Texas governor rescinds mask mandate and all COVID restrictions

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Because we did such a great job when we became the world COVID epicenter in the summer last time he got rid of mask mandates. Literally the next day mask compliance went from 90% to 40% in grocery stores in my area. God damn Republiqans always taking the side of the virus over the side of the people.

• Wow
Reactions: gradoman

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Not surprised at all, though honestly, as someone who has had the vaccine, I am somewhat happy. At least they will only kill each other and not me most likely.

Reactions: Thump553

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

Because we did such a great job when we became the world COVID epicenter in the summer last time he got rid of mask mandates. Literally the next day mask compliance went from 90% to 40% in grocery stores in my area. God damn Republiqans always taking the side of the virus over the side of the people.
As I’ve said elsewhere, guess he decided not enough people were dying for freedumb.

Good news is if cases start to skyrocket he can go on Fox and blame the Biden administration for deaths

.... oh and the green new deal.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah fuck that. I have been going out a lot more lately in NYC - to museums with masks on and timed entrances, done outdoor dining a bunch and even did indoor dining on Valentine's day. But I would not be comfortable with going to crowded stores all the time with most people not wearing masks. We've gotten this far. If shit goes south in Texas and they ask for help, if I was Biden I'd just say no.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Man Republicans are dumb as shit. How do they not understand that mask mandates help businesses stay open allows more people to use them. Texas is also in the bottom four states for vaccination and is a complete cluster fuck.

The numbers only seem decent now because they were so awful a few months ago.

Reactions: zinfamous

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Man Republicans are dumb as shit. How do they not understand that mask mandates help businesses stay open allows more people to use them. Texas is also in the bottom four states for vaccination and is a complete cluster fuck.

The numbers only seem decent now because they were so awful a few months ago.
And that storm put a damper on them crawling all over their extended family members.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Anyone in Texas who hasn't been vaccinated yet needs to jump the line now.

I would not blame a soul who decides to falsely attest they have an eligible condition because this state is so insanely irresponsible at every turn.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Sad when you refuse to operate your state on fact based data.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It's worthwhile to keep in mind that one of the other issues in regard to the Coronavirus is the emergence of potentially more viral mutations like the B.1.1.7 variant that we've been seeing more in the US. I recall hearing some murmurs that they are not sure yet if the vaccine is as effective against the mutated strains, so... it might be a good idea to exercise caution still.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
So I guess Abbott has found a way to keep interstate commerce and travel from spreading the virus in Texas outward toward its neighboring states and vice versa.

No you say? So then Abbott doesn't give a shit if neighboring states are affected by his recklessness then. Sounds so Republicanish doesn't it?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
So I guess Abbott has found a way to keep interstate commerce and travel from spreading the virus in Texas outward toward its neighboring states and vice versa.

No you say? So then Abbott doesn't give a shit if neighboring states are affected by his recklessness then. Sounds so Republicanish doesn't it?
They really took ole Kris Kristofferson song to heart. ....nothing left to lose....

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It's worthwhile to keep in mind that one of the other issues in regard to the Coronavirus is the emergence of potentially more viral mutations like the B.1.1.7 variant that we've been seeing more in the US. I recall hearing some murmurs that they are not sure yet if the vaccine is as effective against the mutated strains, so... it might be a good idea to exercise caution still.

The vaccines work against 117. The problem is that Texas, for example, only has 13% of people with at least one shot so far so inviting a much more infectious variant to run rampant in whatever is left of the naive population is flatly gambling with peoples lives.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Wow, so it's like they knew what Biden's press conference was going to be about "Keep wearing masks" and practice social distancing.

Pubs love salting wounds.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Red state governors will be bursting into testing labs to gargle COVID samples by the end of the week at this rate.
Waiting for them to beg the feds for help. And of course they will get bailed out because the Dems aren't spineless pieces of shit

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Waiting for them to beg the feds for help. And of course they will get bailed out because the Dems aren't spineless pieces of shit

Texas has been hurt since it's very dependent on sales taxes and they've made a huge show about how the state is more fiscally responsible than CA who's actually had a windfall. Performative self-destructive horseshit is practically a religion down here.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Thank Trump for politicizing the pandemic. My heart breaks to think of the deaths that could have been avoided if he simply told his base"The virus is real and though it's a pain in the butt, we gotta wear these masks to keep our countrymen safe."