TF2 beta with Orange Box Pre-Order

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

banksh0t

Jun 4, 2004
Originally posted by: archcommus
Originally posted by: banksh0t
Anyone having trouble running TF2? My computer locks up every time i join a game. I can play CS:S and DoD:S all on max settings and i have no problem. Its driving me crazy that i can't play. I have a P4 3.2 1gig ram and a X800XT. Its an old system i know but it shouldn't have any trouble playing TF2. I even deleted TF2 and re-downloaded it to see if that would change anything. Anyone have any ideas?
First time I played it was great for over a half hour. The past two times I've played it's been locking up. Not locking up like running slow, but locking up like totally freezing and having to restart my system. I have an A64 3200+, gig of RAM, X800 XL. When it IS running, it runs plenty smooth on the highest settings. Just every so often it will start to stutter and then it's irrecoverable.

Yea... as soon as i join a game it will lock up and i'll have to restart my system. I can't even ctrl+alt+del out of it.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Anyone having trouble running TF2? My computer locks up every time i join a game. I can play CS:S and DoD:S all on max settings and i have no problem. Its driving me crazy that i can't play. I have a P4 3.2 1gig ram and a X800XT. Its an old system i know but it shouldn't have any trouble playing TF2. I even deleted TF2 and re-downloaded it to see if that would change anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Try the latest video drivers and turn down graphic settings. That's about all that I can think of to recommend at this point. It is still a beta, after all. ;)

Also try to be patient. Loading times for TF2 are longer than CS and DOD.

banksh0t

Jun 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Balt

Try the latest video drivers and turn down graphic settings. That's about all that I can think of to recommend at this point. It is still a beta, after all. ;)

Also try to be patient. Loading times for TF2 are longer than CS and DOD.

i updated the drivers to the latest... i think its Catalyst 7.9. I also set all the settings to low and was running it in 800x600 and it still locks up. Man its driving me crazy!

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
This game is fun! I like what they did with the classes. Now NONE of them suck. Even the scout can dish out some serious pwnage. I'm really starting to hate the spies though.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: duragezic
I wish there was more CTF maps (hopefully there will be on release). With about 6-8 hours of playtime, I've played 2fort exclusively for all but 20 minutes of that time which was on some CP map. I didn't like the CP map. What happened to well, rock, and all the classic TF maps that they could've simply remade. I know they have well but it's not CTF and it's been a long time, but it doesn't seem that similar to the old one.

Sniper is pretty much the only class I've played much of. I was quite good with him in TF and he's still very capable in this one. And playing 2fort, he's very useful. I've gotten to becoming better at playing defense with the sniper in various areas other than the standard sniper areas. When there is 2 fatties coming with a medic behind, a sniper is one of the best to pick off the medic then get a fully charged critical hit to the head of a fatty. So when people bitch about wanting me to change to something else... well I'm not strictly sitting up there shooting at enemy snipers... I'm very effective at defense with him. I've always gotten crazy lucky shots with him in TF and it happens a lot now. I love when the scouts do a double jump to get on the bridge except the double jump keeps them in the air even longer so it's easy to hit them (even a fully charged hit to the feet will kill them I think).

Still, I have to play some other classes more. I've never liked fatties, pyro sucks, demo doesn't seem as good as in TF but it hard to master, soldier's RL isn't nearly as good as TF but I've seen 1 or 2 players who are awesome. I used to be quite good as a combat medic primarily in a TF clan but his weapon in TF2 completely sucks. The Super Nailgun as well as the super shotgun were awesome for him in TF. In TF2, you can be a combat engineer (think he's a little too powerful). I'm not a big fan of the spy and he's not very good for teamplay except when the other team has a couple of really good snipers that can't be touched as a sniper. I know... spies piss me of the most as a sniper, so they can be good, but the fact that 3-5 out of 12 people on a team are spies commonly is far too much.

edit: I tend to keep on eye on spies because of getting annoyed by them. So people like me will tend to someone figure you (pontifex) out, but I've seen some spies that are just really good and ALWAYS somehow get you without you having a clue. The fact that they don't bleed in TF2 when you shoot them makes it harder, but I still ALWAYS shoot any somewhat suspicious guy, because what a lot of the less experienced spies do is attack me as soon as I shoot them, thus proving it. I only shoot a couple machinepistol rounds at them to check, so the ones who just take the damage but don't attack me will often get by me. The only true giveaway is when they are named you. :)

Also, this should be obvious, but only disguise as someone who has a similar running speed. Seeing a HWGuy moving so fast is a dead giveaway, and Scouts are so damn fast that I'd notice a slow Scout. As said, use the cloak to get into their base, cause teammates running into your own base raises suspicion. Engineer is a common disguise, sniper can be good too.

disguised as the sniper worked really well for me the earlier today.
i assumed that as a spy, once i got shot, i was undisguised.

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
Originally posted by: pontifex
my question is why aren't people crying about the cartoony graphics like they cried about WoW's "cartoony" graphics?

I don't give a damn if the graphics are cartoony or not, as long as the game is fun. Graphics be damned. Nothing like a great looking, piss poor game to make you happy, eh? (the last Doom for example).

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Bonesdad
my question is why aren't people crying about the cartoony graphics like they cried about WoW's "cartoony" graphics?

I don't give a damn if the graphics are cartoony or not, as long as the game is fun. Graphics be damned. Nothing like a great looking, piss poor game to make you happy, eh? (the last Doom for example).

Yeah I personally like the gfx myself it has a nice and different look to it. I don't think the game would be as fun if it had more realistic gfx. I think it was a good move IMO.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
I've put about 3.5 hours in... my brother and cousin put in a few more.

I like it. The graphics tie in to the gameplay very well, and honestly, I probably wouldn't play the game if it was super realistic. I kind of prefer cartoony graphics. The class I've played the most is medic. Partly because my aim SUCKS and partly because it's fun to heal. A few times on the CTF map I'd pop the invul on the flag runner and he'd totally mop up. :D

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
so why do the graphics matter for WoW but not for TF2? WoW was using the style from WC3 and thats how blizzard wanted it.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
so why do the graphics matter for WoW but not for TF2? WoW was using the style from WC3 and thats how blizzard wanted it.

Because TF2 did more for the cartoony effect than just making ugly blocky models and bright colors everywhere.

Extrarius

Jul 8, 2001
I never commented about WoW's graphics because I've never found an MMO worth my time (much less my money), but TF2's style has earned it the name "Toon Fortress" in my circle and none of us plan to play it. When I, personally, say "Graphics don't matter", I'm talking about graphics technology - old-tech graphics like those of the SNES can look great, but it can be bad too. It's the style of art that makes it good or bad, not the technology. The style used for TF2 is ridiculous, and it really, really ruins the half-serious entirely-jest feel that the original TFC had. That's why, like I said earlier, I'm looking forward to the already-out Fortress Forever instead (looking forward to as in as soon as I'm gifted HL2, I'l be playing it)

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Originally posted by: Extrarius
The style used for TF2 is ridiculous, and it really, really ruins the half-serious entirely-jest feel that the original TFC had.

That sentence just seems to contradict itself. Not having played TF2 yet I can't comment too much but I think the new format (from what I've seen) works perfectly with the ideas in TFC.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Is there a way to force the resolution, like adding Width:1920 Height:1200 at the end of the .exe or something like that?

Right-click 'Team Fortress 2' in Steam and click 'Properties'
Click 'Set launch options...'
Paste this string in, customising your width, height and refresh values:

-fullscreen -width 1440 -height 900 -refresh 60

I had to do this in order to get past the first game loading screen without a CTD.

I've always had some stuttering and a bit of a freeze up when changing resolutions on the video menu in Source games. It usually takes about 10 seconds to wake up and change. Quake Wars does it instantly (FTW!) so I guess it's an engine issue.

Thank you so much! That totally worked! The game looks even better now.

After playing all of the classes for a good amount of time, I still suck royally with the Spy and Demoman. Everything else I do ok with, though Heavy and Soldier are my best.

The more I play the Engineer, the more I grow to like that class, but I am still getting an overall feel for how best to do things, which also seems to change on a map-by-map basis.

One thing I can say, is I have not played Crysis once since I started playing TF2! :Q

KT

Extrarius

Jul 8, 2001
Originally posted by: RandomFool
The style used for TF2 is ridiculous, and it really, really ruins the half-serious entirely-jest feel that the original TFC had.

That sentence just seems to contradict itself. Not having played TF2 yet I can't comment too much but I think the new format (from what I've seen) works perfectly with the ideas in TFC.
TFC didn't say "Hey look at me I'm really funny!", it just WAS funny (partly because it was overly serious about silly things). TF2 looks like it's begging people to find it funny, like it wants a pity laugh because it's not funny even though it's trying way too hard. Pleading for a laugh just makes it look pathetic, not funny.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000

TFC didn't say "Hey look at me I'm really funny!", it just WAS funny (partly because it was overly serious about silly things). TF2 looks like it's begging people to find it funny, like it wants a pity laugh because it's not funny even though it's trying way too hard. Pleading for a laugh just makes it look pathetic, not funny.

I can understand that opinion, because I was worried about that as well before I played it.

After having spent some time playing it, however, I really think it fits in the with the gameplay. And despite the cartoonish look, when you see someone splat into gibs you kinda realize that even though the characters look like they are from a Pixar movie, this is not a game for kiddies.

Also I must add for that someone who has to run the game on low-medium graphics because I don't have a top-of-the-line system, the game looks really great.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001

I'm inclined to agree. They try TOO hard to be funny. TFC was a funny game already, and this is over the top.

Still though, it plays like TFC so it's still awesome.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
So Oct. 10th is the release date? Anyone know how many more maps there will be? I really need more CTF maps. I don't care for the other types. Will there be more game modes?

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
So Oct. 10th is the release date? Anyone know how many more maps there will be? I really need more CTF maps. I don't care for the other types. Will there be more game modes?

The beta is the full game as far as I know. There won't be any new maps when the Orange Box is officially released. Valve said they wanted to release a handful of really refined, fun maps rather than a massive quantity of mediocre maps. People only end up playing a handful of maps anyway.

I can't believe you don't like Capture maps - I never used to like it either but these maps are amazing. I always have a good time playing and find it more interesting than CTF.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
only 4 or 5 maps? and only 1 ctf? wtf??

I don't hate the capture maps, i just like ctf better.

Ok, i've just decided that spies are almost worthless. no matter how you blend in, everyone is shooting at everyone because they think they might be spies. And with such abundant ammo, why the heck not? there's no worrying about conserving ammo, especially if you're in your own base. The only way I can see making the spy really effective is to give unlimited cloaking.

It's a shame too, because the spy is one one of my favorite classes.

Another spy qurstion I have though is when you are disguised, what weapon shows up in your hand? is it always the main weapon or dos it go by whatever item slot you have in use is the equivalent of what the disguise class has? Like if i have my knife out and i'm disguised as a eng, do the enemy players see the wrench or the shotgun?

I like the engineer also, but it's dificult to gauge when he'll be useful. for instance, i build a sentry in one choke point, but the enemy never comes. you're almost married to your buildings also. if you leave, they might get sapped, but if you don't, you might not get any points that map.

The demoman needs a normal gun instead of 2 grenade guns. he's fucking worthless if you have to actually fight someone 1 vs. 1.

Nikamichi

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2003

CTF is what TFC was all about. Is there really only one map?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Nikamichi

CTF is what TFC was all about. Is there really only one map?

so far. 2fort is the only ctf map right now

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
TFC was about more than CTF. Dustbowl was there for example, and it was awesome.

Ok, i've just decided that spies are almost worthless. no matter how you blend in, everyone is shooting at everyone because they think they might be spies.

Well, playing a spy for a prolonged period of time and/or having many makes the other team go paranoid. So I don't think it's best to play spy for a long time in one game. Friendly Fire server makes it easier since it isn't such a good idea to shoot all your teammates checking for spies.

Then you learn more tricks to blend in. Besides cloaking to get behind enemy lines, you can charge in calling for a medic - perhaps fooling them into thinking you're a retreating ally who needs a heal. Change disguises, but make sure you're using one of a class they have multiple players of that moves at the same speed as a spy if possible. Eng is often good since he has an excuse to be running in many directions.

I know it's subjective, but I think the style fits perfectly. The characters have so much personality, it adds a lot. They feel very alive. This wouldn't have worked as a serious game anyhow just by how it plays, without completely changing the game play. Being at the separating gate before it opens in Dustbowl and playing the taunts between teams is just hilarious.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Played it for 20 hours since Wednesday. Most multiplayer fun I've ever had ever. It's leaps and bounds above TFC.