Texas Cheereaders Win Right To Display Banners With Biblical Quotes

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 27, 2012
[/B]So? The cheerleaders are representatives of the school during the football game, because they belong to a school sponsored team/club and are participating in a school-sanctioned event.

Distance has never stopped your vitriol for Muslims.

So you think they shouldn't be able to have the banners?

Dec 10, 2005
So you think they shouldn't be able to have the banners?

Yes, I don't think they should be able to display those relgion-oriented banners in their official capacity as cheerleaders for the public school. I'd probably be okay if it was Joe and Jane Student in the crowd though.

Apr 27, 2012
Yes, I don't think they should be able to display those relgion-oriented banners in their official capacity as cheerleaders for the public school. I'd probably be okay if it was Joe and Jane Student in the crowd though.

Then are you alright with students wearing burkas and praying in school?

Dec 10, 2005
Then are you alright with students wearing burkas and praying in school?

I have no problem with people that want to wear burkas or need to take time out of their day to privately pray (regardless of religion). As long as they aren't imposing on the freedom of other students to pray or not to pray, there isn't really a problem.

But then again, I also don't have a persecution complex or have an irrational fear of Muslims.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
This is definitely a win for Christianity and if only more judges were as reasoned as this guy.

Thank you for proving a point that I was attempting to make earlier.

You don't care about actual freedom or you would have said this is a win for EVERYONE and/or freedom because freedom is actually a win for everyone. Instead, this is a win for your side, regardless if its "right" or not, and that is the only reason you support it. Had this been Muslims and the judge went the other way denying them the ability to promote Islam you would also be in agreement with the judge.

But its ok, as bad as you Christians have been getting your ass kicked in this war on Christianity if some small irrelevant "win" like this makes you happy then I am all for it. See you next Winter Solstice!!

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
The reason I didn't respond to them was because they want it for Muslims but not Christians. Any links to these Muslim cheerleaders?

The majority of Americans are Christian so by that the US is a Christian country and I am not talking about the Constitution.

Does that mean we are going to be a "Latino Country" in a few years? Or does it only work that way with religion?

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Could you please point out this supposed bigotry of Christianity that you are accusing him of? Thanks in advance.

Awe the exbanned parody troll can't keep on script any longer can he? LOL What a sad, pathetic, little boy this freak is.

Get A Fucking Life Loser.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The reason I didn't respond to them was because they want it for Muslims but not Christians. Any links to these Muslim cheerleaders?

The majority of Americans are Christian so by that the US is a Christian country and I am not talking about the Constitution.

Hey dumb ass, please post an exact quote where I said it was OK for Muslims and not for Christians. I'll be waiting....

If you can find your way home on the short bus you ride.

You're just to much of a chickenshit to really own up to your beliefs. Barry Goldwater would be sad.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I think we're all getting pretty tired of Liberals trying to force their opinions on what religion we and the state can and can't practice. If they just accepted Jesus and the word of the lord as the primary and only religion of consequence on public ground we wouldn't have any trouble.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Still waiting for xBiffx to explain to me how my first post in this thread that he quoted was what he thought it was.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
I'm Christian and do have a problem with this ruling. When I first read this post, I thought the cheerleaders were just quoting scripture, like someone would quote Shakespeare. But, the signs go beyond quoting scripture, they seem more like evangelizing to me.

It seems like someone is using the club to promote their religion. I assume many here would be against it if it were Muslims or Atheists, so why is it ok for Christians?

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
The school should shut this kind of activity down because it doesn't align with their mission as a cheerleaders is.

I never realized that cheerleaders had a mission. If their mission was to break the school budget by involving the school in a hideously expensive lawsuit footed by the taxpayers, mission accomplished!

Memo to these stupid chics, people go to the games to watch the game.... NOT YOU!!! If I were the principle, I would simply discontinue cheerleaders at sporting events and save the taxpayers some money. (Of course these cheerleaders would then file a lawsuit over that!!! Everything is about THEM after all.)

How much school spirit could these girls really have if they are willing to spend taxpayer money like water so they can spread the "word" (much like they spread their legs after the game for the qb). These girls should get a clue, get over themselves and give it up.

Last edited:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I never realized that cheerleaders had a mission. If their mission was to break the school budget by involving the school in a hideously expensive lawsuit footed by the taxpayers, mission accomplished!

Memo to these stupid chics, people go to the games to watch the game.... NOT YOU!!! If I were the principle, I would simply discontinue cheerleaders at sporting events and save the taxpayers some money. (Of course these cheerleaders would then file a lawsuit over that!!! Everything is about THEM after all.)

How much school spirit could these girls really have if they are willing to spend taxpayer money like water so they can spread the "word" (much like they spread their legs after the game for the qb). These girls should get a clue, get over themselves and give it up.

Except that they were spending their own money. The school chose to spend its money (taxpayer's money that is) to defend the school's actions. You can't put that on the cheerleaders.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
Do you think the judge made the right decision? Do the cheerleaders have the right to display their banners?

Completely legal assuming there was no public funds used at all (which seems to be the case).

However I think it is a completely self centered, inappropriate thing to do. Expected behavior for teenagers but I hope the adults advised them that it isn't a great idea even if it is allowed.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Based on the following, it appears the school tried to do the right thing and got sued anyways. The taxpayers got screwed because some Christian 3rd party intervened. Damn, I would HATE to be a taxpayer in that area. They are the true losers in this debacle. It will be ironic if the school has to give up football and all other activities due to lack of funds. I do not blame the school in this instance, they were screwed no matter which way they went. Only in America.....

The Freedom From Religion Foundation, a Wisconsin-based group that promotes the separation of church and state, sent the Kountze superintendent a letter last fall, complaining that the banners were a violation of the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment, which states that the government "shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

When the district tried to block the use of the banners in response to the group's letter, the Texas-based Liberty Institute, a group that says it is "dedicated to defending religious liberty in America," sued the school district on behalf of the cheerleaders.

If it turns out the cheerleaders backed the lawsuit.... SHAME ON THEM, for they did a GREAT DISSERVICE to the poor people paying the bills.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Pardon Incorruptible's continued long absences from his OP's ... he is too busy with ALT's...

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
If it turns out the cheerleaders backed the lawsuit.... SHAME ON THEM, for they did a GREAT DISSERVICE to the poor people paying the bills.

Guessing some of those "poor people paying the bills" didn't mind. They saw this as a service, not a disservice, worth paying for.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Cripes I pay 6K in property taxes (for the schools) and another 10K to send my kids to private school. I would be in a murderously foul mood if some airheaded cheerleaders in my district filed a frivolous lawsuit like this. If students or their parents don't like the FREE education that we taxpayers are paying for, they should feel free to go to a private school where they can get all the Christian indoctrination they could wish for.

This school tried to do the right thing. As a reward they have to pay (how much?) to defend a frigging retarded lawsuit. If the school relents and lets the cheerleaders have their inane banners, the athiests will sue and the taxpayers will pay for that as well. This will go to the Supreme Court and the legal bills could easily run over a million dollars.

If I were the principle, I would ban cheerleading at all sporting event effective immediately. There is no constitutional right for cheerleading, therefor no recourse at law. These airheads would then be more than welcome to bring their Jesus banners to the games and the taxpayers would not be left holding the tab for this silliness.

If the cheerleaders and their parents feel passionately about the banners, they should pony up the dough to pay the school's legal bills. Put their money where their mouths are, not the taxpayers.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Well this means that I am either a highly skilled debater who has vanquished my opponents..... or that I am boring the shit out of everybody. I wonder which one it is.