Texas Passes Merry Christmas Bill To Fight War On Christmas

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
I finally figured out whom Unintelligible reminds me of. It's those neanderthal-like aliens on Star Trek who kidnap La Forge and spend the rest of the episode saying "We're smart!" over and over again.

hACB1C7DA

Apr 27, 2012
I finally figured out whom Unintelligible reminds me of. It's those neanderthal-like aliens on Star Trek who kidnap La Forge and spend the rest of the episode saying "We're smart!" over and over again.

It's Incorruptible and I am one of the few members here who supports and defends the US Constitution.

Apr 27, 2012
Then shouldn't they go to private school to celebrate religious holidays as well? I don't get your double standard here.

I wasn't talking about Christmas though. Christmas is different. I know many minorities who aren't Christians and they celebrate Christmas. I was referring to Muslim students wanting to pray in class are free to go to private school.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I wasn't talking about Christmas though. Christmas is different. I know many minorities who aren't Christians and they celebrate Christmas. I was referring to Muslim students wanting to pray in class are free to go to private school.

So Christians are free to pray in class? Or should they go to private school to? So celebrating religious holidays is OK in school but practicing one's faith is not ok? BTW when I say "in class" I don't mean during instruction time.

Apr 27, 2012
So Christians are free to pray in class? Or should they go to private school to? So celebrating religious holidays is OK in school but practicing one's faith is not ok? BTW when I say "in class" I don't mean during instruction time.

Nobody should pray in class. Do it before or after school. To most people Christmas isn't even a religious holiday and I just stated many minorities celebrate Christmas.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
There is no war on christianity, there is a war on being PC and its a probably a little excessive. The thing is, is it a valid point? Teachers saying Merry Christmas should be fine or happy hannuka or aslam malik. Displaying certain religious icons shouldn't be involved at school. Nativity, jesus on the cross, buddha or anything else. The one thing that is overlooked is christianity forced itself onto the American public to begin with, for example, US currency, or the pledge of allegiance. Maybe this 'war' on christianity is just bringing things back to the status quo?

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
But lets be honest, the same people who want christmas forced into the school system are the same people who want sex ed removed and evolution banned...

LightPattern

Feb 18, 2013
While I'm neither from Texas nor a lawyer, I'm going to guess that schools are using generic terms like "Seasons Greetings" and "Holiday Tree" for reasons of inclusiveness, not fear of a lawsuit.

And if your true intent is to free teachers and schools about backlash from parents and communities (or even lawsuits), then pass a law that allows mention and/or celebrating the full range of holidays, not just Judeo-Christian ones. A teacher should be able to wish her students a Happy Diwali, Wikkan Feast of Mabon, Buddha's Nirvana Day, or anything else that might be relevant to them.

Fear of lawsuits changes the culture in schools as well as private institutions like businesses.

I fully agree teachers should be able to act within their own faith and interact with students without fear of lawsuits relating to inclusiveness or other perceived ideological slights. If a student or parent feels a teacher isn't being inclusive - complain to the Principal or school board about it! The courtroom is the wrong place for such discussions.

LightPattern

Feb 18, 2013
Maybe this 'war' on christianity is just bringing things back to the status quo?

What 'status quo'? Religion is part culture. Name one culture completely free of it?
Being PC is a constant pain in the ass because it's an impossible standard, statements can always be interpreted in offensive ways.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
Founding fathers is the status quo. Separation, complete separation of church and state

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
They only do this to Christmas and not the other religions. You don't like Christians do you?

You are wrong, we are moving in on the Spring Solstice too so its not just Christmas. We are even gaining traction with "holiday eggs"!! All of your stolen holidays are belong to us!!!!

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
NO they shouldn't pray in class.

But YOUR religious terms SHOULD be used in class.

We all know that you don't respect the constitution and would love nothing more than to legislate your religion into law and ban other religions that scare you, constitution be damned.

Shrug, I don't mind. I find it funny that you think this is some sort of win and that it will actually prevent or stop lawsuits. I only wish that I could see your face after the first lawsuits roll in, and they most definitely will now just to prove a point, and you see this for your own eyes.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
It's Incorruptible and I am one of the few members here who supports and defends the US Constitution.

Bullmotherfuckingshit

You ONLY support the constitution when it agrees with you. When you don't like what it is being used for you completely disagree and this has been proven time and time again.