That little bastage... I wanna kill him

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kindest

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2001
cant you disable autorun in form of a service.
doesn't xp-antispy do it automatically or am i thinking of something else.

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
I am the only one who uses my computer, even my kids know they are not supposed to play with it. I had autorun enabled as I noramally switch disks a lot and dont want to deal with the time it takes to confirm putting in a new disk.

erwin1978

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
As long as you had fun there's no harm done. Really. I know I enjoyed your little story.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: SinfulWeeper
So he comes over to my house for a visit and were talking for about 30 minutes, he was just about to leave then he pulled a CD out of his pocket. He said try this out, I think you'll like it. I asked what it is, he simply said something that will blow your mind out.
I was thinking kewl, he finally found a good game that challenges the mind. So I pop it in and he made a autorun.ini file on it. It installs and I was thinking okay, wtf... then BOOM!!! sounded like thunder just struck out of my speakers. I instantly turned them down after having the living crap scared out of me. Then all of a sudden IE starts popping up like mad. They were opening faster then I can close them. Then my AV starts going nuts followed by my spyware stuff saying I have been infected.
6 hours later I am still trying to remove the damn stuff. I got infected by 92 trojans that seem to regrow, but I finally got it down to 27. My spyware keeps going in loops removing the same things over and over. My system right now is slower then molasses on a freezing winter night :|

now that's a dick brother.

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
Tis okay. Soon as he boots his computer when he's off of work, he's gunna start ping storming. The next morning after that he's gunna have some nasty tasting coffee and a burning tongue when he thinks he's using ketchup. :laugh:
I just got back from his house. He had a friend over, she let me in but soon as I got in she went immediately to the bathroom. She has no clue what I did. We left at the same time about 4-8 minutes after I got there. I'll not talk to him today, but after he's off of work tomorrow I'll give him a ring :D

BigPoppa

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm not in the camp that says reformat or bust. Cleaning is almost always a possibility. Run an Ewido scan (www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan), its very good at picking up the last few traces that other scanners miss. Also, look for some form of a rootkit scanner. Spysweeper has the ability to scan for rootkits, but you need to enable it in the options. You can download a trial from www.webroot.com. Double check hijack this, run CCleaner. When done with all scans make sure you disable then re-enable (or not, I don't use it really ever except on Vista) System Restore to delete any old restore points.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: AUMM
is this something you guys do for fun?

No kidding. I would never think to do something like that to anyone but my enemies. Especially not family or close friends. :confused:

LookingGlass

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2005
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: SinfulWeeper
So he comes over to my house for a visit and were talking for about 30 minutes, he was just about to leave then he pulled a CD out of his pocket. He said try this out, I think you'll like it. I asked what it is, he simply said something that will blow your mind out.
I was thinking kewl, he finally found a good game that challenges the mind. So I pop it in and he made a autorun.ini file on it. It installs and I was thinking okay, wtf... then BOOM!!! sounded like thunder just struck out of my speakers. I instantly turned them down after having the living crap scared out of me. Then all of a sudden IE starts popping up like mad. They were opening faster then I can close them. Then my AV starts going nuts followed by my spyware stuff saying I have been infected.
6 hours later I am still trying to remove the damn stuff. I got infected by 92 trojans that seem to regrow, but I finally got it down to 27. My spyware keeps going in loops removing the same things over and over. My system right now is slower then molasses on a freezing winter night :|

now that's a dick brother.

I wouldn't even call him a brother. Like others have said, I could not imagine doing that to my brothers, or anyone in my family.

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
Okay update. Been at his house fixing not only the problem on his computer that I created. But also all the rest of his computer problems, as well as a format of my computer for security reasons on a update from my brother from who gave him the disk.

He was not the culprit for this mess... I was. But in no way shape or form did I apologize for his ketchup and coffee creamer. I told him consider it severance for being so stupid to do that too me and yourself.

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...094795&highlight_key=y
For those of you with reference that was a little prank which I still think is hilarious. Anyways one of the men (which I did not see the flirting going on) named Frank for some odd reason caught wind of that thread. He was one of the men Jenifer was flirting with to get free stuff (which I did not know at the time). He was also a partner of an ISP which my dad and I put out of business cause their service sucked hard core compared to ours and we ended up getting 80%+ of their customers on top of our own new ones.
Anyways he bribed my brother into giving me that CD for a network card, cable and $10 cash. Needless to say the network card and cable were worthless, 10base T as an ISA card and a pinched cable... but thats besides the point. He figured out I put Jenifer up for that and he wanted revenge.

If your reading this thread too Frank, guess what... I got rid of your virus just as easy as I got rid of you in your business. Your virus was nothing more then a thorn in my side and with minimal effort, I got rid of it just like your ISP!!!, and I am not a dumbass who buys girls near $100 worth of crap just cause they flirt with me!!! Try again you dolt!!!, you might be able to make a business some day!!!

There now... did I really type that??? lol :laugh: