That day Elon Musk almost certainly committed a felony... (yesterday)

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
It’s this tweet. https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1026894228541071360?s=12

It caused TSLA shares to jump and then trading was halted. Best case scenario is that the tweet is exactly true, there’s a group of investors who are willing to take the firm private at $420.

But... this just doesn’t fit the profile of a company that would go private. It’s market valuation is seen as quite high, it has loads of debt, it has production problems and its CEO has exhibited some erratic behavior recently. So, it would be stock price manipulation, and a manipulation that could easily be viewed as malicious since Elon constantly complains about shorts.

I think this is about to unravel, and Elon Musk might be headed for prison.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'm not going to hold my breath on him going to prison, but I call BS on going private. The biggest asset the company has is its stock price and the ability to sell seemingly endless amount of it. If they go private they will be saddled with even more debt and lose the easy capital gravy train.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I'm not going to hold my breath on him going to prison, but I call BS on going private. The biggest asset the company has is its stock price and the ability to sell seemingly endless amount of it. If they go private they will be saddled with even more debt and lose the easy capital gravy train.

I’ve heard investor losses were in the billions. If he made it up, how can that not be securities fraud? I mean, if the SEC actually does anything about it is another question, but there will almost certainly be a class action suit against Elon and the firm.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
I doubt Musk will go to jail, SEC was forewarned his twitter might divulge info. If it goes private and becomes more lean and efficient. Like he has said it would, he considers Tesla being public was an awful decision, etc.

There is also the upcoming imminent "super-battery" boom. Which that lean and efficiency is needed to make the switch.

Reactions: cytg111

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Word is he's getting offered billions in Saudi money...they want a Tesla factory and gigafactory in KSA, along with power projects. Pretty bold for the largest petroleum producer.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Word is he's getting offered billions in Saudi money...they want a Tesla factory and gigafactory in KSA, along with power projects. Pretty bold for the largest petroleum producer.

The writing is on the wall. KSA wants to transition. They could be a solar power house.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

maybe then Musk should tweet some human rights criticism re: KSA and just see what happens?

Reactions: UNCjigga

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I think the intention was to give the shorts a major burn but I suspect he's covered his ass and actually has something resembling an offer to do this.

Jan 25, 2011
Statement from the following members of Tesla’s Board of Directors: Brad Buss, Robyn Denholm, Ira Ehrenpreis, Antonio Gracias, Linda Johnson Rice, and James Murdoch

PALO ALTO, Calif., Aug. 08, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Last week, Elon opened a
discussion with the board about taking the company private. This included
discussion as to how being private could better serve Tesla’s long-term
interests, and also addressed the funding for this to occur. The board has met
several times over the last week and is taking the appropriate next steps to
evaluate this.

Investor Relations Contact:
ir@tesla.com

Press Contact:
press@tesla.com

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Pretty damn smart. Using oil to get out of oil before its too late.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
I’ve heard investor losses were in the billions. If he made it up, how can that not be securities fraud? I mean, if the SEC actually does anything about it is another question, but there will almost certainly be a class action suit against Elon and the firm.

How can investors lose billions when the stock goes up?

You mean shorts are crapping in their pants, but companies don't have any responsibility to stock shorters.

There was an employee email that has more details about taking Tesla private in a structure similar to Space-X.
https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/07/e...aking-tesla-private-is-the-best-path-forward/

Reactions: Aegeon and cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
As I read it, it is in the clear, cause he notified investors first.
What shouldnt be legal is wallstretard types hype'n dump'n hype'n short'n repeat... and Musk is fed up with the retards.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
How can investors lose billions when the stock goes up?

You mean shorts are crapping in their pants, but companies don't have any responsibility to stock shorters.

There was an employee email that has more details about taking Tesla private in a structure similar to Space-X.
https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/07/e...aking-tesla-private-is-the-best-path-forward/

Long investors can lose money by having stops in place that go against them because they weren't watching Elon's Twitter feed (or because he blocked them) and his Twitter feed was not mentioned in their SEC filing as a way to disseminate information. There's a reason trading is halted before major announcements are made.

And it doesn't matter if Tesla has "responsibility" to shorts, you can't manipulate the stock price to force them to cover. That's still a crime.

Another way to look at this is that Wall Street is simply reaping what they sewed since the SEC is a joke at this point. Musk's antics are exactly the kind of shit the '33 act was supposed to stop, and they've completely gutted it.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
What shouldnt be legal is wallstretard types hype'n dump'n hype'n short'n repeat... and Musk is fed up with the retards.

Tesla is a publicly traded company, that makes no sense. He clearly did not notify investors first since the stock bounced on the Tweet. Also, all market participants have a right to access this information for a publicly traded stock, not just the investors.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Long investors can lose money by having stops in place that go against them because they weren't watching Elon's Twitter feed (or because he blocked them) and his Twitter feed was not mentioned in their SEC filing as a way to disseminate information. There's a reason trading is halted before major announcements are made.

And it doesn't matter if Tesla has "responsibility" to shorts, you can't manipulate the stock price to force them to cover. That's still a crime.

Another way to look at this is that Wall Street is simply reaping what they sewed since the SEC is a joke at this point. Musk's antics are exactly the kind of shit the '33 act was supposed to stop, and they've completely gutted it.

It's only stock manipulation if it isn't true.

If it's true, there is no manipulation.

So you are claiming it's a sham, and there is no plan to take Tesla Private?

Reactions: Aegeon

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Smart, not bold. Solar and electric are never going to replace fossil fuels, but instead will add to the overall energy supply. Meanwhile, SA is ideally sited for solar energy production.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

so, basically all of wallstreet? nothing increases at an increasing rate indefinitely. and yet companies are somehow supposed to show continuous growth quarter over quarter and year over year :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
so, basically all of wallstreet? nothing increases at an increasing rate indefinitely. and yet companies are somehow supposed to show continuous growth quarter over quarter and year over year :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well I did have someone passionately argue to me the other day that the US economy is no longer cyclical thanks to Trump becoming president.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
It's only stock manipulation if it isn't true.

If it's true, there is no manipulation.

Absurd. Do you know what selective disclosure is?

So you are claiming it's a sham, and there is no plan to take Tesla Private?

None has been presented yet, the letter from the board members did not suggest that a plan was in place. A discussion between Elon and the board does not constitute a plan.