that's it, i'm getting myself a sportbike for my 21st b-day.........where's a good place to start?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
Too bad you live so far BillGates. Be cool if more OT'ers around here rode bikes.

No doubt - I'd definitely be up for a ride!

P.S. -- Want to trade rims? I'll even let you keep my brand new Metzeler Sportec M-1's!! (I want black rims, bad -- TL and Hayabusa wheels are interchangeable)

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I was prolly gonna get a yzf600r this summer if I find a job...that woudl be my gift to myself:)

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: BillGates
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
Too bad you live so far BillGates. Be cool if more OT'ers around here rode bikes.

No doubt - I'd definitely be up for a ride!

P.S. -- Want to trade rims? I'll even let you keep my brand new Metzeler Sportec M-1's!! (I want black rims, bad -- TL and Hayabusa wheels are interchangeable)

Sorry, but I just put on a new Michelin Pilot Sport HPX. I like that extra margin of safety. :D

And theNEOone, yes it is a 1999 model, so it is the fastest production bike.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
What about a 96-99 Yamaha YZF 600? I was thinking about getting one of those for my first bike in a few months. If everyone here says don't, then I might get a Ninja 500r, instead.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
post more pics of your "girlfriend" and i'll tell you all you need to know ;)

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
What about a 96-99 Yamaha YZF 600? I was thinking about getting one of those for my first bike in a few months. If everyone here says don't, then I might get a Ninja 500r, instead.

The way I see it yeah, it's a fast bike..maybe too fast...but I know I won't get bored of it. I know I might get myself into trouble but it's a bike that I'm going to be satisfied with for awhile and be able to take advantage of its potential after gaining more experience. If I got somethin smaller I know I'd want to move up in a year...
That and I love how the yamahas look

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001

I started on a '95 YZF600 - still plenty fast and kinda comfy too. I rode 4 years and 16,000 miles on that thing before trading up to my new girlfriend.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: BillGates

I started on a '95 YZF600 - still plenty fast and kinda comfy too. I rode 4 years and 16,000 miles on that thing before trading up to my new girlfriend.

YZF it is then! My gf is already jealous even though I won't get it yet. Soon, soon... I'll have two rides.

Oct 9, 1999

Kelvrick and others.... the YZF is for advanced riders.. any supersport bikes are for advanced riders..

People who say they get bored of their bike in a year or less are stupid. I have been riding mine for over 2 years now and guess what I am still riding it. It still gives me the shivers every time I hang 10 around a corner.

People who get bored with their bikes are going straight line at a drag track.. anyone can go straight.. the bike pretty much keeps itself upright.. Its those corners that we all talk about.. if you know who to wing your bike you will survive a corner.. if you dont.. your going to crash. How do you prevent a crash.. get something smaller that has enough throttle control. Also on a supersport the issue is lean. How much can you lean. They sit up quite high and have a racy position. If you dont know how to lean into a turn earlier you wont be able to, it definately doesnt give you confidence. I tried a supersport (gixxer 600), it was great once i got used to it, but it took ages to get used to it to get it to lean over properly (and smoothly), even after i got used to it I coudlnt flick it.. it took a hell lot of effort to flick the bike left to right and back.

If your going to be stupid and get super sports go get some real expensive leather.. dont know if that would have saved the guy who crashed today in the canyons (tshirt, jeans, sneakers). A newbie who thought he could ride something a bit more powerful. How new was the rider.. only last week he bought the bike and he only had 75 miles on it. Advanced riders know new tyres are the devil.

Let me tell you something.. if you want hang 10 with us in your car and see if you can keep up.. and then we will see what you think. Try hanging 10 with pablo or colin. Colin ofcourse is now out for a while (after a newbie went down in front of him and then knocked him off his bike - broken shoulder and ribs - and mind you he was wearing full race leathers and riding a SV650). I mean you probably will keep up with me cause i go slow, but i mean pablo scares the Sh*t out of me.. and guess what he rides a GS500.

Some advanced riders actually hate pablo because he is so fast on teh GS. Little do they know he knows every tiny rut in the roads because for years he was a bicyclist in the canyons.

Heed a actual riders advice (people who ride daily or commute or actually have a common sense) and not the newbs that really want to go fast in a straight line.

Also dont be a replacement for displacement gearhead.. that works in a car, but not on a Bike. Your weight is negligible when it comes to this. So you wont his 0-60 as fast but if you can turn it your safe.. Trust me.. even a putt putt 250cc will get ya 300lb body around.

raptor13

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just like everyone else, I'm interested in getting a bike at some point. I have a little bit of dirt bike experience (recreational only), know what stupid things can be done on wheels (motocross events), and have already taken the MSF course (wooo!!!). Obviously getting anything over 600cc for a beginning bike is pretty rediculous but, I can't deny want I want, and I want a sport bike!

For whatever reason, I'm in love with Suzuki bikes. I'm not so stupid as to get a GSX-R600 but what would you bike guys think of a Katana or Bandit? I realize even that is probably more bike than I should have but man.... they're so tempting. I could pick up a late model Katana for less than $3500. The Bandit would be even less. I should probably look at the Yamahas, too. Those are some pretty bikes as well.

Thoughts? Comments?

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I started on a Ninja 250. Previous dirt bike rider. Wanted street experience. I kept it for a year and then got a CBR-600. What a world of difference. It was like going from a bicycle to a jet fighter. Take the guys advice. Leave the sportbikes for later. Learn and learn well before jumping on any sportbike. I know a few people that have gotten 1000's for their first. One guy is no longer with us and the other sold his in 3 months. He found himself wanting to race any and everythig and it scared him so bad he sold it.