TF2 beta with Orange Box Pre-Order

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PsharkJF

Jul 12, 2004
Am I the only one that sees three pages on this thread, but it always goes back to pg2?

I heart TF2, though.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Yep, this game is awesome.

Haven't had this much fun in multiplayer in quite a while. Even though I've not had much time or felt like playing much games lately, this is one where I'm at school all day just wanting to get home to play! Hmm... just like right now... :|

Somehow, even playing sniper 99% of the time on 2fort 99% of the time, it doesn't get old. :) I plan to play more classes and maps soon; it's just rather satisfying to headshot fatties and headshot people in midair.

edit: I like the style. And other than TF2, I don't like that style really, but the gameplay is what matters, and as soon as I first played, I could tell they did the whole style damn near perfect. Really, everything is just great.

Oh man... someone needs to re-make that border crossing map that TF had. Hahaha, that was pointless but hella fun. The guys trying to cross had like no weapons so it sucked being on that team. But mowing them down was a lot of fun. :D

edit2: For anyone curious, my understanding is that multicore support is not enabled in the TF2 beta, but I believe it will be for TF2, Ep2, and Portal on release. I think Valve has said that older Source games can be updated to the Source 2007 engine, but that the original engine, the Ep1 engine, and the 2007 engine are not compatible. What I read was that Valve does plan to update older games like CS:S, Ep1, DoD:S, HL2, and HL2-DM to the Source 2007 engine (which includes multicore support, as well as graphics enhancements) but that will be in the coming months. I don't even know if they have their multicore support working; some people speculate that it doesn't work yet so that is why it's disabled. But if it's broke, it's not going to get fixed in two weeks. I'm thinking it will end up being pretty damn good support, especially since Source is more CPU bound that most games. I hope more people license the engine, as when it came out in 2004 I figured it'd be the engine to use, but hardly anyone has used it.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
I notice that all of the guns look black on my computer... is it supposed to be like that or does my graphics card just blow?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Kev
I notice that all of the guns look black on my computer... is it supposed to be like that or does my graphics card just blow?

screenshot?

also, can anyone get a 1 shot kill via had shot or is that sniper only?
When you are disguised when you play a spy, what weapons does he enemy see you holding? like if I have my knife out and i'm disguised as a soldier, do they see the shovel or the rocket launcher??

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004

When you are disguised when you play a spy, what weapons does he enemy see you holding? like if I have my knife out and i'm disguised as a soldier, do they see the shovel or the rocket launcher??

Head shots aren't garunteed kills. They only do extra damage although a fully charged one will be a 1 shot affair (even on a medic healed heavy
not uber though)). I don't think other classes get their headshots tracked. That and it'd be rediculus if I could needle someone in the head and instant kill them with a medic. I'm pretty sure you show their primary weapon no matter which weapon you pull out.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu

Head shots aren't garunteed kills. They only do extra damage although a fully charged one will be a 1 shot affair (even on a medic healed heavy
not uber though)). I don't think other classes get their headshots tracked. That and it'd be rediculus if I could needle someone in the head and instant kill them with a medic. I'm pretty sure you show their primary weapon no matter which weapon you pull out.

I've never been able to one shot kill a Heavy, even with a fully charged headshot. Every other class, yes, but not the heavy. Maybe it's just me though.

KT

krotchy

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu

I've never been able to one shot kill a Heavy, even with a fully charged headshot. Every other class, yes, but not the heavy. Maybe it's just me though.

KT

If you have 100% charge you can 1 shot a heavy who has 450 health from a medic. Only at 100% though and it has to be dead on. Ive done it a few times, and had it happen to me on a couple of occasions.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: duragezic

edit2: For anyone curious, my understanding is that multicore support is not enabled in the TF2 beta, but I believe it will be for TF2, Ep2, and Portal on release. I think Valve has said that older Source games can be updated to the Source 2007 engine, but that the original engine, the Ep1 engine, and the 2007 engine are not compatible. What I read was that Valve does plan to update older games like CS:S, Ep1, DoD:S, HL2, and HL2-DM to the Source 2007 engine (which includes multicore support, as well as graphics enhancements) but that will be in the coming months. I don't even know if they have their multicore support working; some people speculate that it doesn't work yet so that is why it's disabled. But if it's broke, it's not going to get fixed in two weeks. I'm thinking it will end up being pretty damn good support, especially since Source is more CPU bound that most games. I hope more people license the engine, as when it came out in 2004 I figured it'd be the engine to use, but hardly anyone has used it.

Where did you get this information, I'd like to read up on it a bit. Thanks =)

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I believe that was all things I gathered from various posts on the Steam forums. Some of it was quotes of emails or whatever from Valve, so I think at least some of it is not just speculation. :)

Sorry I don't have links off hand... it was just from some random threads on the official forums.

edit: Here is a link on the topic... one I hadn't seen yet. Unfortunately, it seems to say that the dual core won't gain much. For some reason, TF2 runs at like 30fps most of the time at 1680x1050, medium-high details, 8x AF, no motion blur, HDR fully on. I've seen almost everyone say that TF2 ran pretty much as well as CS:S did for them. i.e. people with a 6800GS or X800XL were getting as good of performance as I do. I know it runs better on ATI cards, but still... I was hoping good dual core support would boost my FPS.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex

A spy backstab is one hit kill. I was playing heavy last night for a change of pace (instead of healing them all the time) and a spy flanked us and got my medic, then me, with two backstabs.

As a spy, you run around with the slot 1 weapon of whatever class you're disguised as.

I found a good use for a spare heavy on Gravel Pit last night. When you're down to the last capture point, if you camp out at the top of the first ramp to the tower and keep your minigun spinning, you can shoot anyone running up to the top of the platform (where engineers typically set up sentry guns). You effectively function as a SG that shoots everything and as long as FF is off, you'll kill every spy who tries to run up there. That ramp is a choke point to the tower and you can keep it sealed off by yourself pretty easily. You can move side to side to avoid enemies entering from point A or B at the sides that might shoot at you just standing there. With your back to the wall, spies can't backstab you.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
They are removing the variable too that lets you turn it on or off on your own server? That's absolutely ridiculous.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
From what I read... FF will be OFF on every server (not ON)... which is how TF is supposed to be.

The Sly Syl

Jun 3, 2005
Friendly Fire being "on" scares the hell out of me for TF2. It's just far too chaotic of a game to have it on standard.

think of the children!

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I can't imagine playing wityh FF on, aside from maybe a round or two here or there, just for fun. Also it would make the Spy much more powerful.

KT

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
I played last night with FF on for the first time. Played a good 2 hours on that server, I really liked it. Made the spy worth using since you had to think before shooting at least a little bit. Not a big deal either way, but it was fun for a change.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Mutilator
From what I read... FF will be OFF on every server (not ON)... which is how TF is supposed to be.
Yeah, I read it incorrectly the first time. Yeah for reading comprehension skills :D

I think I'm going to pick up a headset mic from Newegg that will clip to my Sennheisers. Zalman makes one for about $11 shipped if anyone else is in the market for a microphone who already has nice headphones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16836501002

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
I was on Hydro last night. Unfortunately I don't know the map at all and the FOV combined with the lack of open spaces made it feel extremely claustrophobic, especially after an hour of Quake Wars :( It wasn't so bad on the level with the trains but the view still feels cramped.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
One thing I would like to change (and there are not many things I want to change in this game) is to be able to turn off the zoom-in to the guy that killed me after I die, particularly when I am playing a new class I am not proficient at. I mean, I know I suck, I don't need the game to remind me of that everytime I die. :p

Other than that I am still loving the game. Tried playing the Medic for a bit last night and really enjoyed it. I felt kind of screwed when confronted by a Heavy or Soldier one-on-one (that needle gun seems to to do very little in the way of damage), but I like the assisting/healing aspect of the class.

KT

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
new patch out for TF2 and it says this:

Demoman grenades (not stickybombs) no longer explode on contact after the first bounce

what exactly does that mean? i'm not sure i ever even saw that happen.

they always exploded on the 2nd bounce or only when contacting an enemy?

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004

Demoman grenades (not stickybombs) no longer explode on contact after the first bounce

Lets say there is a sentry around a corner.

Before the patch, a demoman could bounce a grenade off the wall and if it hit the sentry, it would explode and do damage.

After the patch, if a demoman bounces a grenade off the wall and it his a sentry, it will not explode. It will only explode after whatever the time limit is. Same thing applies if a demoman bounces the grenade off the ground or wall into an enemy. It will no longer explode on contact.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
IMO they shouldn't have done that to the demo man... now if your nade hits the ground, then bounces up and hits someone it harmlessly goes through them. If you don't hit them direct the nade does nothing. :(
So now today everyone switched away from the neutered demoman... to the now stronger pyro.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: mb

Lets say there is a sentry around a corner.

Before the patch, a demoman could bounce a grenade off the wall and if it hit the sentry, it would explode and do damage.

After the patch, if a demoman bounces a grenade off the wall and it his a sentry, it will not explode. It will only explode after whatever the time limit is. Same thing applies if a demoman bounces the grenade off the ground or wall into an enemy. It will no longer explode on contact.

ok, wow, that is fucking retarded. why the hell would they do that?

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
I dunno.. I spent a while as demoman and found him just as effective.

But I was also doing REALLY great as a soldier: dominating.jpg
At one point I was dominating 9 players at once! Sadly my stats page doesn't show that :-\