That little bastage... I wanna kill him

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
This is one reason why autoplay is disabled on my system. I like to see what CD's are doing before I let them do anything.

Ideally....take out your hard drive and run a virus scan on a clean system.

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
RAWR!!!!!! I AM INVINCIBLE!!!

McAfee - 0 Threats found
Windows Defender - No Threats Detected
PC Tools Antivirus - 0 Virus's detected
Prevx2.0 - No malicious malware found

I did not even have to take the drive out of the computer, just a lot of hair pulling and advancement of gray hairs.

Now for revenge... you ever hear the eskimo proverb that revenge is a dish best served cold. And it's very cold in Alaska.
Here are some things I have planned, pick any two of the following.

1. I date the girl he is trying to have a relationship with and goto a place he hangs out a lot.
2. I implant a ping storm program into his computer essentially making his internet useless and perhaps even exceed his 2GB transfer per month before charges.
3. I replace the contents of his catsup bottle with hot paste (he hates hot stuff) as well as put in at least 10 tablespoons of vanilla extract into his liquid hazelnut coffee creamer.
4. I plug the fuel line on his ATV on a night before he has to goto work in the morning, he works 9 miles out of town and his ATV is his only form of transportation.
5. I put a rake right next to his doorstep for him to step on and come flying up to nail him.

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Buy Sunbelt Counterspy and run it. After that, install Spybot and run it in safe mode. That should get you out of trouble.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: SinfulWeeper

McAfee - 0 Threats found

I did not even have to take the drive out of the computer, just a lot of hair pulling and advancement of gray hairs.

Now for revenge... you ever hear the eskimo proverb that revenge is a dish best served cold. And it's very cold in Alaska.

1. I date the girl he is trying to have a relationship with and goto a place he hangs out a lot.
2. I implant a ping storm program into his computer essentially making his internet useless and perhaps even exceed his 2GB transfer per month before charges.
3. I replace the contents of his catsup bottle with hot paste (he hates hot stuff) as well as put in at least 10 tablespoons of vanilla extract into his liquid hazelnut coffee creamer.
4. I plug the fuel line on his ATV on a night before he has to goto work in the morning, he works 9 miles out of town and his ATV is his only form of transportation.
5. I put a rake right next to his doorstep for him to step on and come flying up to nail him.

uhh...

you would have to be insane not to flatten and reinstall that system.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Platypus

uhh...

you would have to be insane not to flatten and reinstall that system.

/agree

why anyone would not keep an image of their computer after a fresh reinstall (with patches + necessary apps installed) is beyond me.

I wipe my box and restore the ghost every couple just as a matter of course.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006

McAfee - 0 Threats found

I vote for numbers 2 and 3, and putting an open can of sardines next to his car's air intake wouldn't be such a bad idea either ;)

But, if you start getting any more weird behavior, I really recommend nuking the PC, reformat and reinstall, it's the only way to be sure. Oh and you should probably scan the thing every night for the next week just to make sure nothing is trying to reinstall itself stealthily.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
WTF?!! That's not even slightly funny. If a sibling or friend did that to me it'd be the last time I'd ever talk to them. :roll:

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001

McAfee - 0 Threats found

Get a real virus scan and spyware scanner.

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
Why, my system is snappy again? Roughly about 63 entries were deleted from my windows system32 directory, mainly .dll's, gawd knows how many more in other parts of my computer. 2 AV programs report no virus/trojans after 8 scans of each. 2 spyware programs report no spyware after 12 scans with each. From hitting the power button to a complete windows boot is back to 14 seconds. I get no pop-ups. My CPU usage after booting goes down to 1-3%. My system memory in use from boot is 150MB. I think it is safe to assume I eliminated all trojans/virus/spyware.

Removing this stuff is what I used to do for a living back when I co-owned an ISP with my father on top of building computers. Overconfidence I must say caught the best of me. I have not gotten a virus in ~ 8 years, and that virus was intentional just so I can learn how to remove it. I normally practice asfe internet usage for the main reason not getting any. I NEVER expected to get a virus from a family member in a form a disk.
All my programs are working properly... well I have not fired up starcraft ,BF2 or any of my games yet, but I expect them to work properly.

But yeah I was thinking #2 & 3 are appropriate. I really outta charge him my $40/hr rate for the work I had to do on this. I must say he was right though... it was something that blew my mind out. I almost did get to the part of reformatting.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Do you mind making an image of that disk? That sounds a like a great way to test out various antivirus programs.

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
If I did not break the damned thing. After I cool down I can prolly just ask my brother for another one... well after he cools down. I am gunna get my revenge tomorrow when he goes to work. I am gunna do 2 & 3 listed above.

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: dman
WTF?!! That's not even slightly funny. If a sibling or friend did that to me it'd be the last time I'd ever talk to them. :roll:

You must have neither since u place windows above siblings.

Bros befo windoze!

Linux ftw!

Ditto!

Fineghal

Apr 6, 2006
Get a bunch of finger tip gloves from a local hobby type store. They're usually used to handle small items that don't like oil - watch repair for instance.

Since they look like VERY miniature condoms I'm sure you can think of something.
Get inventive with them. Leave them at his work or in his bag... If he still goes to school, get his buddies in on the joke.

But seriously, no matter what, that deserves a kick in the nuts.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
I can guarantee you that there are still viruses/trojans still residing on that machine likely in the form of rootkits at this point. Even a good antivirus like Kasperksy (McAfee is utter crap) would have a hard time finding them much less getting rid of them. You can go on thinking that your system is clean. I'm sure we'll eventually see a thread along the lines of "Wtf, why did my ISP cut me off for mail ussage?! or...."My PayPal account got hijacked, how the heck did this happen?!?" or...."My computer is acting really weird again, I was sure it was clean!!" from you in the future probably sooner than later.

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
Tell your parents in secrecy that your brother confided his homosexuality to you, but that he was too scared to come out to them.

;)

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Have fun buying anything online or entering personal infornation from now on... you're absolutely out of your mind for not formatting that.