for.

And personally, I'd go japanese on the first bike. Ducati's (as the_good_guy mentioned) are expensive both insurance and maintenance wise, and are also VERY temperamental. They don't always start when you want them to, they like to scare you every now and again on routine turns just to let you know who yo daddy really is, and they're all pretty dayam torquey. Even though the exhaust note alone is worth the price of admission (as with any Italian motor vehicle), it's better left as a non-daily driver a few years down the road.

i'm 5'11" about 205 lbs, and gaining....

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Too bad you live so far BillGates. Be cool if more OT'ers around here rode bikes.