TF2 questions and rants

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
What are points in TF2? How are they calculated? When I'm in a game and I look at the scoreboard, what numbers do those represent? For instance the other night I had my best game ever. I have over 90 points in the game, but when I look at my stats, it says 42...

My stat page

How is it calculating the 42?

I'm not liking the critical hits any more. it kind of removes any skill from the game. You're going up against a guy and you need one more shot to kill him but then he gets a critical and kills you in one shot.

lately, i've been getting killed a lot by rockets and grenades. What happens is, they hit me once and it sends me flying into the air and then as I'm coming down, the next one hits me and I can't move or anything to try to get out of the way. I never had that happen to me until recently.

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
I pretty much ignore my stat page now. It doesn't update correctly, if at all. Like last night I got 60+ kills on Dustbowl in one round and it still only shows my last kill score. Clearly I got a higher score than previously, but it never updates. The only thing it keeps track of accurately are my total points (whenever they aren't resetting randomly of course).

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
You get a point for everything. Kills, assists, teleporting people, knocking sappers off sentries, capturing, defending, etc.

I'm with you on the critical hit thing. I don't like the randomness of it. It may be great when you get a critical hit and kill someone but it's not as good as a legitimate skillful kill.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If you have 24453 points in a game the stat page only counts untill you die. So lets say you start off and kill 10 people and then get killed, you get 10 points. Next time you kill 15 people, then that will be your new high score.

You get points for kill assists. Think 1/2 point per assist.
You get kill assist points as a medic when the guy you are healing kills someone.
You get I think 1/2 point when someone uses your teleporter.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I wish they gave medics points for healing and engineers points for repairing.

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Czar is right. The points on the stats page are counted up to the point you die. So basically it's the most amount of points you can accumulate until you die (or the round is over).

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I absolutely hate critical hits or whenever weapons get that red or blue aura around them. It's just too damned random. I hate being like a soldier and getting wiped out in a single shot by a stupid scout who just manages to randomly hit me with a blue aura-ed shotgun blast. They need to do something like have a critical buildup meter so you know when your next shot will have that aura, so you can save it up for someone.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
I absolutely hate critical hits or whenever weapons get that red or blue aura around them. It's just too damned random. I hate being like a soldier and getting wiped out in a single shot by a stupid scout who just manages to randomly hit me with a blue aura-ed shotgun blast. They need to do something like have a critical buildup meter so you know when your next shot will have that aura, so you can save it up for someone.

I like this idea. Maybe have it build up per life, and you lose all the buildup if you die. It would promote teamwork, since everyone wants to stay alive long enough for their crit shot.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Oh, in addition, I hate the shotguns. They're so weak... it takes three full shotgun blasts at point blank just to kill a sniper. But when they do their random critical they're all of a sudden super weapons. WTH? It's infuriating to be chasing like a scout who only does 10 damage to you with each hit and then right before you kill him he does like 100+ damage and kills you with a random critical.

Can the splash radius and splash damage of rockets and grenades be any smaller? It takes three direct rocket hits to kill a soldier. Like 5 to kill a heavy. It's a freakin' ROCKET. If I shoot off 4 rockets in a row into a clusterfucked group of enemies, I hardly ever get a kill. I don't get it. There's no way for me to miss, but the splash damage and radius is just so small.

I'm personally really starting to dislike TF2, and I regret purchasing it. Portal and EP3 made up some of the cost, but TF2 is just so aggravating sometimes, IMO because the weapon balance is awful.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I think the balance is fantastic (save for a small needed pyro buff). You should be aiming at the persons feet, not so you splash them, but so you actually hit them. The splash damage is backup in case you miss. Soldier is actually the only class that probably does almost (but not quite) too much damage. Not to mention they're super easy to use, but hard to really master.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
I think the balance of the classes is pretty much right on. It takes some getting used to each class but they definitely all have their counter-class. Learn the strengths and weaknesses of your class and use it to your advantage.

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
Originally posted by: Beev
I think the balance is fantastic (save for a small needed pyro buff). You should be aiming at the persons feet, not so you splash them, but so you actually hit them. The splash damage is backup in case you miss. Soldier is actually the only class that probably does almost (but not quite) too much damage. Not to mention they're super easy to use, but hard to really master.

That and crit rockets pretty much kill you no matter where you are. I've actually jumped over one to have to explode against a wall and kill me. It was on Dustbowl, the 3rd section, near the first defense respawn gate. Guessing it is because of server side hit detection, but it is freaking annoying. I've only ever survived a crit rocket with full health twice, both times having 1 HP left.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Agree with the critical hits. They come close to ruining the game. It's retarded most of the time when I run into the fray with full health, and suddenly die cause some soldier or demoman launched a critical close to me and I die instantly. The same thing happens sometimes even with regular shots. I have almost full health, but a demo launches a regular frag at me and I die instantly. Is there a difference between flowing shots and just hits to the head?

Another annoying thing is sniping: I can't even begin to count the number of times I got killed in midair on 2fort by a sniper, and a large number of these were headshots. The pisser is that I can do it too, I just don't cause sniper is boring to me.

Some things have to be toned down like criticals, sniping damage (non-headshots) and sappers. It becomes stupid sometimes when you're alone and a spy keeps spamming sappers at your equipment until you run out of metal (I've done it too); need to add a delay or cool down period.

Robert Munch

Oct 11, 2006
TF2 should have added grenades and bunnyhop when it was originally made for quakeworld or at least use the quake1 TF physics. TF2 feels to bland compared to it's original.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
TF2 is noob friendly, which is why they took out grenades and bunnyhopping. At first I thought it'd be terrible, but it actually makes for a far more balanced and FUN game. They've managed to narrow the gap between novice and experienced players. This way, even though experienced players will still dominate the novice players, everybody can have fun! For this reason, TF2 is definitely the best multiplayer game for pubbing that I've ever played.

The damage balance is pretty fair. Every class has their strengths and weaknesses. Don't expect to dominate a heavy weapons guy at long range with a pyro! This doesn't mean that pyro is underpowered. Don't expect to successfully chase down a scout as a soldier. The list goes on and on. The game was designed this way. In certain situations, there is NOTHING you can do. You need team mates of other classes with you at all times to make your team viable. This isn't CounterStrike - the playing field is NOT 100% level on a 1 versus 1 basis. That's the whole _point_ of team fortress!

As for the crits, they're fantastic! Sometimes the only thing that can save you in football is a hail mary. During the hail mary play, you tense up in suspense and just HOPE it works... if it works, you're twice as excited, but if it DOESN'T work, you're twice as disappointed. These extreme feelings add to the excitement of the sport. The same goes for crits in TF2. Imagine you're running the flag/intel as a scout and run into a heavy weapons guy. You've got a split second before you die... you shoot him in the chest - BAM! Critical strike! He's DOWN! "HOLY @#%$@#$ YES YES YES" you scream as you run out the enemy front door. I'm sure a similar situation has happened to all who have played this game.

I think it's a great game. Through time, it'll be tweaked even more. Can't wait :)

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: slugg
TF2 is noob friendly, which is why they took out grenades and bunnyhopping. At first I thought it'd be terrible, but it actually makes for a far more balanced and FUN game. They've managed to narrow the gap between novice and experienced players. This way, even though experienced players will still dominate the novice players, everybody can have fun! For this reason, TF2 is definitely the best multiplayer game for pubbing that I've ever played.

"noob friendly" = fun but shallow
skilled = difficult but rewarding

It shouldn't surprising that a noob friendly game is fun. It should be surprising if it has the staying power TF1 had.

450R

Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Imp
Another annoying thing is sniping: I can't even begin to count the number of times I got killed in midair on 2fort by a sniper, and a large number of these were headshots. The pisser is that I can do it too, I just don't cause sniper is boring to me.

Sniping has its own issues (agreed, overpowered) but I think hit detection in general is off. I can't count the number of times I've been hit by a sniper or heavy after I've turned a corner ... the kind of shot you know is impossible because of line-of-sight. I never join servers over 40ms so you'd think latency wouldn't be much of an issue. I'm actually wondering if Valve intentionally made hit detection a little lazy to keep the fun/action going.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: 450R
Originally posted by: Imp

Sniping has its own issues (agreed, overpowered) but I think hit detection in general is off. I can't count the number of times I've been hit by a sniper or heavy after I've turned a corner ... the kind of shot you know is impossible because of line-of-sight. I never join servers over 40ms so you'd think latency wouldn't be much of an issue. I'm actually wondering if Valve intentionally made hit detection a little lazy to keep the fun/action going.

yeah, i've had that happen with snipers a lot, especially near that corrugated iron paneling or whatever it is where the snipers like to hang out. i 've been behind it a few times and got hit.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: skace

It shouldn't surprising that a noob friendly game is fun. It should be surprising if it has the staying power TF1 had.

So bunny hopping and grenades for all classes add depth? I don't think so.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Is there any story behind TF or TF2 at all? Like why are we all fighting against each other?

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: ayabe

Grenades made the gameplay borderline garbage...

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001

Then you haven't thought about it. Yes of course it adds depth. Look at this way, you could play TF1 without these things and you had 1 game, then you could slowly learn these things over time until you are playing a completely new game. This is why you can watch a video of someone better than you playing a level and simply not even recognize the way they are moving about the level. New paths that open up, new strategies that come into play.

The way the game changes as you learn new skills is the very definition of depth.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006

Then you haven't thought about it. Yes of course it adds depth. Look at this way, you could play TF1 without these things and you had 1 game, then you could slowly learn these things over time until you are playing a completely new game. This is why you can watch a video of someone better than you playing a level and simply not even recognize the way they are moving about the level. New paths that open up, new strategies that come into play.

The way the game changes as you learn new skills is the very definition of depth.

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePbfM6qtu5U