TF2 beta with Orange Box Pre-Order

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blipblop

Jun 23, 2004
I was thinking about buying this. I was wondering if anyone has similar system specs as me? I was just wondering what the performance of it should be. I don't usually run with many goodies on at all.

A64 3000+(single core)
1gig pc3200
ATi X700-nonpro

Thanks

Nikamichi

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: mb
new patch out for TF2 and it says this:

Demoman grenades (not stickybombs) no longer explode on contact after the first bounce

what exactly does that mean? i'm not sure i ever even saw that happen.

they always exploded on the 2nd bounce or only when contacting an enemy?

Lets say there is a sentry around a corner.

Before the patch, a demoman could bounce a grenade off the wall and if it hit the sentry, it would explode and do damage.

After the patch, if a demoman bounces a grenade off the wall and it his a sentry, it will not explode. It will only explode after whatever the time limit is. Same thing applies if a demoman bounces the grenade off the ground or wall into an enemy. It will no longer explode on contact.

ok, wow, that is fucking retarded. why the hell would they do that?

To prevent nade spamming?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I played a bunch last night and some more this morning and the Demo does not appear to be handcuffed in anyway. In fact I actually saw more people playing him than usual, and doing well (not me, I still can't play that class at all).

Does anyone else know what else was in the patch? Are Pyros stronger and did they increase the damage done by the Scout's shotty? It feels as if both of these were changed, but maybe it's just me.

KT

Oil

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2005
I don't know if this was covered earlier in the thread but I see that you can purchase TF2 for $30. Does this come with the beta like Orange Box does?

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
September 28, 2007 - Current Release

Changes/Additions
Added option to change Field-of-view, between 75 & 90, from the Options->Multiplayer tab
Added option to disable Player sprays
Increased flamethrower damage at point black range
Demoman grenades (not stickybombs) no longer explode on contact after the first bounce
Bug fixes
Fixed flamethrower hit detection
Fixed a startup crash
Fixed a case where players could get stuck in tc_hydro
Fixed player movement prediction errors
Fixed third-person sniper aim animation not matching player's view exactly
Fixed achievements and stats being awarded when watching other player's demos
Fixed rare server crash due to data corruption in networking
Fixed a case where some sounds had incorrect volumes

As a 16:10 user, I thought my FOV was already adjusted to be larger than normal. However, even at 1680x1050, the default fov is 75. I'm not sure why anyone would use 75. I switched it to 90 and gained a wider angle of view, which I thought was already suppose to be wider since I have a WS monitor? 90 is definitely preferably to me. And disabling of player sprays is good in my book... I've always hated those things.

I'm not sure how the demoman change will affect things. I never really played him as he is one of the harder classes to get good at. I don't believe the Pyro is drastically better now (I still don't see much people play him)... he needed some change for the better so I'm glad he got it. The Scout's scattergun has always seemed very strong to me, compared to TF1 especially. Overall, I like the changes they made in the patches so far. I still believe a little more tweaking should be done, but the weak Pyro was my biggest complaint so hopefully he is a little better now.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: duragezic
September 28, 2007 - Current Release

Changes/Additions
Added option to change Field-of-view, between 75 & 90, from the Options->Multiplayer tab
Added option to disable Player sprays
Increased flamethrower damage at point black range
Bug fixes
Fixed flamethrower hit detection
Fixed a startup crash
Fixed a case where players could get stuck in tc_hydro
Fixed player movement prediction errors
Fixed third-person sniper aim animation not matching player's view exactly
Fixed achievements and stats being awarded when watching other player's demos
Fixed rare server crash due to data corruption in networking
Fixed a case where some sounds had incorrect volumes

As a 16:10 user, I thought my FOV was already adjusted to be larger than normal. However, even at 1680x1050, the default fov is 75. I'm not sure why anyone would use 75. I switched it to 90 and gained a wider angle of view, which I thought was already suppose to be wider since I have a WS monitor? 90 is definitely preferably to me. And disabling of player sprays is good in my book... I've always hated those things.

I'm not sure how the demoman change will affect things. I never really played him as he is one of the harder classes to get good at. I don't believe the Pyro is drastically better now (I still don't see much people play him)... he needed some change for the better so I'm glad he got it. The Scout's scattergun has always seemed very strong to me, compared to TF1 especially. Overall, I like the changes they made in the patches so far. I still believe a little more tweaking should be done, but the weak Pyro was my biggest complaint so hopefully he is a little better now.

Thanks for that. I'm a 16:10 guy myself, so I'll have to check out my FOV when I get home. The Pyro definitely seems stronger now and I have seen a greater number of them around recently, which is a good thing.

KT

Oil

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2005
Originally posted by: OSx86
I don't know if this was covered earlier in the thread but I see that you can purchase TF2 for $30. Does this come with the beta like Orange Box does?

Never mind since it won't let me purchase it yet even though there is a purchase button

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

/me does a little dance :)

This should help me get into TF2 cos I'm still clueless about it and feeling like I'm wearing blinkers doesn't help.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I swear there's other changes that haven't been documented. I hadn't played in a few days but i'm dying by tons more 1 shot kills. I think they upped damage on explosive but lowered damage on regular guns, except the scout gun, which got a boost as well.

for instance, i played as a heavy today and i was getting hit by rockets that would take me down to 30 health in 1 hit. i rarely played heavy but i never had this happen.

Same with demoman nades.

the scout shotgun can kill in 1 shot now as well.

the eng. shotty used to be able to kill spies in 2 shots. now it takes 4 or more.

spies seem to move faster as well.

sentry guns don't seem to do as much damage and they seem a lot weaker in health.

heavy's gun used to mow people down, now it seems weak.

the thing that pisses me off though, is that i can never duplicate what the enemies do to me. i shot a heavy at almost point blank with 4 rockets and he was still a live (no medic).
how do i get thrown down to 30 hp after 1 rocket but the enemy lives through 4?

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Scouzer
TF2 or Fortress Forever, what's better?

TF2 by a long shot. Even though TF2 is currently a beta and FF is an official release, TF2 is far more fun, more balanced, more polished, etc etc.. FF felt like it was thrown together at the last minute just to get out the door before TF2 could.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Sraaz
You got hit by a crit.

I can't imagine it would happen that often, could it?

Criticals happen very often. I keep getting killed by them unexpectedly. One crit rocket in the face and I'm dead.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Anybody here a member on the steam forums?
Having problems with stuttering in the game?

Pull down your console and type "snd_restart"
It'll probably fix it.

I'd post this here but frankly I don't feel like registering on yet another forum... especially when all the people there seem to do is whine. :p

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Mutilator
Anybody here a member on the steam forums?
Having problems with stuttering in the game?

Pull down your console and type "snd_restart"
It'll probably fix it.

I'd post this here but frankly I don't feel like registering on yet another forum... especially when all the people there seem to do is whine. :p

Posted for you.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: dighn
Originally posted by: Sraaz
You got hit by a crit.

I can't imagine it would happen that often, could it?

Criticals happen very often. I keep getting killed by them unexpectedly. One crit rocket in the face and I'm dead.

Yeah IDK what triggers the Critical rockets,shots,nades,ect but it seems to happen every 6-8 shots.

Anyone know?

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I think critical hits have something to do with your momentum on the scoreboard. So if you're kicking ass, you have a very good chance of getting critical hits on your shots. I get them VERY often, and they're very helpful for say the sniper's machinepistol against a pyro or demo as I have no other way to kill such classes in close range. But sometimes I can have just started a game (maybe have a few kills and a death, an assist or two, etc) and I notice I'm getting a lot of critical hits already.

I guess that's why a single rocket or single pipebomb has killed me fairly often (even as a class with more health than sniper), or even one hit from the scout's gun.

arredondo

Sep 17, 2004
^^^ Ain't that wierd? I was just sitting here thinking about taking a vacation day to play more wiith no interruptions :p.

Vampirrella

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
So is the full game out alrdy then? Im confused. Is this the beta or the full version? I read it wasnt out till oct 10th or something? If I "pre-order" is this the full game we get to d/l from steam or kind of a demo version untill oct 10th when we d/l the rest of the full product?

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
this is an open beta to anyone who preorders the orange box.

But I think it is the full game, but they are still calling it a beta just in case. I havn't found any bugs at all yet.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I think critical hits have something to do with your momentum on the scoreboard. So if you're kicking ass, you have a very good chance of getting critical hits on your shots. I get them VERY often, and they're very helpful for say the sniper's machinepistol against a pyro or demo as I have no other way to kill such classes in close range. But sometimes I can have just started a game (maybe have a few kills and a death, an assist or two, etc) and I notice I'm getting a lot of critical hits already.

I guess that's why a single rocket or single pipebomb has killed me fairly often (even as a class with more health than sniper), or even one hit from the scout's gun.

in a way thats kind of dumb but makes sense. its dumb because people who are doing well don't need to get a boost to help them do better. but it is like a reward for doing well.

the guy owning me now gets to do it 2x faster! yay!